Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 82457 times)

macsak

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
Need more springs (instead of amps)

more amps in the springs would've made a difference in stage 3 (and the match)...

heads

drck1000

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2020, 01:51:25 PM »
There were some new shooters at the match this past weekend. One was friend of a HS classmate of mine who was there to observe. They are newer to firearms and was good to have them in the same squad for some familiar faces. The new shooter in our group did well. Had some really good hits and took home time and was safe. He had fun and hopefully will see him and his other friends in future matches. Many are hesitant to jump in, but I think having someone they recognize helps. I didn’t k or anyone when I started, but most of the people in the matches are are ready and willing to help. Just like the firearms community in general where most folks want to share their enthusiasm with others.

A few people have msged me about matches and training. Encourage all to come out and shoot. In the mean time, happy to answer any questions. Best to discuss here so that others who might be too shy to ask can see as well. But happy to answer via PM as well.  :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »
more amps in the springs would've made a difference in stage 3 (and the match)...

heads
Maybe 🤔

My lack of focus certainly hurt  :(

macsak

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »
There were some new shooters at the match this past weekend. One was friend of a HS classmate of mine who was there to observe. They are newer to firearms and was good to have them in the same squad for some familiar faces. The new shooter in our group did well. Had some really good hits and took home time and was safe. He had fun and hopefully will see him and his other friends in future matches. Many are hesitant to jump in, but I think having someone they recognize helps. I didn’t k or anyone when I started, but most of the people in the matches are are ready and willing to help. Just like the firearms community in general where most folks want to share their enthusiasm with others.

A few people have msged me about matches and training. Encourage all to come out and shoot. In the mean time, happy to answer any questions. Best to discuss here so that others who might be too shy to ask can see as well. But happy to answer via PM as well.  :thumbsup:

i saw that newby while i was observing the match
he had some good hits and had decent mechanics (it helped that he was not a small dude too)

maybe i should buy some firearms and ammo and check it out someday...

drck1000

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2020, 08:52:58 AM »
i saw that newby while i was observing the match
he had some good hits and had decent mechanics (it helped that he was not a small dude too)

maybe i should buy some firearms and ammo and check it out someday...
He seemed to be a solid shooter.  He needed some caution on trigger finger discipline here and there from the RO, but muzzle discipline was solid.  Best overall was he was having a great time and you could tell.  He was definitely nervous and apprehensive on the first stage and it was less and less as the day went on.  Could tell he was getting more comfortable by stage 4 as he was pushing the pace a bit, while still being safe. 

Yeah, you should stop being a voyeur and jump in.   :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »

^^^This 100%.  As the new guy still (First firearm in 2016), having a friendly face always helps big time.  Even for me going to the bench/pistol side for the 1st time was very intimidating.  I had a friend take me and show me the billy goat.

I met 2 pretty cool dudes at a match 2 weeks ago who I was able to watch, just to observe.

That's why when ever I invite friends to open shoots for the 1st time, I make sure I'm there.  So I can guide and show the do's/don'ts.

macsak

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2020, 04:45:17 PM »
^^^This 100%.  As the new guy still (First firearm in 2016), having a friendly face always helps big time.  Even for me going to the bench/pistol side for the 1st time was very intimidating.  I had a friend take me and show me the billy goat.

I met 2 pretty cool dudes at a match 2 weeks ago who I was able to watch, just to observe.

That's why when ever I invite friends to open shoots for the 1st time, I make sure I'm there.  So I can guide and show the do's/don'ts.

cool dudes?
those guys were kooks...

changemyoil66

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2020, 05:07:54 PM »
cool dudes?
those guys were kooks...
1 had tourettes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »

I've heard many a stories where some ROs have ruined things for new shooters.  While I can understand their perspective having served as RO/RSO at other venues, there are times when some of them have taken things a bit too far. 

