STOP SB3043 Permitting & Registration, Hearing PSM 2-3-22 1:10pm (Read 2025 times)

zippz

We need to stop SB3043 which negates some of our permitting and registration lawsuit wins in the Yukutake vs Conner lawsuit.   The bill does 4 things:
1.  Increases the Handgun permit expiration date from 10 days to 30 days - hesitantly SUPPORT, but still OPPOSE the overall bill
2.  Requires in person firearm registration and inspection of firearms at the county police departments for:
     a.  Out of state firearms brought into Hawaii  - OPPOSE
     b.  Private person to person sales.  - OPPOSE
     c.  "ghost guns" - OPPOSE

So basically only firearms bought from a local FFL would be eligible for remote firearms registration as won in my lawsuit, everything else would require you to waste your time going to the police department with your firearm to register.

The hearing is in the Senate Public Safety committee on Thursday February 3rd at 1:10pm.  Priority written testimony deadline or Zoom oral testimony request must be submitted 24 hours prior to avoid being late.
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=3043&year=2022

We have a possible 3 to 2 committee majority in our favor.  Please contact the committee Senators through phone and email.  If you live in their district, tell them that.
1.  Lynn DeCoite (Hana, East Maui, Lanai, Molokai) https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/memberpage.aspx?member=sendecoite&year=2022
2.  Gil Riviere (North shore Oahu - (Kaneohe to Kunia) https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/memberpage.aspx?member=riviere&year=2022
3.  Kurt Fevella (Ewa Beach)  https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/memberpage.aspx?member=fevella&year=2022

and the 2 anti-gun Senators
1.  Clarence Nishihara - (Waipahu to Pearl City) https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/memberpage.aspx?member=nishihara&year=2022
2.  Rosalyn Baker - (South & West Maui)  https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/memberpage.aspx?member=baker&year=2022

-------------------------------------------------------

Need help writing your testimony or using ZOOM?  Watch our ZOOM webinar for help.

Tuesday February 1 at 6pm
Thursday February 3 at 6pm
On ZOOM:  https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88523512868
On Facebook Live:  https://www.fb.com/hificoorg

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:10:47 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

Re: STOP SB3043 Permitting & Registration, Hearing PSM 2-3-22 1:10pm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »
I don't understand why a couple of photos uploaded with the registration application can't suffice in lieu of physical inspection.  If HPD has concerns after seeing the serial number and overall composition of the firearm in photos, they can request the owner bring the firearm in question to be inspected.  No need to make every single person jump through that hoop for every single private transfer, etc.

Same process can apply to out-of-state visitors and guns brought in from other states.

They seem to have no clue how to satisfy their stated needs without  making the process difficult for EVERYBODY.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »
I don't understand why a couple of photos uploaded with the registration application can't suffice in lieu of physical inspection.  If HPD has concerns after seeing the serial number and overall composition of the firearm in photos, they can request the owner bring the firearm in question to be inspected.  No need to make every single person jump through that hoop for every single private transfer, etc.

Same process can apply to out-of-state visitors and guns brought in from other states.

They seem to have no clue how to satisfy their stated needs without  making the process difficult for EVERYBODY.
That is because we have dickheads and assholes like Nishihara and Baker.

London808

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 06:01:10 PM »

The First ANTI-GUN bill is up for a hearing.

Testimony in OPPOSITION to SB3043 is required by 1:10 PM ON Wednesday 02/02

When writing your testimony, remember to share how this bill will affect you.

The negatives of this bill are it requires in-person firearm registration and inspection of firearms at the county police departments for:
a. Out of state firearms brought into Hawaii
b. Private person to person sales.
c. “ghost guns”
Currently, registration does not require inspection or an in-person visit. It is done online, via phone or e-mail and is working great.

Below are some guidelines of what you can talk about (DO NOT COPY PASTE)
-This bill will reimplement in-person registration, and this was already ruled unconstitutional in a federal court.
-This bill will reimplement firearms inspections, and this was already ruled unconstitutional
in a federal court.
-This bill will require additional days off work when registering firearms.
-This bill will require unnecessary travel with a firearm.
-This bill serves no public interest and has no effect on criminal use of firearms
-It will give us four different registration processes across the state.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=3043&year=2022
You will need to log in; REMEMBER TO SELECT OPPOSE!

