Long gun permit (Read 6617 times)

konu78

Long gun permit
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
So im looking for a bolt action .308 and it dawns on me that my permit might have expired.  Grab the permit and sure enough its expired.  Then I notice on the bottom of the permit it states that I needed to bring the permit back to the Firearms Division upon expiration?  Can anyone confirm this?  If so its pretty stupid that I have to take off early from work just to return an expired permit that I cant use anyway. :wtf:  This s@#t is getting old fast...

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Re: Long gun permit
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
I can't confirm that you have to bring it back. That doesn't make any sense at all. I could see the USE in bringing it back when renewing your permit. Sucks about it being expired though. :(
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Deeeeviant

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
This is actually a good question as mines is about to expire as well. Hopefully someone can chime in soon.

vooduchikn

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:12:42 AM »
This is actually a good question as mines is about to expire as well. Hopefully someone can chime in soon.

I have had the same. The issue is that they cannot often locate the copy of your past  form (typical) and you providing it makes it faster. This is mainly because the process sucks plain and simple and is a waste of time and tax payer dollar. I have had them lose my stuff while I was there waiting!

It  is not faster than the time you will still have to wait for your new form...its just in case you have become a criminal in the time your last form expired and they do nothing but make you wait for your new form.

Its just standard bullshit....hurry up and wait! Meant solely to prolong the process and discourage anyone from wanting to legally purchase a long gun or any firearm for that matter.

But since its my opinion and I already have  two Police cases open based on lost information   (my info) at the firearms registration unit, I recommend you not mention this to them!

By the way, I have received two "in progress" reports on both cases and the latest if coming to  year here NOV 3RD!

:shake:
Relax, I've banned myself..

Old Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:49:15 AM »
If you still have it, Bring it.

Saves a lot of headaches.

808shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:15:16 AM »
mine was expired when I went in for my handgun permit, they asked if I wanted to renew my long gun at the same time.  I said yes, didn't even have the old permit at the time.  You're ok.

konu78

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:37:10 AM »
 2AHawaii-  Yeah I was waiting for funds to become available.  The first time around I got the permit and it took me a while to find a rifle.  Then I found another that I had the funds for and my permit is out about 10 days.  I was just hoping that I wouldnt be treated like a criminal beacuse I did not return the permit when it expired.

vooduchikin-  Wow unreal.  Good luck with your cases.  I have also had a problem with one of the employees scratching my brand new stainless barrel on a rifle I brought in to register.  So now I have a nice "1-1/2 scratch to remind me of him every time I clean my barrel.  I figured I could complain but what good will that do. 

Old Guy-  Sound advice.  Anything to make the process move along is a good thing.

808shooter-  Good point.  I was looking for a handgun also so I might just wait and do the both of them together.  Saves me the trip to town from the west side.

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:02:21 AM »
I think they want you to bring it back to make it easier for them to do what they do. I just renewed my rifle permit and they gave me back the old one. Probably no big deal, but as always YMMV.

Tom_G

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »
If you try to renew without bringing the old form in, they give you grief.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

houdni

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »
do you still have to wait the 2 weeks after reregistering?

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:17:08 AM »
do you still have to wait the 2 weeks after reregistering?

Yes.  >:(
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Deeeeviant

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
What if we don't intend to acquire any new firearms for a while? Is it ok to hang on to the permit until we want to renew, or should it be returned?

Heavies

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »
What if we don't intend to acquire any new firearms for a while? Is it ok to hang on to the permit until we want to renew, or should it be returned?

Keep it!   :o
That way you have the option at any time to pick up a longgun without the wait.
You never know when that killer deal will pop up! :thumbsup:

Old Guy

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 01:53:40 PM »
Yep, Always have a current Long gun permit.

Especially when you find a gun you don't need, but the price is right.....

Ask me how i know......

Tom_G

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
If your permit expires, it does say on the form to return it to HPD.  However, when you go in for your next permit (and you know you will,) they pretty much expect you to surrend the old one at that time.  I think you'd confuse them terribly if you just walked in and said "Hey, here's my expired permit, see you later."  Besides, if you're going down there anyway, why wouldn't you renew?

Just hang onto it.  The expired permit police will not come looking for you. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

kaneohegrown

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »
My long gun permit was expired for over a year. But went in to renew and presented the old one. The guys behind the glass just used my old permit to pre-fillin the info on my "new" long gun permit. Just saved some hassle on filling out the paper work, nothin else as far as I can tell.

And yep, still had the stupid 2 week wait before I could go back and get the completed long gun permit...

Tom_G

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
So has everyone pulled out their permits and checked the dates yet?  Christmas is coming, you might want to be sure you are ready!