Being there for newer shooters definitely helps.  Helps them be more at ease in an environment that probably has most first timers pretty nervous.  Especially true for my friends' SOs.  If they end up hating it, it's a constant uphill battle for my friend.   :(

cool dudes?
those guys were kooks...
I heard one of those kooks typically scores higher than the other kook. . . depends on focus level though. . .  :P

changemyoil66

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:43 AM »
Took a HDF pistol skill builder this weekend.  It was fun and we got to shoot a lot more than the last few ones.  IIRC, the last few we only shot about 150ish rounds.  This time was about 300+/

It started with a 5 yard target (6 inch circle) and from holster get 5 shots in it as fast as your skill allows.  Then the next was the same 5 shots in the circle, followed by 5 shots in a rectangle the size of a Razor phone.  I did pretty well, but noticed that I tend to peek a lot inbetween shots to see if I'm getting hits.  When I peek, I drop the next shot about 4 inches low.  So I had to focus on trusting my POA/POI that it will be where I put it.  Once I did that, I stayed inside both targets for all 10 rds.

At the end we did an exercise.  From holster, get 3 hits on steal at 35ish yards that was about 4 inches x 12 inches. Do a tactical reload and get 3 more hits.  All under 10 seconds.  And complete this back to back (2 times in a row).  My constant was about 15 seconds.  The problem was during the tac reload, putting the partial mag back in my holder.  So instead of dicking around with that, I kept the partial mag in-between my index and middle finger (flashlight style, see pic).  I was able to do 1 string at 9.44 seconds.  I failed to do it back to back.

Only 2 guys were able to complete the task back to back.  Both are better shots than me and were running red dots.  I was using irons.  1 had a race 1911 9mm, the other X-5 Legion.  I was using my VP9.  Only 1 other guy was able to do 1 string under 10 seconds, but he too was running a red dot. Damn cheaters.  I might look into a red dot sooner than I expected after this.  Pretty much the entire class was running red dots.

So things I learned:

1) Have confidence in my equipment, no peeking

2) When doing a tac reload under time, keep the mag in my hand.  If time allows, then put back in the holder/pocket.  May play a roll if using pistol for home defense.  How many people will be in their boxers (no pockets) and bring an extra mag with their pistol with them at 3 am?  Worst case, put the mag in  your mouth (nohomo).  Not like we can have a 32rd extendo clip.

3) I noticed fatigue setting in toward the end and my grip was looser than normal.  Not sure hot to train this when I only shoot once a month.  The sun, heat, weight of equipment all are a factor in fatigue.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:17:55 AM by changemyoil66 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »
Holding partial mag

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
Spent a bunch of time at the range this past weekend.  Awesome weather, awesome people, awesome times!

Took one of my best friend's son to the silhouette range, along with his uncle (also a really good friend).  Always fun taking younger shooters to the range.  My friend has his own guns, but doesn't get to shoot that often, so it was good to get him out and shoot as well.  Ended up playing HORSE, calling shots on steel.  That was pretty fun.

Did some handgun with RDS and rifle training as well.  Have been mostly shooting handgun lately, so it was good to bust out the long gun.

Notes/highlights:

1) I often extend invitations to take people shooting and I rarely get positive responses.  When I do get the "yeah, I'm in", it usually energizes me to go even more.  However, this past weekend, we ended up staying out later than I thought the night before the silhouette range.  So when my friend's son texted me in the morning with "are we still going shooting?" and I wanted to sleep in, I wasn't as energized.  Even moreso that I had to drive from town to windward side to pick him up. . . haha.  But all good  ;D

2) Had a lot of discussion on gear choices during/after training.  Lots of different perspectives.  I'm of the mindset that I want to try for myself and see how I like it.  If people ask me about my setup, I am happy to explain why I have it that way.  And while I certainly have my favorite items, I openly encourage folks to find out what works for them.  Then there are others who openly push for people to go with what their preferred setup is, usually without asking the interested party what they are trying to get out of their gear. 

3) Started off training day with a "cold" drill and another simple drill.  I shot both well and was feeling pretty good.  Started pushing things in later exercises, both pace and "aim small, miss small", but noticed things going awry in both regards.  Was able to sort of buckle back down and clean things up, mostly with handgun.  Sort of reminded myself to always maintain fundamentals. 

4) The experience of the folks that we shot with was quite varied.  However, it was good that the group kept everyone safe and facilitated progression of the individual.  Believe that is essential to get newer shooters to come out and shoot as well as keep them engaged. 

