Seating Depth - Discuss (Read 4282 times)

drck1000

Seating Depth - Discuss
« on: December 12, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
Have you tested different seating depths?  If yes, what range or starting point did you choose?

This is far off for me, but something that I am considering doing eventually.  My buddy is probably going to start this soon as he is in his final stages of settling on his .308 recipe for powder and weight with bullet.

Understand that the starting point is unique to the gun, but some chambers are more generous than others.  After loading up my first .308 test batches last night, it would be a PITA to vary the seating depth the the dies that he has.  We can get the dies tailored for that application, but just something I observed. 

I've read many folks vary seating depths in the 0.003-0.005" increments.  I'd have to look up my notes, but I think I got the decimal place right.  :facepalm:

Inspector

Re: Seating Depth - Discuss
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
You seat the bullet to the proper depth. What’s there to discuss?  :P
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Rhed

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
At least get one of these first.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precision-measuring/precision-tools-and-gauges/oal-gauges-modified-cases#!/

Once you know, then you can determine how much jump you want. Well, as long as the magazine allows if there is a mag.
Because for one thing, measuring COAL has a lot of variance. Which would give you inconsistency. You’d wanna seat and measure to ogive instead.

Inspector

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 03:06:47 PM »

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precision-measuring/precision-tools-and-gauges/oal-gauges-modified-cases#!/

Once you know, then you can determine how much jump you want. Well, as long as the magazine allows if there is a mag.
Because for one thing, measuring COAL has a lot of variance. Which would give you inconsistency. You’d wanna seat and measure to ogive instead.
Shows how much you know! Cartridges can’t jump. They don’t have legs! Don’t try to BS us now.

We know better! 😂

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

Yup.  I have that, the modified case, and comparator set with anvil.  I also have another friend's RCBS precision mic, but I like that the Hornady tool uses the bullet that you intend to use.  My buddy is using those tools to determine the max depth for his chamber (then pick a distance to back off).  My gun is still in the shop, so I have to wait until I get my gun back. 

On a side note, I found that my calibers suck.  I have to get a better quality one.  I understand that the calipers are "relative" measurements and aren't uber accurate.  But at least need better than the one I got off of Amazon. 

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »
Shows how much you know! Cartridges can’t jump. They don’t have legs! Don’t try to BS us now.

We know better! 😂
Oh knock it off you black powder fudd. . .  :P

:rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »
Oh knock it off you black powder fudd. . .  :P

:rofl:
Hey you young whippersnapper! I seat my balls with a stick! You’re too much of a wussy boy to do that, ain’t ya? 🤪

Rhed

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »

We know better! 😂

Aw shit.. you got me.. But it did sound good right?  :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 03:29:17 PM »
Hey you young whippersnapper! I seat my balls with a stick! You’re too much of a wussy boy to do that, ain’t ya? 🤪
You whack your own balls with a stick?   :wacko:

Uh, yeah.  I no do dat kine stuff. . . it pains me so.  But yours prob numb and look like raisins. . . :o

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Bwahahaha!

justin1098

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »
I have had best results with a .010-.020" jump to the lands. I don't like jamming, it can cause issues and has not improved accuracy for me.

Consistency is most important.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 10:06:33 AM »
I have had best results with a .010-.020" jump to the lands. I don't like jamming, it can cause issues and has not improved accuracy for me.

Consistency is most important.
How do you measure where your barrel's lands are?  Any particular tool, or the method where you purposely seat a bullet a little long in an empty prepped case to find the jam point? 

I have the Hornady COAL tool set as mentioned above, and a buddy loaned me his RCBS precision micrometer.  My buddy measured his barrel yesterday and the required length was more than he was comfortable with, even with the setback for the jump.  Apparently his factory action and barrel has a generous amount of space.

I have read and watched videos where some benchrest shooters purposely seat their bullets a touch long and that chambering the round does the "final seating".  Now realizing how fine those dimensions are, that seems pretty  :o to me. 

dogman

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
How do you measure where your barrel's lands are?  Any particular tool, or the method where you purposely seat a bullet a little long in an empty prepped case to find the jam point? 

I have the Hornady COAL tool set as mentioned above
I believe you already have the "any particular tool". The Hornady OAL gauge with the correct modified case will give you the baseline for your desired seating depth (when used properly). Seat the bullet shorter to "jump" and seat the bullet longer to "jamb".

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
I believe you already have the "any particular tool". The Hornady OAL gauge with the correct modified case will give you the baseline for your desired seating depth (when used properly). Seat the bullet shorter to "jump" and seat the bullet longer to "jamb".
Understand/realize that.  I was asking him how he does it. . . since there are some that don't use the OAL gauge or precision mic method. . .

Too early for amps?

macsak

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »

I have the Hornady COAL tool set as mentioned above, and a buddy loaned me his RCBS precision micrometer.  My buddy measured his barrel yesterday and the required length was more than he was comfortable with, even with the setback for the jump.  Apparently his factory action and barrel has a generous amount of space.

I have read and watched videos where some benchrest shooters purposely seat their bullets a touch long and that chambering the round does the "final seating".  Now realizing how fine those dimensions are, that seems pretty  :o to me.

TWSS

dogman

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 01:26:09 PM »
Understand/realize that.  I was asking him how he does it. . . since there are some that don't use the OAL gauge or precision mic method. . .

Too early for amps?
Oh

Dolomite

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »

Too early for amps?

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 06:12:52 PM »

Is that what you do?

When I get my gun back, and after I get charge weight dialed in, I was going to try the same. Jam point, lands, etc.

The seating die my buddy has will be a PITA to vary the different seating depths though. If/when I get to this step, will look into the dial seating dies.

Dolomite

Seating Depth - Discuss
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 06:48:59 PM »
Is that what you do?

When I get my gun back, and after I get charge weight dialed in, I was going to try the same. Jam point, lands, etc.

The seating die my buddy has will be a PITA to vary the different seating depths though. If/when I get to this step, will look into the dial seating dies.

I got the hornady tool, but if you don’t have the tool it’s another option.

It’s going to be hell trying to change seating depth with a non micrometer seater.

If you want to use the mag you are subject to that limitation and seating depth may or may not be an option. It’s also bullet dependent. Some like to be close to the lands and some don’t care.

Redding sells a micrometer seater add on if you have their regular seater die. Another option.

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »
I got the hornady tool, but if you don’t have the tool it’s another option.

It’s going to be hell trying to change seating depth with a non micrometer seater.

If you want to use the mag you are subject to that limitation and seating depth may or may not be an option.

Redding sells a micrometer seater add on if you have their regular seater die. Another option.
Yup. I am not on the seating depth stage yet, but can see how it would be a PITA with std seating dies. It wasn’t hard, but took some tome to get the depth for my loading. I was doing diff OAL than my buddy.

Was looking at RCBS (not in stock anywhere) and Redding micrometer seating dies.

For my buddy’s gun, his jam point is longer than the AICS mags. He shoots one-by-one anyways. He said it was also longer than he’s comfortable seating, so he’s trying “std” OAL and going out.

justin1098

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »

I have used two methods. One is to use a fireformed and resized case (I like to use a larger bushing so as to lower the neck tension), seat a bullet long, chamber it and extract it, hoping the bullet is still in the casing and isn't stuck in the lands. The easier way is the hornady gauge with the threaded case.

I take all my measurements with calipers with the hornady or sinclair coal gauge. The kine that measures from the ogive.

The biggest problem with  seating long is, you better not change your mind, because once you chamber a round that bullet will likely need to be tapped out of the barrel with a cleaning rod if for some reason you don't shoot it.