Testimony in OPPOSITION to SB3043 is required by 1:10 PM ON Wednesday 02/02. When writing your testimony, remember to share how this bill will affect you.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

stangzilla

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 02:55:02 PM »
done

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 05:20:43 PM »
ditto
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Direjackalope

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 06:40:54 PM »
SHWING!

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 09:12:37 PM »
I submitted my testimony this afternoon :shaka:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »
Continue submitting  written testimony for tomorrows hearing, 2-3-22 at 1:10pm.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 09:38:04 AM »
Zoom hearing is today at 1:10pm. Please attend, you don't have to testify. We just need to show them that we care.  Last year on average there were about 6 of us on the zoom meetings.  Which is kind of sad considering it can be done on the toilet. We had more in person attendance pre-COVID. Which means people would have to take time off from work, find parking and walk over to the capitol. Zoom makes it so much easier.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 11:20:36 AM »
Zoom hearing is today at 1:10pm. Please attend, you don't have to testify. We just need to show them that we care.  Last year on average there were about 6 of us on the zoom meetings.  Which is kind of sad considering it can be done on the toilet. We had more in person attendance pre-COVID. Which means people would have to take time off from work, find parking and walk over to the capitol. Zoom makes it so much easier.

FYI:  According to the public notice -- "If you wish to testify via videoconference you must also submit written testimony."

Also, "A live stream of all Senate Standing Committee meetings will be available on the Senate YouTube Channel."

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 11:39:18 AM »
Here's the YouTube link if you don't want to use Zoom:

PSM, PSM DEFER Public Hearings 02-03-2022 1:10pm

-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 01:58:09 PM »
Testimonies 198 oppose and 5 support. Of the 5 who support, it's HPD, Hawaii PD, and Attorney General, and 2 individuals.

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »
Bill defered till next meeting. Which means good news for us. It wasnt a simple slam dunk anti 2a bill. The committee really needs to take a 2nd look at it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

London808

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 04:50:29 PM »
Cut version of testimonies.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 09:19:21 AM »
The bill has been deferred indefinably per Nishihara's office.

zippz

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 09:50:25 AM »
We had our first major hearing for SB3043 in PSM committee.  Around 230 opposition testimonies, a few supporting ones from AG, Hawaii and Honolulu PD, and couple individuals.  Notably absent are the NRA, Mom's Demand Action, local progressive church, nor any mention with other gun control groups.  MDA submitted a court brief opposing the lawsuit so it's interesting they did not submit testimony.  Maybe this isn't an exciting issue, or difficult to judge for or against, or the rumors are true they aren't as active this year.  Typical opposition points that were rejected in the lawsuit.  Interferes with gun tracing, people making mistakes recording serial numbers, need to inspect for illegal guns.

For the live hearing, Baker was absent so it was 3 gun rights Senators to 1 anti (Nishihara).  Testimony times were limited to 1 minute which was unexpectedly short.  I had planned for 2 so had to revise my script and cut it in half and really condensed where I could in the minutes before I was up.  The Attorney General was first up with an intro and read off the components of the bi....TIMES UP!!!!  She got cut off before she got into making her points supporting the bill.  It was funny.  There were 6 live testimonies in opposition.  We need a lot more than that.

Bill was deferred.

The house bill is up for a hearing.  I was giving a 50/50% chance of getting a House hearing since it died in the Senate, we have a strong lawsuit win, PD's have already implemented remote registration, and the SCOTUS NYSRPA decision will be announced in a couple of months.  Nakashima appears to be more balanced and moderate as JHA chair than prior to taking that position.  There's a good chance he will defer HB2075 or make favorable amendments to it.  There's a chance it could wind up badly in the Senate if PSM declines to hold another hearing for the bill and Rhoads in JDC changes it back to the original language and passes it.  Then it would be in the court's hands again.