5) I have been shooting different platforms a lot lately, but think I need to dedicate more time to the "go to".  While I will always enjoy shooting different guns, I've noticed things when going back and forth often between platforms that are quite different.

Continuing to shoot pretty consistently this year.  Hope to be able to keep it up. 

drck1000

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
Took a HDF pistol skill builder this weekend.  It was fun and we got to shoot a lot more than the last few ones.  IIRC, the last few we only shot about 150ish rounds.  This time was about 300+/

It started with a 5 yard target (6 inch circle) and from holster get 5 shots in it as fast as your skill allows.  Then the next was the same 5 shots in the circle, followed by 5 shots in a rectangle the size of a Razor phone.  I did pretty well, but noticed that I tend to peek a lot inbetween shots to see if I'm getting hits.  When I peek, I drop the next shot about 4 inches low.  So I had to focus on trusting my POA/POI that it will be where I put it.  Once I did that, I stayed inside both targets for all 10 rds.

At the end we did an exercise.  From holster, get 3 hits on steal at 35ish yards that was about 4 inches x 12 inches. Do a tactical reload and get 3 more hits.  All under 10 seconds.  And complete this back to back (2 times in a row).  My constant was about 15 seconds.  The problem was during the tac reload, putting the partial mag back in my holder.  So instead of dicking around with that, I kept the partial mag in-between my index and middle finger (flashlight style, see pic).  I was able to do 1 string at 9.44 seconds.  I failed to do it back to back.

Only 2 guys were able to complete the task back to back.  Both are better shots than me and were running red dots.  I was using irons.  1 had a race 1911 9mm, the other X-5 Legion.  I was using my VP9.  Only 1 other guy was able to do 1 string under 10 seconds, but he too was running a red dot. Damn cheaters.  I might look into a red dot sooner than I expected after this.  Pretty much the entire class was running red dots.

So things I learned:

1) Have confidence in my equipment, no peeking

2) When doing a tac reload under time, keep the mag in my hand.  If time allows, then put back in the holder/pocket.  May play a roll if using pistol for home defense.  How many people will be in their boxers (no pockets) and bring an extra mag with their pistol with them at 3 am?  Worst case, put the mag in  your mouth (nohomo).  Not like we can have a 32rd extendo clip.

3) I noticed fatigue setting in toward the end and my grip was looser than normal.  Not sure hot to train this when I only shoot once a month.  The sun, heat, weight of equipment all are a factor in fatigue.
Good stuff! Thank you for sharing!   :thumbsup:

300 rounds in that timeframe is a good amount of trigger time!  Prairie dogging is pretty common and one that an observant instructor noticed me doing a while back and like you, it definitely showed on the target. 

Shots on that size steel (little smaller than the USPSA A-zone) at 35 yards isn't that easy.  Of course add to it pressure of competition, shooting against your buddies, etc.  Performance levels of open division 1911/2011 guns are definitely awesome.  Especially if they are shooting "poof poof" ammo.   ;D

Fatigue is something I definitely notice as well, particularly when I am not shooting often.  I was pretty smoked after the training day this past weekend.  There are some simple exercises that you can do that will help with some of that, but there are certain muscles/movements that you really only get in live fire.  You should definitely come out to a pistol match soon. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2020, 10:43:50 AM »

2) Had a lot of discussion on gear choices during/after training.  Lots of different perspectives.  I'm of the mindset that I want to try for myself and see how I like it.  If people ask me about my setup, I am happy to explain why I have it that way.  And while I certainly have my favorite items, I openly encourage folks to find out what works for them.  Then there are others who openly push for people to go with what their preferred setup is, usually without asking the interested party what they are trying to get out of their gear. 

There was a guy who it was his 1st handgun class.  Told him just have fun and learn.  The biggest thing to remember besides safety is train through any issues.  He asked about gear b4 the class began, and I told him he will figure it out by the time class ends and after reflecting the next few days.  His mag also fell out when he was shooting once.  Duuuu Maaaaa.  We laughed together.  He did come prepared with a Sharpie.  Most noobs don't bring one.  So that impressed me.  He was running a G45 with RDS.

