Subcompact (micro, slimline, etc) Pistols - Experiences & Recommendations (Read 426 times)

drck1000

Sharing experiences and recommendations on subcompact pistols, like Glock 43/43x/48, Sig P365 variants, etc.

I recently bought a Glock 43x and 48 MOS.  Got the 43x milled for the Holosun K footprint and put on an EPS Carry.  With the micro/slimline pistols becoming a lot more popular, I wanted to see for myself.  I have shot many in the past, but just a mag or two of friends' guns or other folks who came to various range days. 

For CCW, my primary is Glock 19.  I have tons of rounds with them in training, classes, and some competition.  I have carried it here and there when/where legal.  While I can conceal it just fine, I assumed a smaller pistol would/could be a benefit.  So wanted to try for myself. 

I have about 300 or so rounds with the 43x.  I have a couple of IWB holsters and a OWB holster.  Still getting used to shooting it.  Overall, I enjoy shooting the 43x, but shoot the 19 way better.  I think mostly due to the grip stippling I have on the 19, as well as the width of the 19 allows for a more comfortable or maybe familiar grip.  I plan to get the either the 43x or 48 stippled soon and see if that changes things.  I can get a comfortable grip on the 43x, but seems like my hands are fighting for space.  Results on paper are also way better with the 19, but assume mostly because of familiarity. 

No malfunctions or other issues with the 43x so far.  The only issue I noticed was that when I changed out the mag release to a Vickers, the mags wouldn't drop as well as with the stock release.  I have the Vickers on all of my other Glocks (19, 17, 34) and they work well.  For the 43x, the profile seemed lower than the stock.  So I went back to the stock mag release. 

I've shot the P365 side-by-side with the 43x.  The P365 XL or Macro do interest me a little, but will likely stick with the 43x and see how about 1000 rounds go.  I had hoped to shoot the 43x in a match in carry optics, but that won't happen for a while. . .  :(

changemyoil66

The only gun I CCW'd was a VP9 w/WML.  Then when I got my Shield Plus, there was a noticeable difference in carrying it.  The Shield is lighter, thinner, and shorter.  So overall less bulky.  And this is even with the IWB sidecar for the mag.  I find the Shield IWB set up still less bulky.  So I would assume this goes with all compact/subcompact pistols.

I'm not 1 of those who would not carry a gun due to the humbug (bulkyness) of carrying it.  To me the benefits outweigh the cons.

Shooting wise between the 2, on paper the VP9 should be easier to shoot.  But in practice, eh Indian problems.

drck1000

The only gun I CCW'd was a VP9 w/WML.  Then when I got my Shield Plus, there was a noticeable difference in carrying it.  The Shield is lighter, thinner, and shorter.  So overall less bulky.  And this is even with the IWB sidecar for the mag.  I find the Shield IWB set up still less bulky.  So I would assume this goes with all compact/subcompact pistols.

I'm not 1 of those who would not carry a gun due to the humbug (bulkyness) of carrying it.  To me the benefits outweigh the cons.

Shooting wise between the 2, on paper the VP9 should be easier to shoot.  But in practice, eh Indian problems.
I used to CCW a 17.  That was all I had.  I did have a HK USP 40 Compact with holsters and stuff, but didn't carry it after getting my 17.  This was when I still lived in WA state. 

It's always the arrow bow, duh. . .