Hurricane season 2019 (Read 3718 times)

Rocky

Hurricane season 2019
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »
   As a Prepper, it’s not the Zombie Apocalypse, Collapse of the Economy, or even Alien Invaders I fear, not even Broke Alien Zombies !
The following is a collection going back to 2013 and revised regularly with th help of others in the know here on 2a

It’s something more natural, plausible and most likely to occur.
   Who cannot help but to think what our situation here in Hawaii would be should a decent sized Tsunami or Hurricane hit the islands (again).
   Worst case scenario in my eyes is the Big island drift drop with Tsunami (arriving Oahu in 10-12 minutes) wiping out Honolulu, including seaport and airport.

I know I don’t want to be on the Governments Fema Vacation Plan !   

With that in mind, here are my preps.

#1 is water.

Our BOB’s each contain a Seychelle 28-ounce Water Filtration Bottle
This filtration bottle removes up to 99.99 percent of pollutants and contaminants found in water. Produces up to 100 gallons of filtered water.
$16.00
http://www.seychelle.com/
   We also each have a 2 litre bottle of store bought.
I have considered downsizing this 50% due to weight.

At home and at our BOL, we have Monolithic brand water filters.
Build a Berkey for about $20.00 plus containers.
I splurged for two new 5 gallon buckets w/lids (another $20.00) but you could mount these puppies on 55 gal bbls if you wanted
http://shop.monolithic.com/

Here’s a real interesting page from the inside of Katrina.
Undoubtedly some of THE BEST prepper info I’ve ever read because it’s written after the fact, from personal LOSS experience !

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0007.html   

# 2 is Food.
In the movies, you always see the cowboys eating beans so I thought that I should have plenty as my main staple.
WRONG.
Though man does not live by bread alone, wheat(s) are the most important food staple you need.
Almost 5 times more than beans and 1-1/2 times more than fruits and veggies.
These include wheat , rice, corn, pasta's and oats

I tend to stock up from the LDS cannery in Kalihi. Great place, nice folks and you don't have to change your beliefs to shop there.     
( I think their idea is if you're already prepared, you won't need to  try and take mine).
Wish I would have known about this place when i was raising my kids as I would have saved a bundle !
The prices are great averaging about a $1.00 a lb overall on most items.     
Red and White wheat, pinto, black, and re-fried beans, dried milk, onoin's, carrots, sugar, oats, pasta, rice flour and more.
Buy in bulk along with their Mylar bags and Oxy absorber's and package your own or get the pre-packed #10 cans.
Pre-packed or DIY, shelf life ranges 10-30 yrs for most items.Order form attached but prices may differ slightly (old form).

On a side note, Unless you're ahead of the game and already have been on a "Healthy diet" your body is already acclimated to processed foods BIG TIME !
DO NOT   try to bake bread solely out of hard red wheat ! It will make a weeks worth of MRE's seem like a laxative.   
Naturally a grinder is required to flour out of the wheat berries
I still grind flour  3-1 white to red wheat.
Then of course is the stash of canned fish, meats, vegetables, mushrooms, spices and honey bought bulk from Costco and rotated faithfully through our pantry.

On the other end of the scale is the "emergency" and freeze dried foods which have a pretty good shelf life for most products but  I find them rather expensive (and full of sodium).
Doesn't mean I don't have any,  just that  they are truly stashed and not rotated into our diet.

One I will promote is the SOS Foods.   
Basic info below, prices may vary upon provider.
400, 2400 OR 3600 Calorie Emergency Food Bars
The SOS Emergency Food Rations are US Coast Guard approved and have a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture and can withstand temperatures from -22°F to 149°F.
Non-thirst provoking formula offers maximum survival capacity with drinking water restriction under all environmental conditions.
2400 cal $3.95 ea- $139.00 CASE OF 40    $3.47 ea
3600 cal $5.95 ea  $105.00 CASE OF 20   $54.5 ea
New Millennium Energy Bar - fruity flavors such as orange, lemon, cherry, apricot, tropical fruit, blueberry, coconut, raspberry and vanilla.
200 cal $1.25  CASE OF 144 $149.00
Got the calories, enviromentally stable, fair shelf life, water not necessary, light, compact, packeged air tight and water proof, not expensive and they don't taste that bad.
Regular ones taste kinda like short bread and the millenium flavors don't gag you with sweetness.
I keep these guys at home, in our vehicles, BOB's and BOL.

