Pistol RDS - Closed Emitter - Experiences & Recommendations (Read 12546 times)

drck1000

Re: Pistol RDS - Closed Emitter - Experiences & Recommendations
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2022, 07:51:20 AM »
EPS (full size) in stock at Midway this morning.  The EPS Carry that was in stock yesterday was the MRD version and it went pretty fast. 

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
I have experience with the ACRO P2 and 509T X2.

The 509T X2 has a slight magnification and reticle distortion (if using the circle dot only) when looking through the glass. Not enough to have me get rid of it or not get another one but I do notice it when trying to smack small steel at 100 meters on the silhouette side of Kokohead. In relation to the 508Ts that I own, distortion is only every so slightly worse, but honestly if I wasn't looking for it I don't think I would notice it. At the end of the day this reticle still let's me shred through the 50 meter targets pretty easily at the silhouette range. And when shooting with both eyes open, I feel every con I talked about is a moot point.

As far as the ACRO P2, hands down unbeatable as far as glass clarity and dot crispness. The ACRO sports a 3.5 MOA but the dot is so crisp and clean as far as looking the most "circular" that it actually looks the same size if not smaller than the 2 MOA "smudge" I see when I look through the 509T X2. I can't detect any magnification, nor notch filter/tint. After using and looking through it I can see that the price does indeed match the quality. Not saying you should be a sniper with a pistol but the quality of this pistol optic allows me to hit the smallest of steel at 100 meters on the silhouette range. The glass is that damn clear.

At the end of the day I am verring towards enclosed pistol optics all together. Not only do I like having the emitter protected but I do like that now when lint collects on the glass of the optic I no longer have to "finger" the inside lens to clean all that crap out. Its simply wipe the eye glass and objective glass and no lint or foreign debris has a chance on getting in the emitter.
Great feedback!  I had a bunch of folks comment about the quality of glass and slight magnification of the RMRs.  The blue tint is part of the battery life considerations, which was part of the "downfall" of the P1 version.  The slight magnification doesn't bother me, but if there are better options available, all the better. 

The blockiness of the ACRO does give me pause, but guess depends on primary/intended use.

I will have the EPS Carry on a gun and shooting soon, but I'm already very much on the closed emitter optics train.  Just a matter of trying for myself first, especially now since I'm expanding my RDS pistol lineup. 

drck1000

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2022, 03:02:49 PM »
Put the EPS Carry on the 43x. Seems like a nice balance for a pistol that size. The window seems larger when on the gun for some reason. In dry fire, window is plenty big.

The compact body of the RDS makes securing the hex screws a little tougher. I usually use hex bits with a torque limiter. The back end of the housing makes using 1/4 hex bits tough to remove after tightening if the bit ends up with the pointy side on the body. So just used the supplied hex key.

This is the 2 moa version EPS Carry. The dot comes out a lot larger in the pic than to the naked eye. I’m the dot size seems like a good balance for the smaller window. Will shoot it and see, but I’m already wanting to the the EPS “regular” size on a Glock 19.

esk808

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2022, 04:30:15 PM »
Put the EPS Carry on the 43x. Seems like a nice balance for a pistol that size. The window seems larger when on the gun for some reason. In dry fire, window is plenty big.

The compact body of the RDS makes securing the hex screws a little tougher. I usually use hex bits with a torque limiter. The back end of the housing makes using 1/4 hex bits tough to remove after tightening if the bit ends up with the pointy side on the body. So just used the supplied hex key.

This is the 2 moa version EPS Carry. The dot comes out a lot larger in the pic than to the naked eye. I’m the dot size seems like a good balance for the smaller window. Will shoot it and see, but I’m already wanting to the the EPS “regular” size on a Glock 19.

I have the P365 (standard) and leaning towards the Acro P2.  Wonder if the P365 is wide enough for P2 insofar as mounting......?

If not, then the EPS Carry would be a good one, but same question:  Is the P365 wide enough for the EPS Carry?

WTF?Shane

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2022, 04:31:35 PM »

I re-used the screws that came from CHPWS which were chamfered, so I was able to get them at a slight angle with an extension.

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2022, 05:53:18 PM »
I have the P365 (standard) and leaning towards the Acro P2.  Wonder if the P365 is wide enough for P2 insofar as mounting......?

If not, then the EPS Carry would be a good one, but same question:  Is the P365 wide enough for the EPS Carry?
I know the P365 goes well with the 507k and therefore also the EPS Carry.

I am considering the ACRO for either a G17 or in my (or a) P320. I can say for sure, but pretty sure the ACRO is too big for the P365. I guess you prob could find a way to get it milled or mount to work, but the ACRO is pretty wide.

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2022, 05:54:36 PM »
I re-used the screws that came from CHPWS which were chamfered, so I was able to get them at a slight angle with an extension.
Yeah, I noticed that. I used the screws that the shop that milled my 43x slide provided. The screws that came with the CHPWS plate looked about 3x as long.

changemyoil66

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2022, 06:16:45 PM »
The CH screws are their custom made. Something like T3 screw with a T4 head.

