What Guns and Gear to "Panic Buy"? (Read 3005 times)

macsak

What Guns and Gear to "Panic Buy"?
« on: October 14, 2023, 01:00:42 PM »

ren

Re: What Guns and Gear to "Panic Buy"?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 03:28:25 PM »
like you should actually buy a gun...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 04:01:55 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

aletheuo137

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 07:57:48 AM »
like you should actually buy a gun...
Don't see Mac, he owns nothing!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 08:46:51 PM »
With all these wars and stuff happening, body armor. The 2020 riots and the kickoff of the war in Ukraine put huge stresses on armor supply and “raw” materials to make armor. Israel is next

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 09:09:10 PM »
Re. Preps....
Learn how to use your gun.
Ie. Practice.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 03:38:49 PM »
People focus too much on guns. With the dollar set to crash most of us will have to learn how to get by with way less money. What things can you invest in now that will reduce the amount of money you will have to spend on basics every month? Being poor takes practice as well.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 06:40:43 AM »
People focus too much on guns. With the dollar set to crash most of us will have to learn how to get by with way less money. What things can you invest in now that will reduce the amount of money you will have to spend on basics every month? Being poor takes practice as well.
=============
This is very true.
During the past year. I tried to grow more edible stuff. (but I suck at it)
I'm trying to cook my own food because you can control what goes in your body and make it taste the way YOU like it.
One great success is making my own bread. I noticed that the price of bread is stupidly high now.
A few years back, automatic bread makers were a fad. I had one sitting for years.
I got a nice recipe from a facebook forum and now this is what I make....

cost is less than $2 per loaf and you can't beat the smell of baking bread.
=========
Of course, the other thing that I advocate for is to learn to shoot proficiently. Part of that is having practice ammo.
Just like cooking, If you make your own ammo you can save a lot of money and can make it the way YOU like it.
Here is some cheap practice ammo that looks pretty too.

I've helped a few people get started in reloading and will help if asked.

What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 06:59:21 AM »
buy as much as you can when you can
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 11:45:54 AM »
=============
This is very true.
During the past year. I tried to grow more edible stuff. (but I suck at it)
I'm trying to cook my own food because you can control what goes in your body and make it taste the way YOU like it.
One great success is making my own bread. I noticed that the price of bread is stupidly high now.
A few years back, automatic bread makers were a fad. I had one sitting for years.
I got a nice recipe from a facebook forum and now this is what I make....

cost is less than $2 per loaf and you can't beat the smell of baking bread.
=========
Of course, the other thing that I advocate for is to learn to shoot proficiently. Part of that is having practice ammo.
Just like cooking, If you make your own ammo you can save a lot of money and can make it the way YOU like it.
Here is some cheap practice ammo that looks pretty too.

I've helped a few people get started in reloading and will help if asked.

I shot those heads on steel. I was wondering if it would leave a blue mark on it.  Then I shot red and purple heads all with no luck.  It would be cool if it left the color on steel.

My mom got caught up in the bread machine fad in the 90's. She made bread every weekend until their increased carb intake was noticable as both my mom and dad were begining to gain weight.  Then the bread machine sat in the corner for years.  It wasn't just wheat or white bread either. The packets had were raisin, cinanmon, etc...Just add water and yeast.

TBH, there's a certain age that if I hit it, I say "fuck it" and eat what ever I want. Bacon and rice with shoyu on the rice every day will happen. Prob even for dinner too.

hvybarrels

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 10:21:04 PM »
buy as much as you can when you can

Do you have adequate emergency food for a few months? Is your water heater more than 10 years old? Have you paid off all debts and credit cards? If there's gas shortages do you have a good long lasting shoes to walk everywhere? Can you cook without power?

If you're all set then by all means stack ammo, but just remember down the road whoever you end up bartering it to can use it however they want.

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Brystont1

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »
Do you have adequate emergency food for a few months? Is your water heater more than 10 years old? Have you paid off all debts and credit cards? If there's gas shortages do you have a good long lasting shoes to walk everywhere? Can you cook without power?

If you're all set then by all means stack ammo, but just remember down the road whoever you end up bartering it to can use it however they want.

Speaking of long lasting shoes I’m gonna be putting in an order of Crispi Idaho’s that should last a good long while.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 07:10:09 PM »
Always include Duct Tape in your survival kit. 

And not the cheap junk kind.  But the good kind.

When you peel it off the roll if it goes "quack, quack..."  that's the good kind.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

808shooter

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 08:27:18 PM »
Duct tape is good. If the war really kicks off everything is gonna skyrocket.  Going back to c0vid, everyone was baking at home and active yeast was hard to find. Im thinking of picking up a large container and storing it. Where do I store it? Freezer?

Tex

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2023, 08:43:53 PM »
It’s not panic buying, but Black Friday 2023 should be quite good for deals on guns.