Taught him some stuff in-between breaks like when reloading, aim the base of the pistol toward the mag holder.  He was keeping the pistol at the target when reloading. He noticed a huge difference in ease of reloading.

He also just bought an AR so was asking about sites and gear.  Told him at most, add a red dot and then take a carbine class.   Same principal, he will learn what he needs after the class is done.  His reasons are for HD and not anything long range.

After the class was done, he said he had way more fun than being on the pistol side. 

drck1000

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »
There was a guy who it was his 1st handgun class.  Told him just have fun and learn.  The biggest thing to remember besides safety is train through any issues.  He asked about gear b4 the class began, and I told him he will figure it out by the time class ends and after reflecting the next few days.  His mag also fell out when he was shooting once.  Duuuu Maaaaa.  We laughed together.  He did come prepared with a Sharpie.  Most noobs don't bring one.  So that impressed me.  He was running a G45 with RDS.

Taught him some stuff in-between breaks like when reloading, aim the base of the pistol toward the mag holder.  He was keeping the pistol at the target when reloading. He noticed a huge difference in ease of reloading.

He also just bought an AR so was asking about sites and gear.  Told him at most, add a red dot and then take a carbine class.   Same principal, he will learn what he needs after the class is done.  His reasons are for HD and not anything long range.

After the class was done, he said he had way more fun than being on the pistol side.
Gear choices can be daunting for someone just getting into it, as well as expensive.  The cost of gear is particularly "painful" for those just getting into shooting as the cost of guns and ammo can be quite a bit as well.  Being one who wants to try for myself, I have spent a LOT in gear.  To the point where I look for opportunities to give some stuff away to friends who either need gear or wanting to try something.  Many of us literally have boxes or bags of stuff we no longer use or bought and found didn't work for us. 

In the case of my shooting buddy, for many years he has stayed very basic with gear.  Sticking with a "gun belt" and simple holster and mag pouches.  He has recently gotten interested in different belt setups that many of us have.

Good that you helped out the new guy and made him feel comfortable.  That's always super helpful, particularly when you can share a laugh about the class. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »

Good that you helped out the new guy and made him feel comfortable.  That's always super helpful, particularly when you can share a laugh about the class.

I told him b4 the class starts, don't drop a loaded mag by mistake.  He almost made it through the entire class.  Dropped it at the end..

drck1000

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
I told him b4 the class starts, don't drop a loaded mag by mistake.  He almost made it through the entire class.  Dropped it at the end..
Could be worse.  I've seen full mags and even loaded handguns come out of holsters!  One class, the drill was to run maybe 50 yards to a table and back.  The whole way down, the rest of us saw his mags and stuff coming out of his dump pouch and mag pouches.  Don't think he had any ammo by the time he reached the table (half way).  "Yard sale!!!"  :rofl:

Yesterday, I had a 9 mm FMJ round that wouldn't chamber.  It has some sort of nick on the bullet head or something.  Of course, a buddy was making fun of me for that.  Later, his AR mag got hung up.   :rofl:  It happens. . .

changemyoil66

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2020, 01:36:31 PM »
Can anyone find the Du Ma video?  It's an Asian dude shooting an AK.  He's supposed to be one of those IG expert shooters.  Drill started and he forgot to take the safety off so it went click.  All his friends (assuming Vietnamese also) were yelling Du Ma in the background as he looked at them with a disappointment look on his face.

macsak

« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2020, 01:42:17 PM »
Could be worse.  I've seen full mags and even loaded handguns come out of holsters!  One class, the drill was to run maybe 50 yards to a table and back.  The whole way down, the rest of us saw his mags and stuff coming out of his dump pouch and mag pouches.  Don't think he had any ammo by the time he reached the table (half way).  "Yard sale!!!"  :rofl:

Yesterday, I had a 9 mm FMJ round that wouldn't chamber.  It has some sort of nick on the bullet head or something.  Of course, a buddy was making fun of me for that.  Later, his AR mag got hung up.   :rofl:  It happens. . .

drck1000

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »
SNIP
It was only one boolit head. . .