Best MREs on Oahu (Read 5793 times)

hvybarrels

Best MREs on Oahu
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:40:00 PM »
It’s that time. Have to update my supply and was wondering the best tasting healthiest options that are locally available or at least won’t wreck me with the shipping costs. I use them semi regularly as sometimes I get stuck back in the jungle for extended periods due to unforeseen circumstances, and they have really got me out of a tight spot.

What do you recommend?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Q

Re: Best MREs on Oahu
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »
It’s that time. Have to update my supply and was wondering the best tasting healthiest options that are locally available or at least won’t wreck me with the shipping costs. I use them semi regularly as sometimes I get stuck back in the jungle for extended periods due to unforeseen circumstances, and they have really got me out of a tight spot.

What do you recommend?

Have you looked into diy dehydrated meals?

I no longer utilize MREs after learning how to make my own DMs, and it has saved me hundreds of dollars, as well as allowed me to customize my meals to fit my personal needs.

hvybarrels

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:50:12 AM »
That sounds interesting and I’ll definitely check it out. I’m not a fan of food preservatives and tons of extra carbs.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

London808

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »
Have you looked into diy dehydrated meals?

I no longer utilize MREs after learning how to make my own DMs, and it has saved me hundreds of dollars, as well as allowed me to customize my meals to fit my personal needs.

Ive always had trouble with dehydrating to the extend where they are shelf stable, Hawaii's High humidity sucks.

Ive moved away from MRE's and gone to freeze dried (mountain house ect) for portable foods, for LTS i use mylar and oxygen absorbents 
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Q

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »
That sounds interesting and I’ll definitely check it out. I’m not a fan of food preservatives and tons of extra carbs.

If You want lower carb, look into pemmican and higher quality carbs that can be dehydrated into something like hard tack, but easily rehydrated. I do that with breadfruit and sweet potato.

Only preservative i use is salt and liquid smoke these days

Q

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:38:04 PM »
Ive always had trouble with dehydrating to the extend where they are shelf stable, Hawaii's High humidity sucks.

Ive moved away from MRE's and gone to freeze dried (mountain house ect) for portable foods, for LTS i use mylar and oxygen absorbents

If You have an extra room, get a simple dehumidifier and dehydrate and package in the room.

Also, unless preserved with Tons of salt, most meals should be stored long term in the freezer for maximum shelf life. Out of the freezer, i keep meals for 6 months max

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »

I would recommend against Wise food. I bought 2 or three boxes of their stuff about 5 years ago. I tried them recently and they were really bad, like maybe they went rancid. I tried more than one just to make sure. I saw a review where someone measured oxygen in the pouches and it was just about as high as regular air. They were salty but it was the taste that made them just inedible. I did send an email to the company mentioning my issues but they didn't reply. Maybe they have improved their quality since then but if they don't write me back I am not going to buy them again.

I did try mountain house. It is more expensive but the quality was so much better. It was basically as good as good canned food.

Just my 2 cents if you are going to look at dehydrated stuff.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
If You want lower carb, look into pemmican and higher quality carbs that can be dehydrated into something like hard tack, but easily rehydrated. I do that with breadfruit and sweet potato.

Only preservative i use is salt and liquid smoke these days

Can you share your recipe?

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
I’m a Mountain House fan too. Heck, some of the stuff I would eat hair because. I’ve tried Wise and not a fan. I mean if it came down to it, it’s calories, but with other choices, I haven’t bought Wise since.

macsak

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
I’m a Mountain House fan too. Heck, some of the stuff I would eat hair because. I’ve tried Wise and not a fan. I mean if it came down to it, it’s calories, but with other choices, I haven’t bought Wise since.

heads

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
heads
I think I meant “I would was some of the stuff just because.”  The breakfast skillet is awesome!

Q

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:01 PM »
Can you share your recipe?

Pemmican recipes can be found on YouTube. I simply use tallow and beef, but there are other recipes that may suit your needs that can include other ingredients.

I dehydrate mashed cooked breadfruit and sweet potato, grind into flour, dehydrate one more time, vacuum seal w/ silica packets, then store in the freezer indefinitely. You can dehydrate whole pieces, but not at effective.

To use,  rehydrate in hot water.  Look up babelfish5 And how he made a diy insulated rehydration thermos for best results.

My go to survival food is precooked dehydrated rice and beans, along with separate containers of salt and some type of shelf stable fat source i add after rehydration; usually lard, tallow, coconut or avocado oil. The fat is essential to making the RnB palpable long term.

hvybarrels

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:18 PM »
That actually sounds really healthy. Never even considered ulu but sounds like a great idea. Now I definitely need a dehydrator.

groveler

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
I'm a prepper sort of guy.
I have chickens, pigs, cattle, a humble garden
a substantial pantry of canned goods, grains,
beans,  and  daily necessities. 
I live on catchment and I'm
putting in an off grid 10 kW solar system.
Panels are in my shop.  I'm serious about surviving
if SHTF.
Every commercial freeze dried product I've ever tried
was virtually inedible without adding something to it
I consider them a waste of money.
A freeze drying unit to use on your own cooked meals is
at least $4,500 dollars.
I have a dehydrator for Banana chips, pineapple, and beef jerky.
works good.
MRE very pricey.  If you are in the backwoods and worried
about survival I'd recommend SOLAS  survival bars.  Unless you
hate Coconut, they are pretty good, very long lived, and
indestructible.
Remember the rule of three.
Generally you can only survive 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter,  3 days without water,
and 3 weeks without food.