I'm going to jump into another topic intended for later entitled reading and education but I think the following is so important, it should be divulged asap.
LDS also has a "Prep Manual" out that is packed with awesome and pertinant info.
https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html     
So much to do with food choices, amounts, storage, shelf life, canning, cooking, dietary information etc....  it's mind boggling
The first 14 pages are pretty much faith oriented with a peppering of the same for the next 15 informative pages.
The last 10 pages are of a personal view by the author.
The other 460 pages is some of THE BEST prepper info I've come across since my personal favorite, "Listening to Katrina".
"Listening to Katrina". is a MUST READ !

Happy to share, more to come, open to suggestion.

Semper paratu

123115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:04:24 PM by Rocky »
Report to moderator    98.155.242.123

Hurricane season 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »

Re-written from old post    https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=19560.0

Collected and added comments of others from this post to save some time.

Just a reminder, we're entering Hurricane season.

Now's the time to rotate your gas supply's, drain, refill  generators (including Fuel stabilizer in both) and fire them up.
Might as well tune up your vehicle ( oil change fuel/injector treatment, check tires, brakes etc...)

Rotate your go bag's clothes, food, water, med's, and OTC drugs
Drain, clean and refill your 55 gallon water barrels.
Check your supply of Charcoal, propane, bleach, TP, PT, long term food, water, med's, and OTC drugs.

STANG                                         
Ammo
Batteries
Clean up outside your house.
Trim your trees
Put away or secure loose items outside
Water Bob
Solar powered radio/recharger
Old Fart
Jack daniels
Cigars

Q                                                     
Laundry detergent,  several packets of 78% calcium hypochlorate to make my own bleach solution
- beans and rice from the LDS supply
- bucket of MH dehydrated food
- 3 to 5 bottles propane
- 5-10 cases of water
- shower stuff / toiletries
- ingredients for homemade laundry soap (makes 10 liquid gallons)
- rebuild my emergency washing machine (5 gal bucket, plunger dowel, potato masher)
- 100 to 200 wax firestarters
- 5 or so bic lighters and some naptha gas to refill my zippos some hypochlorate, batteries, coleman propane and 50 cases of water to sell on craigslist for $100 each

New Guy                                     
HAM radio

WhyNow                                         
solar battery charger

kia_killer
I recommend a Reverse Osmosis filter system

Oh yeah, 808Huey sez no forget the fleshlights.     

Rocky   
I splurged for two new 5 gallon buckets w/lids (another $20.00) but you could mount these puppies on 55 gal bbls if you wanted
I still (2019) have a couple 55 gallon food grade barrels available. PM Rocky if interested)

Replenish canned goods (veggies, spam, CB and CB Hash, Pink Salmon etc...) 150 rolls TP,  90 rolls PT, razors, toothpaste, soap, shampoo Q-tips (not to be confused with tips from Q) gallons of bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, Clorox Clean Up, nitrile gloves, 15 gallons non-ethanol gas with stabilizer, big ole bottle of Makers Mark, carton of butts.
   (As yard and storage gets finger printed and organized at  this time, I'm adding stir /shake those old paint cans and get rid of the hardened stuff.)

My original "Be prepared"  link https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=12053.msg115882#msg115882

passivekinetic
Here is a good page to keep track of storms.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/east-pacific

Don't just survive, prosper.                                 
Survival is just breaking even !     
Semper Paratus !

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

Re: Hurricane season 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »
GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS !   :D
While on lock down, no excuse to not prep for hurricane as it just insures your pandemic preps.  :geekdanc:
As usual, new ideas welcome.

