Sig P320 Addiction - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 3877 times)

drck1000

Sig P320 Addiction - Experiences and Recommendations
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:05:28 AM »
Dipping my toes into the Sig P320 world.  I have LONG wanted a P320 X-Five Legion, but held off for a number of reasons.  The cost of mags as well as having to get all of the support gear were the main reasons.  I had plenty of opportunities to pick up the X-Five Legion from friends along the way for great prices, but even then held off.

Bought a P320 X-Full with Romeo.  In the waiting period now. 

I was always interested in the P320 series for a while, so looking forward into having one for myself.  I thought about getting one a while back for USPSA Production, but then I got super busy with work.  Blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses. 

I've read and seen a number of videos of how folks got a P300 series addiction.  Some started with P320 and then on to P365.  Some starting with P365 and on to P320.  For me, I recently bought a Glock 43x and was looking at a P365XL as well.  Since I have to go through the PTA process anyways, might as well "maximize"  No P365 in stock locally (at least the LGSs I checked).   However, one did have the X-Full in-stock and got the bug. 

Anyone else a P320 & P365 fan? 

changemyoil66

Re: Sig P320 Addiction - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »
I've tried various P320's since they came out.  IMO, on paper, it's a solid gun. Esp for HI cause u can just change the module and slides.

Even the X with that graphite to add weight on paper sounds awesome. It checks all the dots as do other models.  But in actually shooting them, I'm not a fan.  The gun feels top heavy and unbalanced. Not noticeable when pulling the trigger, but noticeable when dry firing and aiming.  This isn't too big of a deal if it helped big time with recoil, which it didn't. 

Then all the triggers when dry firing felt like mush. My VP9 trigger feels better. Again, only noticeable when dry firing. As when the gun goes bang, I can't tell the diff. So again, by it's self, not a big deal.

Then add in the huge mark up SIG does. Since the M17 program came out, we know now what it cost to make 1.  I'm sure other guns are the same, but not as internet guru advertised by an easy google search. But not too big of a deal by itself.

So I keep mentioning the above "by itself". By now add in all of them together, which is why I haven't bought 1. I was really leaning toward it cause I can get various sizes without having to buy another gun and go thru the HI process of PTA/reg.  And I still didn't get 1 yet.  Plus it looks super tacicool.

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
I've tried various P320's since they came out.  IMO, on paper, it's a solid gun. Esp for HI cause u can just change the module and slides.

Even the X with that graphite to add weight on paper sounds awesome. It checks all the dots as do other models.  But in actually shooting them, I'm not a fan.  The gun feels top heavy and unbalanced. Not noticeable when pulling the trigger, but noticeable when dry firing and aiming.  This isn't too big of a deal if it helped big time with recoil, which it didn't. 

Then all the triggers when dry firing felt like mush. My VP9 trigger feels better. Again, only noticeable when dry firing. As when the gun goes bang, I can't tell the diff. So again, by it's self, not a big deal.

Then add in the huge mark up SIG does. Since the M17 program came out, we know now what it cost to make 1.  I'm sure other guns are the same, but not as internet guru advertised by an easy google search. But not too big of a deal by itself.

So I keep mentioning the above "by itself". By now add in all of them together, which is why I haven't bought 1. I was really leaning toward it cause I can get various sizes without having to buy another gun and go thru the HI process of PTA/reg.  And I still didn't get 1 yet.  Plus it looks super tacicool.
Tungsten?  There are weights in the grip modules as well as other weights that can be added.  I ordered the Tungsten infused grip module as well.  Believe it's the same one that comes with the X-Five Legion.

The differences in trigger pulls was another aspect that kept me from the Sig P320, or another other pistol really.  I had come full circle on Glock, then adding PPQ, CZ SP-01, etc, and back to Glock.  The hope is that I'll get back into shooting more when work calms down in Sep, so a lot more shooting with my "usual" Glock 19s and eventually 43x.  But also want to try to see what else is out there. 

Sig also has a great pricing program for NRA Instructors. . .  :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 09:38:15 AM »
Tungsten?  There are weights in the grip modules as well as other weights that can be added.  I ordered the Tungsten infused grip module as well.  Believe it's the same one that comes with the X-Five Legion.

The differences in trigger pulls was another aspect that kept me from the Sig P320, or another other pistol really.  I had come full circle on Glock, then adding PPQ, CZ SP-01, etc, and back to Glock.  The hope is that I'll get back into shooting more when work calms down in Sep, so a lot more shooting with my "usual" Glock 19s and eventually 43x.  But also want to try to see what else is out there. 

