Looking for a multi-purpose survival knife (Read 7634 times)

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Looking for a multi-purpose survival knife
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »
Like the title says, I'm looking for a good fixed blad knife. Kinda a do-it-all knife.

What do you guys think of the Ka-Bar Black Tanto Knife? I like that it has a nice long blade, a serrated edge, and a heavy duty butt. Any better ones that you'd suggest?

I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Tom_G

Re: Looking for a multi-purpose survival knife
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
That reminds me of the "must have" knife when I was in high school.  Except then it had a hollow grip that held a wire saw, matches and other survival goodies .  Plus, I think one model had a compass on the pommel.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

bushmasta55

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:31:22 AM »
I have a good old KBAR.

Jaydawg

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
From what I've read (yes armchair hunter here) the tanto blade isn't very good for skinning/dressing an animal or general cutting like vegetables/fruits.

knowledgeispower

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »
Check out TOPS knives.  Superb craftsmanship and many different types of knife to fit various forms and functions.  I follow all things edged, and it took me years of using Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, Ka-Bar, etc. et al before I finally found these guys.  Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I personally have the Steel Eagle 107D ,

and it is extremely rugged design.  A little heavy in some regards (22 oz) ,but the thing is the stoutest knife I own.  I use it like a machete to chop bamboo, small saplings, etc., yet it has the form for effective slicing, stabbing, and tactical fighting, and in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use it has a pry bar (1/4" thick!).  While I haven't tried it, I'd venture to say that the 3 small holes crafted into the single piece of 1095 High Carbon Alloy could be used to lash the knife to a stout stick with paracord to make a very effective spear (the advantage of having a tanto point). If tanto point isn't your style/need, the Steel Eagle comes in various points and serrations.

I swoon over other knives in their catalog ( Armageddon, Apache Dawn, Black Star, Covert Solution), but it's hard to justify to the wife extraneous purchases with money going to more important expenditures in the house, such as 6 month old.

I also have a SOG Seal Pup, a very nice knife, though I have the old style sheath which is a total POS.  The new Kydex sheaths they come with are good, and I've been meaning to upgrade, since I use this as my standard dive knife.  The powdered finish has kept the corrosion at bay for over 10 years.

I've read thru many different forums here, and though I've lived in Hawaii for nearly 4 years, I'm still brushing up on the laws, and contributors here seem to have a solid working knowledge.

In this respect, what are the laws regarding edge weapons?  I've read how they don't interpret a "diving knife" as a dangerous weapon, but would more specifically like to understand any knife length / fixed blade / folding blade laws that exist.

Regards and aloha,
KNOWLEDGEISPOWER

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
From what I've read (yes armchair hunter here) the tanto blade isn't very good for skinning/dressing an animal or general cutting like vegetables/fruits.

Would a 7-9" drop point be useable for skinning/dressing? If not, I may just have to pick up a separate knife for that kind of duty.

While I haven't tried it, I'd venture to say that the 3 small holes crafted into the single piece of 1095 High Carbon Alloy could be used to lash the knife to a stout stick with paracord to make a very effective spear (the advantage of having a tanto point).

It's interesting that you mention the 3 holes. I noticed that on the Gerber LMF II and the description states that it can be converted to a spear. I think the blade is a little too short for many things. I do like the look of that Steel Eagle, though. It does look like it would fulfill more roles.

As for the knife laws, they are outlined in HRS 134-51. It is very vague about what is considered a "dirk" or a "dagger" which appear to both be illegal. The State's definition is "one designed primarily as a weapon or diverted from normal use and prepared for combat." I also can't find any length restrictions. Not knowing any better, I'd say all the knives we are discussing would be legal.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Jaydawg

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:06:14 AM »
I'm trying to find an article in one of my gun magazines that talks about the different knife shapes and it's uses.  I'll try to find it this weekend.

Sometimes my mind tries to forget events in my life and when I started thinking about it I remembered that I do have experience with butchering cows and pigs.  With that said, I prefer to have knives with a nice curved belly for skinning and continues to a straighter belly for slicing.  7-9" blade will be a little too long for skinning.  You have to remember the saying that you can have 1 tool that does everything mediocre or a selection of tools that does everything well.  I don't have a "survival knife" because I'm still in the beans and bandaids stage in my preps.  But in my opinion, I think a kabar will do a good enough job for all around and the price is surely a good selling point.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BSY9D0/?tag=2ahawaii-20

Serrations are good for cutting rope, clothing, etc.  It's thick enough for splitting wood. 

Good luck on your quest and I'll find that article for you.

tonsofguns

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »
If I am not mistaken, a dirk or dagger is a knife with two sharp edges, like a bayonet. The exception is for diving knives which in most cases have a blunt tip for prying.

From the title of this thread it seems you need a swiss army knife or leatherman, then I read the post and realized you wanted a fixed blade, which of course isn't really all that multi-purpose-ful.
Personally, my survival knife is a swiss army knife. And if I need anymore knife than that, I can use it to build one!
Btw, anyone forge here?

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »
I actually already have an older version of the Leatherman Wave. It is a great multi-tool that I hardly ever use. It's too bulky to carry around and is a jack of all trades but master of none. I guess this would be something good to stick in the bug out bag.

I think I'll just get that first Ka-Bar and see how it goes. It can be used for more of the heavy-duty needs and just use my other knives for smaller needs. Maybe I should get a good dedicated skinner too. Hmmmm.....
I am not a lawyer.

Jaydawg

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
I actually already have an older version of the Leatherman Wave. It is a great multi-tool that I hardly ever use. It's too bulky to carry around and is a jack of all trades but master of none. I guess this would be something good to stick in the bug out bag.

I think I'll just get that first Ka-Bar and see how it goes. It can be used for more of the heavy-duty needs and just use my other knives for smaller needs. Maybe I should get a good dedicated skinner too. Hmmmm.....

You might want to find a sheath that has a sharpening stone pocket...you could add a folder in there for skinning duties/food prep. 

tonsofguns

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 11:26:30 PM »
Just curious, what are your heavy duty needs?

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
Not really heavy duty, but being able to make a basic shelter, kill a boar, just things that a smaller blade cannot handle. A hatchet may be better suited to dealing with foliage...maybe there is no use for a large knife. Any thoughts on that?
I am not a lawyer.

tonsofguns

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
I think your basic swiss army knife could handle all of your needs and more. Of course you would have to catch a boar before you could kill it, and to construct a solid field expedient shelter I personally would use 550 cord and poncho, but that's just me. A heavy fixed blade knife is essential when hunting or killing, but I see it as a survival option. This is my opinion of course.