As a Prepper, it’s not the Zombie Apocalypse, Collapse of the Economy, or even Alien Invaders I fear, not even Broke Alien Zombies !
The following is a collection going back to 2013 and revised regularly with the help of others in the know here on 2a

It’s something more natural, plausible and most likely to occur.
   Who cannot help but to think what our situation here in Hawaii would be should a decent sized Tsunami or Hurricane hit the islands (again).
   Worst case scenario in my eyes is the Big island drift drop with Tsunami (arriving Oahu in 10-12 minutes) wiping out Honolulu, including seaport and airport.

I know I don’t want to be on the Governments Fema Vacation Plan !   

With that in mind, here are my preps.

#1 is water.

Our BOB’s each contain a Seychelle 28-ounce Water Filtration Bottle
This filtration bottle removes up to 99.99 percent of pollutants and contaminants found in water. Produces up to 100 gallons of filtered water.
$16.00
http://www.seychelle.com/
   We also each have a 2 litre bottle of store bought.
I have considered downsizing this 50% due to weight.

Here’s a real interesting page from the inside of Katrina.
Undoubtedly some of THE BEST prepper info I’ve ever read because it’s written after the fact, from personal LOSS experience !

# 2 is Food.
In the movies, you always see the cowboys eating beans so I thought that I should have plenty as my main staple.
WRONG.
Though man does not live by bread alone, wheat(s) are the most important food staple you need.
Almost 5 times more than beans and 1-1/2 times more than fruits and veggies.
These include wheat , rice, corn, pasta's and oats

I tend to stock up from the LDS cannery in Kalihi. Great place, nice folks and you don't have to change your beliefs to shop there.     
( I think their idea is if you're already prepared, you won't need to  try and take mine).
Wish I would have known about this place when i was raising my kids as I would have saved a bundle !
The prices are great averaging about a $1.00 a lb overall on most items.     
Red and White wheat, pinto, black, and re-fried beans, dried milk, onoin's, carrots, sugar, oats, pasta, rice flour and more.
Buy in bulk along with their Mylar bags and Oxy absorber's and package your own or get the pre-packed #10 cans.
Pre-packed or DIY, shelf life ranges 10-30 yrs for most items.Order form attached but prices may differ slightly (old form).

On a side note, Unless you're ahead of the game and already have been on a "Healthy diet" your body is already acclimated to processed foods BIG TIME !
DO NOT   try to bake bread solely out of hard red wheat ! It will make a weeks worth of MRE's seem like a laxative.   
Naturally a grinder is required to flour out of the wheat berries
I still grind flour  3-1 white to red wheat.
Then of course is the stash of canned fish, meats, vegetables, mushrooms, spices and honey bought bulk from Costco and rotated faithfully through our pantry.

On the other end of the scale is the "emergency" and freeze dried foods which have a pretty good shelf life for most products but  I find them rather expensive (and full of sodium).
Doesn't mean I don't have any,  just that  they are truly stashed and not rotated into our diet.

One I will promote is the SOS Foods.   
Basic info below, prices may vary upon provider.
400, 2400 OR 3600 Calorie Emergency Food Bars
The SOS Emergency Food Rations are US Coast Guard approved and have a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture and can withstand temperatures from -22°F to 149°F.
Non-thirst provoking formula offers maximum survival capacity with drinking water restriction under all environmental conditions.
2400 cal $3.95 ea- $139.00 CASE OF 40    $3.47 ea
3600 cal $5.95 ea  $105.00 CASE OF 20   $54.5 ea
New Millennium Energy Bar - fruity flavors such as orange, lemon, cherry, apricot, tropical fruit, blueberry, coconut, raspberry and vanilla.
200 cal $1.25  CASE OF 144 $149.00
Got the calories, environmentally stable, fair shelf life, water not necessary, light, compact, packaged air tight and water proof, not expensive and they don't taste that bad.
Regular ones taste kinda like short bread and the millennium flavors don't gag you with sweetness.
I keep these guys at home, in our vehicles, BOB's and BOL.

