AR15 Light Primer Strikes (Read 4501 times)

changemyoil66

Re: AR15 Light Primer Strikes
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 03:17:50 PM »
Chamber and bolt head are different zones.

Is this the chamber brush you are using? 

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technology-FG-367-TP-Chamber-Brush/dp/B000E59A8E

Q-tip and dental picks?  Bruh. . .  ;D
Thata the one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »

Like dis? 

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2022, 05:13:58 PM »
Wow.

ren

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2022, 05:19:27 PM »
Wow.

Chinese made bolt....
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2022, 05:53:15 PM »
Here you go

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5-56-nitride-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-516446953.html

I can also get you a good deal on a Colt BCG. It will be at least 2x the PSA BCG above tho.

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
Btw, what brand was that BCG? 3k rounds is light work for a bolt.

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2022, 05:58:01 PM »
She doesnt remember, but it wasnt name brand as its a rainbow colored BCG. She wants to keep the BCG, so im asking LGS if they just have a bolt for sale.

If none in stock, ill prob order a BCM bolt. Thoughts?

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2022, 06:08:53 PM »
She doesnt remember, but it wasnt name brand as its a rainbow colored BCG. She wants to keep the BCG, so im asking LGS if they just have a bolt for sale.

If none in stock, ill prob order a BCM bolt. Thoughts?

I think you should look more at function over looks… ;D

BCM BCGs are solid. I have a couple. Sometimes hard to find in stock tho.

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »
I think you should look more at function over looks… ;D

BCM BCGs are solid. I have a couple. Sometimes hard to find in stock tho.
Tell that to the woman. Im hoping it was just the weak bolt, as in no name BCG, which means no name componants (bolt).

So a name brand bolt prevents this from happening this soon.

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »
Tell that to the woman. Im hoping it was just the weak bolt, as in no name BCG, which means no name componants (bolt).

So a name brand bolt prevents this from happening this soon.

You can just buy a bolt. I have one, maybe two BCM spare bolts. The bolt you posted is stamped MPI. $hit happens tho, but less often for a quality bolt. I’ve mostly seen the lugs get sheared off.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-ar15-bolt-assembly-mpi/

sa594

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2022, 09:59:15 PM »
Regarding elfman triggers, I no longer trust them. I have sent 2 to them twice and 1 was sent once. Their customer service and warranty is great but that doesn't do me any good when the trigger does not function 100% of the time. The last go around was during a class and I started getting light strikes,  I had just gotten the trigger back from them..While it did allow me to practice malfunction drills it's a product I no longer have confidence in.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2022, 10:55:36 PM »
Regarding elfman triggers, I no longer trust them. I have sent 2 to them twice and 1 was sent once. Their customer service and warranty is great but that doesn't do me any good when the trigger does not function 100% of the time. The last go around was during a class and I started getting light strikes,  I had just gotten the trigger back from them..While it did allow me to practice malfunction drills it's a product I no longer have confidence in.

I just watched a YT video today that said the Elfman triggers that offer a lighter pull weight are notorious for causing light primer strikes.  Makes sense.  Weaker spring = less hammer force. 

I saw the same on my G17 when I tried the lighter springs that came with my upgrade trigger.  The striker just didn't have the force to pierce the thicker primers on the Fiocchi 9mm ammo I bought.  My OEM spring has no problem with the ammo.

Are there primers with super-thin casings for these light-weight springs?  If not, i have to wonder why the springs exist.   ???
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Thanks to all those helped.  I didn't realize that so many had an extra bolt.  I got like 4 messages.

I had DCT order me a CMMG bolt becuase Mrs. CMO needs it by next Saturday if she gets into the HDF combo skill builder.  David said he can get it by next week.  And if not, she can borrow 1 of his bolts.  He will also do the go/no go check.  I could get it for cheaper online, but I want to support him since he did so much for the 2A (online registration, just to name 1 thing).

Since so many have extra bolts (a few have 2+), I call that a clue.  So I ordered a BCM bolt, cam pin, and extractor/extractor spring set from BCM as well.  IDK how long it will take to arrive. I have a firing pin somewhere at home because I bought 1 when I first got my AR thinking it would eventually break, which now I know is super rare.  Funny thing is the plan was to put it inside my compartment I have on my Magpul butstock, but it doesn't fit.  At least I can put  an extra battery for the red dot in there and hex key for the red dot.

B4 I disassembled the BCG, I played with the firing pin and it made a click every time I pushed it to have it protrude out the other end.  So I compared this to my M&P15 BCG and there's no click. I also had to push way harder compared to my M&P15 BCG firing pin.

The interesting thing will be to see if the new bolt fails so soon again.  Because then we know it's another issue.  But this failure took about 4-5 years. So I'll have to update everyone way later if it happens.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:08:58 PM by changemyoil66 »

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2022, 12:22:31 PM »
Thanks to all those helped.  I didn't realize that so many had an extra bolt.  I got like 4 messages.

I had DCT order me a CMMG bolt becuase Mrs. CMO needs it by next Saturday if she gets into the HDF combo skill builder.  David said he can get it by next week.  And if not, she can borrow 1 of his bolts.  He will also do the go/no go check.  I could get it for cheaper online, but I want to support him since he did so much for the 2A (online registration, just to name 1 thing).

Since so many have extra bolts (a few have 2+), I call that a clue.  So I ordered a BCM bolt, cam pin, and extractor/extractor spring set from BCM as well.  IDK how long it will take to arrive. I have a firing pin somewhere at home because I bought 1 when I first got my AR thinking it would eventually break, which now I know is super rare.  Funny thing is the plan was to put it inside my compartment I have on my Magpul butstock, but it doesn't fit.  At least I can put  an extra battery for the red dot in there and hex key for the red dot.

B4 I disassembled the BCG, I played with the firing pin and it made a click every time I pushed it to have it protrude out the other end.  So I compared this to my M&P15 BCG and there's no click. I also had to push way harder compared to my M&P15 BCG firing pin.

The interesting thing will be to see if the new bolt fails so soon again.  Because then we know it's another issue.  But this failure took about 4-5 years. So I'll have to update everyone way later if it happens.
If you had a backup AR, then no worries. . .  ;D

You get a pass.  You invested in ammo for MOAR shooting, so  :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2022, 12:50:17 PM »
If you had a backup AR, then no worries. . .  ;D

You get a pass.  You invested in ammo for MOAR shooting, so  :thumbsup:

I have a backup lower at least and ammo. Lots, well not like 20K lots, but enough ammo for constant training.

changemyoil66

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »
Add a 5th friend who has a spare bolt and offered.  Geezez.

Lihikai

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2022, 06:54:30 PM »
Please report if changing out the bolt solved the problem.  Thanks

changemyoil66

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2022, 08:42:37 PM »
Please report if changing out the bolt solved the problem.  Thanks
New bolt came in to Danger Close, gonna pick it up tomorrow and run this saturday. Check the pic above, im sure it was the bolt. Or amazing coincidence.

When i pressed the firing pin with my finger on the broken bolt, there was a clicking sound. Once i changed it out, no clicking.

Heavies

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:42 AM »
Check if light strike rounds are properly sized. Sometimes ammo quickly produced, such as now days ammo crunch, is not correctly or accurately made.

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »
Check if light strike rounds are properly sized. Sometimes ammo quickly produced, such as now days ammo crunch, is not correctly or accurately made.

Too late, I fired them from my rifle. We are taking a skill builder on Sat and I will be running the same case of ammo (Federal XM193).  For the last skill builder, we both ran the same ammo case and I had no light strikes.  I'm pretty sure it was the cracked bolt.  See above clicking reference.