Sig also has a great pricing program for NRA Instructors. . .  :thumbsup:

No focus, tungsten.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 11:33:30 AM »
I sold my P320 to my SIL.  It was my favorite after my P226.  He was looking for his first handgun, so I sold him that and my Sig 1911 Nightmare Fastback -- my 2 favorite guns.

I figure with the P320 "family" of handguns expanding as it is, I'd be just as happy, or happier, with a different flavor of P320.  So, I'll wait until a good deal on a great model comes along.

There's so much to like about the P320 platform.  Striker fired, trigger, weight, ergonomics, etc.  The fact that you can also use the FCG module in other size and caliber X-Change kits is another plus.

It shoots great, and I ran close to 1K rds in it out of the box without cleaning.  No jams or malfunctions.  The one thing I had to get used to is the complete lack of "take up" on the trigger.  One of the exercises we did at Front Sight was fire two rounds, do a tactical reload, then keep the pistol trained on the target while taking up the slack on the trigger.  Both times my gun went "bang!" when it was supposed to just be ready to fire!  At least I hit the center of the target both times!   :rofl:  A little embarrassing, but the trainers understood.  That's one reason we train -- weapon familiarity.

I can't think of anything on the original P320 Nitride I bought to complain about.  I even got it as soon as OGC had it on sale after they first came out before the prices started going crazy.  Once the popularity and military selections kicked in, they were easily going for 50%-100% more than I paid.

Sent it back for the "voluntary upgrade" / non-recall trigger swap after the drop-fire problem was discovered.  The trigger used to "click" when it was unloaded and the firing pin not yet set.  Now, it's like a Glock. Pull the trigger when unloaded and not yet racked, and you get no click.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:51:37 AM »

Sent it back for the "voluntary upgrade" / non-recall trigger swap after the drop-fire problem was discovered.  The trigger used to "click" when it was unloaded and the firing pin not yet set.  Now, it's like a Glock. Pull the trigger when unloaded and not yet racked, and you get no click.

You talking about having  a dead trigger? If yes, then the VP9 gets this if you hit it with a hammer at a certain angle. A drop could not duplicate this, it has to be with a hammer. A dead trigger is much better than the gun going bang. Glad yours didn't have to be fixed.  And tap/rack solves this because all u gotta do is reset the trigger by racking the slide.

I'm sure OP knows this, but all the newer models have solved this problem. it was the OG ones that had to be sent back for a free correction.  And the P365s didn't have this issue like how the 320 did.

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »
just got my 365 recently.  shot it a few times, no malfunctions.
I like it bc its small and holds 10 rounds, they make 15 round mags but the gestapo here won't let us use those
I also like that you can change the grip modules.  I thought about getting the 365X/XL module for it, but I decided against that for now bc I want to keep this my small micro compact.  I could change my mind later, who knows.  but  its a simple swap, and not too expensive
I did order a same size grip module.  its a factory SIG 365 grip, with a camouflage cerakote.  so mainly just for looks.
I shot my friends P320X5 Legion with Romeo and it shoots very well

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 12:40:23 PM »

I'm thinking of picking one up. :thumbsup:

I'm already a fan of the P365.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 12:45:32 PM »
You talking about having  a dead trigger? If yes, then the VP9 gets this if you hit it with a hammer at a certain angle. A drop could not duplicate this, it has to be with a hammer. A dead trigger is much better than the gun going bang. Glad yours didn't have to be fixed.  And tap/rack solves this because all u gotta do is reset the trigger by racking the slide.

I'm sure OP knows this, but all the newer models have solved this problem. it was the OG ones that had to be sent back for a free correction.  And the P365s didn't have this issue like how the 320 did.
"you know nothing, Jon Snow"

The "born on date" of my P320 is about 2 months ago. . .

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »
just got my 365 recently.  shot it a few times, no malfunctions.
I like it bc its small and holds 10 rounds, they make 15 round mags but the gestapo here won't let us use those
I also like that you can change the grip modules.  I thought about getting the 365X/XL module for it, but I decided against that for now bc I want to keep this my small micro compact.  I could change my mind later, who knows.  but  its a simple swap, and not too expensive
I did order a same size grip module.  its a factory SIG 365 grip, with a camouflage cerakote.  so mainly just for looks.
I shot my friends P320X5 Legion with Romeo and it shoots very well
That's pretty much what started my interest in the P320 line.  I shot one of the early X-Five releases, as well as saw that the shooter could go with it (they had recently completed Sig training and qualification/testing).  Damn impressive. 

Does your 365 have the flat faced trigger?  Or the curved? 

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »
I'm thinking of picking one up. :thumbsup:

I'm already a fan of the P365.
:geekdanc:

Do it!  Join the micro pistol movement!   8)

This is the most excited I've been about new pistols in a while.  I've shot the 42 and 43 quite a bit before and thought they were ok to good.  Just had no real interest in owning one. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 12:54:19 PM »
:geekdanc:

This is the most excited I've been about new pistols in a while.