Did the eps carry come with plates? I read somewhere that it does.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

esk808

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »
I know the P365 goes well with the 507k and therefore also the EPS Carry.

I am considering the ACRO for either a G17 or in my (or a) P320. I can say for sure, but pretty sure the ACRO is too big for the P365. I guess you prob could find a way to get it milled or mount to work, but the ACRO is pretty wide.

Thanks.  I'll go with the EPS Carry....soon. 
Got several things going right now - Italian stock, SEB Neo-X, maybe another March scope......

drck1000

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
The CH screws are their custom made. Something like T3 screw with a T4 head.

Did the eps carry come with plates? I read somewhere that it does.

Yes, it came with an adapter plate. 

I didn't end up using the CH plate/set that I have, since I put the EPS Carry on a gun that was milled for that footprint.  However, yes, the screw is a Torx head, which I prefer over the 1/16" hex screws.

drck1000

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2022, 09:37:24 AM »

Thanks.  I'll go with the EPS Carry....soon. 
Got several things going right now - Italian stock, SEB Neo-X, maybe another March scope......
Sign up for notification on Midway.  They seem to have some coming in weekly.  Or you can preorder from Midway, CH, Brownells, etc. 

I'm in the same boat.  Bolt action still going with 22lr rifle pushed on the site for a bit. 

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2022, 02:50:28 PM »
Brownells has EPS "regular" in stock.  Both basic and MRS/solar models.

drck1000

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2022, 03:37:55 PM »
Gunfunnit. . . coupon code $45 off $250 doesn't work on Holosun. . .  :(

Heavies

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2022, 07:05:18 PM »
I've just received the EPS carry (green) that I preordered from Brownells.  Looks to be nearly the same as the 407K, except the hood is slightly elongated to house the rear glass.  The dot is clear like the 407K, footprint is the same, rear back up notch sight is the same, looks pretty solid.   

changemyoil66

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2022, 08:21:47 PM »
Thats what i like abt the eps carry, 507k or 407k, no need supressor sights.

drck1000

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2022, 08:04:38 AM »
I've just received the EPS carry (green) that I preordered from Brownells.  Looks to be nearly the same as the 407K, except the hood is slightly elongated to house the rear glass.  The dot is clear like the 407K, footprint is the same, rear back up notch sight is the same, looks pretty solid.   
NICE!  What pistol are you going to put it on?

I've had mine for a while, but still haven't shot it. Might try to shoot it this weekend, but where I will be shooting at isn't set up well for shooting on paper.  But looking forward to shooting the 43x with the EPS Carry. 

The stock on Brownells still had some this morning, with only the red 2 MOA out. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2022, 08:55:24 AM »
NICE!  What pistol are you going to put it on?

I've had mine for a while, but still haven't shot it. Might try to shoot it this weekend, but where I will be shooting at isn't set up well for shooting on paper.  But looking forward to shooting the 43x with the EPS Carry. 

The stock on Brownells still had some this morning, with only the red 2 MOA out.

Out of stock as of last night.

drck1000

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2022, 09:48:30 AM »
Out of stock as of last night.
Red 6 MOA and Green 2 and 6 MOA still in stock.

Interesting that the green costs more. . . I am tempted to try one actually

changemyoil66

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2022, 09:56:58 AM »
Red 6 MOA and Green 2 and 6 MOA still in stock.

Interesting that the green costs more. . . I am tempted to try one actually

I actually like the green vs red. But there's a reason why almost all experts have red. I'm taking the clue.

But at the same time, the EPS carry is now growing on me. You and Heavies already making the switch and so are the YT'ers that I've been watching. I haven't really watched any RDS vids because I had no intention of upgrading until recently.

Just wait till Trijicon makes an enclosed RDS. All the guys like Garand Thumb, T-Rex, Colin Noir, etc...gonna be getting it.

drck1000

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »
I actually like the green vs red. But there's a reason why almost all experts have red. I'm taking the clue.

But at the same time, the EPS carry is now growing on me. You and Heavies already making the switch and so are the YT'ers that I've been watching. I haven't really watched any RDS vids because I had no intention of upgrading until recently.

Just wait till Trijicon makes an enclosed RDS. All the guys like Garand Thumb, T-Rex, Colin Noir, etc...gonna be getting it.
I've seen/read about some high level folks preferring green for either dot optic or fiber optic front sight.  Depends on how our eye picks things up as well as color blindness.  I've met a lot of folks who have red color blindness.  Pretty interesting on the ranges of color blindness.  I haven't really tried green on any rifle or pistol.  I have shot friends' guns that had green FO front sights and some of them are blazingly bright. 

I wouldn't say I'm switching to the EPS, but definitely belly flopping into the closed emitter dots.  Once I find an ACRO in stock, I will be putting one on a Glock 17.  Verifying for myself. 

Same for me though.  I had no interest in new RDS or pistols for that matter for a while.  Had been mostly on bolt action rifles, both 22 and centerfire.  Still very much into those, but re-energized with RDS pistols.  Hope to get out to shoot some matches soon, but with RDS vice production.  You should come out.  I am even planning on shooting the 43 or 48 in a match.  ;D