I'm going to jump into another topic intended for later entitled reading and education but I think the following is so important, it should be divulged asap.
LDS also has a "Prep Manual" out that is packed with awesome and pertinant info.
https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html     
So much to do with food choices, amounts, storage, shelf life, canning, cooking, dietary information etc....  it's mind boggling
The first 14 pages are pretty much faith oriented with a peppering of the same for the next 15 informative pages.
The last 10 pages are of a personal view by the author.
The other 460 pages is some of THE BEST prepper info I've come across since my personal favorite, "Listening to Katrina".
"Listening to Katrina". is a MUST READ !

Happy to share, more to come, open to suggestion.

Semper paratu

123115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:04:24 PM by Rocky »
Report to moderator    98.155.242.123

Hurricane season 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »

Re-written from old post    https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=19560.0

Collected and added comments of others from this post to save some time.

Just a reminder, we're entering Hurricane season.

Now's the time to rotate your gas supply's, drain, refill  generators (including Fuel stabilizer in both) and fire them up.
Might as well tune up your vehicle ( oil change fuel/injector treatment, check tires, brakes etc...)

Rotate your go bag's clothes, food, water, med's, and OTC drugs
Drain, clean and refill your 55 gallon water barrels.
Check your supply of Charcoal, propane, bleach, TP, PT, long term food, water, med's, and OTC drugs.

STANG                                         
Ammo
Batteries
Clean up outside your house.
Trim your trees
Put away or secure loose items outside
Water Bob
Solar powered radio/re-charger
Old Fart
Jack Daniels
Cigars

Q                                                     
Laundry detergent,  several packets of 78% calcium hypochlorate to make my own bleach solution
- beans and rice from the LDS supply
- bucket of MH dehydrated food
- 3 to 5 bottles propane
- 5-10 cases of water
- shower stuff / toiletries
- ingredients for homemade laundry soap (makes 10 liquid gallons)
- rebuild my emergency washing machine (5 gal bucket, plunger dowel, potato masher)
- 100 to 200 wax fire starters
- 5 or so bic lighters and some naptha gas to refill my zippos some hypochlorate, batteries, Coleman propane and 50 cases of water to sell on craigslist for $100 each

New Guy                                     
HAM radio

WhyNow                                         
solar battery charger

kia_killer
I recommend a Reverse Osmosis filter system

Rocky   
I still (2019) have a couple 55 gallon food grade barrels available. PM Rocky if interested)

Replenish canned goods (veggies, spam, CB and CB Hash, Pink Salmon etc...) 150 rolls TP,  90 rolls PT, razors, toothpaste, soap, shampoo Q-tips (not to be confused with tips from Q) gallons of bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, Clorox Clean Up, nitrile gloves, 15 gallons non-ethanol gas with stabilizer, big ole bottle of Makers Mark, carton of butts.
   (As yard and storage gets finger printed and organized at  this time, I'm adding stir /shake those old paint cans and get rid of the hardened stuff.)

My original "Be prepared"  link https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=12053.msg115882#msg115882

passivekinetic
Here is a good page to keep track of storms.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/east-pacific

Don't just survive, prosper.                                 
Survival is just breaking even !     
Semper Paratus !
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS !   :D
While on lock down, no excuse to not prep for hurricane as it just insures your pandemic preps.  :geekdanc:
As usual, new ideas welcome.
Most of my preps are sort of for any situation, but largely with hurricane season in mind.  That said, there were some things that I supplemented for the current situation. 

I think the current situation brought to light a reality check on preps in general.  That people probably thought they were well prepared for whatever life might throw them found aspects that they needed to shore up, me included in that.  One sort of universal thing is the panic that ensues when news of stuff breaks.  While I generally have essentials on hand, I do get lulled into complacency. 

groveler

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »
Very good list and advice.
I don't do the water as I live on Catchment and
normally  have 34,000 gallons of water on hand.

One Thing I do is keep a health supply of Dimensional lumber
and plywood on hand above and beyond the window protection stuff.
2X4 thru 2X12 in 8 to 20 foot lengths.
3/8 and 1/2 inch ply several sheets.
I also keep a supply of Tarps.

If you are living off your survival food after a hurricane
there is a good possibility there has been some damage.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
Very good list and advice.
I don't do the water as I live on Catchment and
normally  have 34,000 gallons of water on hand.