The election year coming up will generally cause a panic, so I’d expect prices to increase around May of next year if there are no big news mass shootings.

There is already an ammo panic due to the wars, but being at the tail end of a long supply chain, we are going to get hosed by that regardless.

Possibly, get a high quality concealed carry holster for whatever suitable gun you already own.

On the general prepping front for Black Friday shopping for someone who lives in Honolulu:
- a bicycle or electric scooter plus decent locks for them - they make it way easier to get around without burning gas
- food storage - really just whatever you already eat that is storable. Maybe get a nice polycarbonate storage container for your rice.
- water storage and treatment - most of the online outdoor stores like REI and Backcountry are running good sales on gear.
- electricity - for folks who live in a condo tower, the best bet is probably fast chargers for devices and usb battery banks. The idea is to be able to nab power wherever you go as quickly as possible.
- stove and cooking fuel - a way to boil water for cooking your rice plus enough fuel to cook your rice.
- seasonings - make your rice taste better with shoyu and hot sauce.

Speaking of nabbing, I saw a homeless guy steal water from a backflow preventer. There are ports for connecting gauges at the top of big backflow preventers. He used pliers to unscrew the plug enough to cause a water spray, then collected the water that came out.

Tex

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 09:12:40 PM »
My theory on water and electricity is that both are more likely to be rationed by time than to stay gone for a long time for folks who live in a major metropolitan area with many redundancies. This is basically rolling blackouts applied to both water and electricity. I would expect power and water to be most available in the middle of the day due to the duck curve for solar.

This means having automated collection and storage methods for both at home might be good. I saw video from Venezuela where a family had a water tank with a float valve that filled whenever the tap water came on until the tank was filled. The same concept can be done for electricity with a USB battery bank plugged into a charger plugged into the wall.

On a mobile basis, have ways to collect and store and carry water. I see this as a backpack with a 2L bladder, a couple liters worth of water bottles, and some sort of cup. For electricity, the goal is to be able to charge your devices at top speed. To ensure access, be able to share the outlet by having some form of splitter.

hvybarrels

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2023, 11:31:11 AM »
Lots of discount tools showing up on Craigslist lately. The exodus from the island continues. It makes me wonder about which tools will still be in demand vs have the market flooded as people rush for the exit. I updated my power tool batteries recently since those are expendables and some of my old ones started burning out. Speaking of which I bought battery piles from Costco that were supposed to last to 2030 and they already started melting down. I'm switching over to rechargeable since those seem to last longer. Got a usb charger that works on basic solar.

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 07:14:38 AM »
Lots of discount tools showing up on Craigslist lately. The exodus from the island continues. It makes me wonder about which tools will still be in demand vs have the market flooded as people rush for the exit. I updated my power tool batteries recently since those are expendables and some of my old ones started burning out. Speaking of which I bought battery piles from Costco that were supposed to last to 2030 and they already started melting down. I'm switching over to rechargeable since those seem to last longer. Got a usb charger that works on basic solar.
============
I noticed the exodus on Facebook marketplace too.
People desperately trying to get rid of their stuff before moving away.
Also, maybe people desperate for cash as the economy slows down and prices go up.
I bought Keokis Laulau from Costco last week. It went from $17 to $22 in just a couple of months.

What exactly are battery piles....melting down?
Are you talking about Kirkland AA or AAA batteries?
Or something else?
What, Me Worry?

Sodie

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 08:01:33 AM »
============
I noticed the exodus on Facebook marketplace too.
People desperately trying to get rid of their stuff before moving away.
Also, maybe people desperate for cash as the economy slows down and prices go up.
I bought Keokis Laulau from Costco last week. It went from $17 to $22 in just a couple of months.

What exactly are battery piles....melting down?
Are you talking about Kirkland AA or AAA batteries?
Or something else?

“Piles” is French for batteries… plug “piles alcaline” into Google Translate. 

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 08:34:37 AM »
“Piles” is French for batteries… plug “piles alcaline” into Google Translate.
=========
I knew that "piles" refers to a battery, but I wanted hvy to say which battery and if "melting down" means "dead" or "leaking".
Along this line, I have been looking for AA and AAA batteries that claim to be leakproof.
I've lost a lot of good equipment due to leaky DURACELLS.
I refuse to buy those any more. I did buy some batteries that claim to be leakproof, but they don't last very long.
But none of them leaked.  :thumbsup:

I've read claims that ENERGIZERS are fairly leak-proof and claim to have long service life.
I see COSTCO advertising their house-brand KIRKLAND but I see reports that say that those are duracells.
I'm going to give energizers a try.

What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2023, 11:02:10 AM »
alkaline batteries leak because their outer shell has been compromised. Constant vibration, dropped etc. can damage the outer wrapping.
Deeds Not Words