U need a M45A1.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 12:59:57 PM »
U need a M45A1.
I can't affort that much .45 ACP!  I'm not big ballah like you! 

Wait, I have been working a $hit ton of OT lately.  I'd be down if I could get one for like $500.  Yours for sale?  ;D

Akubone1

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 01:27:45 PM »
Dipping my toes into the Sig P320 world.  I have LONG wanted a P320 X-Five Legion, but held off for a number of reasons.  The cost of mags as well as having to get all of the support gear were the main reasons.  I had plenty of opportunities to pick up the X-Five Legion from friends along the way for great prices, but even then held off.

Bought a P320 X-Full with Romeo.  In the waiting period now. 

I was always interested in the P320 series for a while, so looking forward into having one for myself.  I thought about getting one a while back for USPSA Production, but then I got super busy with work.  Blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses. 

I've read and seen a number of videos of how folks got a P300 series addiction.  Some started with P320 and then on to P365.  Some starting with P365 and on to P320.  For me, I recently bought a Glock 43x and was looking at a P365XL as well.  Since I have to go through the PTA process anyways, might as well "maximize"  No P365 in stock locally (at least the LGSs I checked).   However, one did have the X-Full in-stock and got the bug. 

I got the P320 X Compact with Romeo red dot.  Good little gun and maybe I’ll use it for carry one day.  Also got the X5 Legion.  I upgraded the trigger with Armory craft trigger and gas pedal.  Both are ok guns but I wouldn’t compare shoot ability to my CZ Shadow 2 or my 1911.

pacwire

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 03:06:27 PM »
I have a number of Sigs

Started with a "Basic" full Size P320

Got a P320 compact and two only FCU's

P365XL Spectre (not impressed with gold Barrel Wear)  Changed to Comp Match Barrel- Added MANUAL Safety
1-ea P320 X5 Legion
1-ea P320 X5 Legion XCarry
1-ea M17 Exchange Kit
1-ea M18 Exchange Kit (Cant use Magazine here)

I also have an Exchange Kit P320 in 40 Cal (all other pistols are 9mm)

I like the Sig's for the Modular Aspect.

So i have the SIGness!

Aloha!

macsak

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 03:43:00 PM »

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 04:30:36 PM »
I got the P320 X Compact with Romeo red dot.  Good little gun and maybe I’ll use it for carry one day.  Also got the X5 Legion.  I upgraded the trigger with Armory craft trigger and gas pedal.  Both are ok guns but I wouldn’t compare shoot ability to my CZ Shadow 2 or my 1911.
I have a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target II.  If I had one with RDS, that would be a fun side-by-side.  Probably would be for the same purpose, at least for me, which is primarily competition. 

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 04:31:40 PM »
I have a number of Sigs

Started with a "Basic" full Size P320

Got a P320 compact and two only FCU's

P365XL Spectre (not impressed with gold Barrel Wear)  Changed to Comp Match Barrel- Added MANUAL Safety
1-ea P320 X5 Legion
1-ea P320 X5 Legion XCarry
1-ea M17 Exchange Kit
1-ea M18 Exchange Kit (Cant use Magazine here)

I also have an Exchange Kit P320 in 40 Cal (all other pistols are 9mm)

I like the Sig's for the Modular Aspect.

So i have the SIGness!

Aloha!
Wow! You got it bad!  ;D

Where did you buy just the FCG? 

esk808

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2022, 10:07:30 PM »

Sorry to throw this blog off subject, but I got 3 tungsten rods (weights) that are inserted into the Wilson Combat grip module for the P365.
Reviews say that it settles down the pistol with just a little weight.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GRIP-WEIGHT-KIT-TUNGSTEN-WCP320-_-365-GRIP-MODULE/productinfo/NW734/

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 07:23:40 AM »
Sorry to throw this blog off subject, but I got 3 tungsten rods (weights) that are inserted into the Wilson Combat grip module for the P365.
Reviews say that it settles down the pistol with just a little weight.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GRIP-WEIGHT-KIT-TUNGSTEN-WCP320-_-365-GRIP-MODULE/productinfo/NW734/
Cool.  Thanks!  I was looking at the W/C modules.  Like the variety that is offered, particularly with grip shape and textures.

I ordered the X Legion grip module that (at least I believe) already has tungsten weights built-in or infused.  They do have weights you can add as well.  I just went with the basic for now and will shoot it a while and see.  Interesting that there are so many options for the weighting of the P320 series.  Other manufacturers have heavy or grip options, but not that many with adjustable weight kits.