One Thing I do is keep a health supply of Dimensional lumber
and plywood on hand above and beyond the window protection stuff.
2X4 thru 2X12 in 8 to 20 foot lengths.
3/8 and 1/2 inch ply several sheets.
I also keep a supply of Tarps.

If you are living off your survival food after a hurricane
there is a good possibility there has been some damage.
What's your plan if your water reservoir gets damaged?  What about if the tank gets contaminated somehow? 

Resiliency and redundancy are buzz words for work, especially now.  Thing is people have very different definitions or perspectives on what provides them resiliency and redundancy.  Most organizations aren't as resilient as they think, particularly in Hawaii. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
Mrs. CMO ordered 6 Lasagne from Mountain House.  She loves it.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »
Mrs. CMO ordered 6 Lasagne from Mountain House.  She loves it.
Breakfast skillet and chicken/rice are my faves.  Have some individual packets and cans of those. 

I saw reports of the buckets and set boxes coming back into stock at Costco.  Looks like Amazon stocks are still mid-May. 

6716J

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »

I just read this again and started laughing..................
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »
I just read this again and started laughing..................

Just keep'n it real  :worship:
I said suggestions welcome ( pun intended )  :rofl:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »
Breakfast skillet and chicken/rice are my faves.  Have some individual packets and cans of those. 

I saw reports of the buckets and set boxes coming back into stock at Costco.  Looks like Amazon stocks are still mid-May.

A few days ago Costco had the boxes for like $69.99.

I wanna try the skillet which I have 4 of, but I keep thinking what if SHTF and I could use 1 more meal.  "what if you replace it".  THen if I had not eaten the 1st one, I would have 5. Mind fuck.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
A few days ago Costco had the boxes for like $69.99.

I wanna try the skillet which I have 4 of, but I keep thinking what if SHTF and I could use 1 more meal.  "what if you replace it".  THen if I had not eaten the 1st one, I would have 5. Mind fuck.
I saw the recent Costco boxes.  I have some of the 4-day buckets that they sold before.  All decent deals. 

I used to have Wise Foods, but those suck compared to Mountain House.  At least for me.  I was buying various packets from Amazon to sample the MH.  I found that I could eat the skillet and chicken/rice on it's own just fine, but I also think they do well with being able to supplement with other canned foods.  Especially with the can sized ones. 

You're worried about make/break with one meal?  While I am far from the expert, but think that's a case of "you're doing it wrong". . .

I have some emergency rations that are maybe a year from the date on the packaging.  Was thinking of sampling them.  There's at least one that I haven't tried before. 

Kawika808

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 05:33:36 PM »
I went to Costco last week and was able to get 2 boxes of the mountain house freeze dried food.  Price came out to about $67 each and theres a total of 13 pouches in each box.   If you look around, even on amazon any mountain house product you find averages out to around $8-$9 per pouch ($104-$117 for 13 pouches)

So far i've only tried the chicken and noodles (purchased off Amazon and is not included in the Costco box) and I have to say the family was impressed with the taste.  Kinda like liptons packaged pasta products.

Anyway, If it's still available at Costco I recommend picking some up I'll probably attempt to grab another box or two myself.

🤙🤙

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 05:48:22 PM by Kawika808 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
I saw the recent Costco boxes.  I have some of the 4-day buckets that they sold before.  All decent deals. 

I used to have Wise Foods, but those suck compared to Mountain House.  At least for me.  I was buying various packets from Amazon to sample the MH.  I found that I could eat the skillet and chicken/rice on it's own just fine, but I also think they do well with being able to supplement with other canned foods.  Especially with the can sized ones. 

You're worried about make/break with one meal?  While I am far from the expert, but think that's a case of "you're doing it wrong". . .

I have some emergency rations that are maybe a year from the date on the packaging.  Was thinking of sampling them.  There's at least one that I haven't tried before.
Paranoia. Always 1 more.

Same when playing cod. Shoot 1 rd and tac reload.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

groveler

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:55 AM »
What's your plan if your water reservoir gets damaged?  What about if the tank gets contaminated somehow? 

Resiliency and redundancy are buzz words for work, especially now.  Thing is people have very different definitions or perspectives on what provides them resiliency and redundancy.  Most organizations aren't as resilient as they think, particularly in Hawaii.
I have two tanks in separate locations.
The tanks are prepped for Earthquake and Hurricane.
They are bolted to a concrete foundation.
I also have State Ag water that is gravity fed.
about 10,000 gallons per day.  It is not potable
but can be sterilized.
I installed the water line and dedicated it to the
State so they own it and now maintain it.

I have a UV sterilizer, and chlorine tablets.

It rains almost every day here so I'll pick up about a
minimum of 50 gallons per day.  My collection area
is almost 4000 sf.

Not too many people on Oahu have facilities like this.
Many on the Big Island do.

We have to,  because the County government can't/wont supply
utilities. I don't have water, sewer, trash pickup, cable,
mail delivery, et al to my residence.
The only government services I get is the road. The other service
is property tax bills.  The cops and fire dept have to stop and
ask directions, to find us so they're useless. I've seen them get lost.

Does that address your comment?

The lumber is easy to do and doesn't take up much space.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »
Paranoia. Always 1 more.

Same when playing cod. Shoot 1 rd and tac reload.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Don't think that's probably the best analogy, but I get what you're saying.  I think . . .

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
I have two tanks in separate locations.
The tanks are prepped for Earthquake and Hurricane.
They are bolted to a concrete foundation.
I also have State Ag water that is gravity fed.
about 10,000 gallons per day.  It is not potable
but can be sterilized.
I installed the water line and dedicated it to the
State so they own it and now maintain it.

I have a UV sterilizer, and chlorine tablets.

It rains almost every day here so I'll pick up about a
minimum of 50 gallons per day.  My collection area
is almost 4000 sf.

Not too many people on Oahu have facilities like this.
Many on the Big Island do.

We have to,  because the County government can't/wont supply
utilities. I don't have water, sewer, trash pickup, cable,
mail delivery, et al to my residence.
The only government services I get is the road. The other service
is property tax bills.  The cops and fire dept have to stop and
ask directions, to find us so they're useless. I've seen them get lost.

Does that address your comment?

The lumber is easy to do and doesn't take up much space.
Ya, more than answered.  I figured that you, and other rural BI folks, were pretty well prepared.  I was just using that as an example of what people think of being prepared, resilient, etc.  I think your preps seem pretty resilient.  That said, I've seen some strange things happen during/post hurricane.  You've been to Guam.  I've seen pics of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood that ended up being impaled in a coconut tree!  :o 

What I see from facility engineering is that people get lulled into a sense of being safe, well prepared, etc based on what they know they have but either being short sighted on the true failure point or realism of maintaining what they have.  The other side is economics.  Even for facilities, resiliency projects often gets pushed aside when competing against current immediate/basic needs.  People say resiliency is a priority, but when it comes to a choice between a backup water tank or repairing the existing plumbing, the repairing existing plumbing always wins. 

groveler

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
Ya, more than answered.  I figured that you, and other rural BI folks, were pretty well prepared.  I was just using that as an example of what people think of being prepared, resilient, etc.  I think your preps seem pretty resilient.  That said, I've seen some strange things happen during/post hurricane.  You've been to Guam.  I've seen pics of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood that ended up being impaled in a coconut tree!  :o 

What I see from facility engineering is that people get lulled into a sense of being safe, well prepared, etc based on what they know they have but either being short sighted on the true failure point or realism of maintaining what they have.  The other side is economics.  Even for facilities, resiliency projects often gets pushed aside when competing against current immediate/basic needs.  People say resiliency is a priority, but when it comes to a choice between a backup water tank or repairing the existing plumbing, the repairing existing plumbing always wins.
I was a project engineer at an aerospace company.
I was constantly hammered.
But I always made plans on
"Plan for success, Man for failure"
I've always thought every engineer
should take a few War college courses.
Nothing ever goes to the plan.
That is why we were taught Risk
management
I don't think that is a doctor
training thing.
My uncle( a rather famous surgeon)
said I was full of shit.