First Aid course (Read 21257 times)

London808

Re: First Aid course
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »
From what he's describing, I think he was the guy in the table next to me, front right corner.  He had the med bag.  Only guy I saw with a RAT.

Correct
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

PalisadesKid

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
where were you sitting, PK?
i was on the side with the sliding door, sitting by bass monkey and changemyoil and london and just4kiks

Sorry yeah that was me at the middle table with the red bag and small IFAK. I figured I'd bring that stuff as it was suggested to compare to see if there was anything I should add to it. I pretty much leave that bag in the car in addition to a smaller version of it in my range bag.

screen

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Would anyone have interest in a first aid course that DOES give a certification at the end? I spend a lot of time learning from  my medics,  even had the opportunity to train with an SF medic,  and have private sector training as well. Not offering it yet because I have no certification as a first aid instructor yet,  but plan on getting that as soon as finances allow,  and am trying to gauge interest.
Training available at AthenaeumTraining.com

6716J

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
Would anyone have interest in a first aid course that DOES give a certification at the end? I spend a lot of time learning from  my medics,  even had the opportunity to train with an SF medic,  and have private sector training as well. Not offering it yet because I have no certification as a first aid instructor yet,  but plan on getting that as soon as finances allow,  and am trying to gauge interest.

I'd be interested either way. Just would need enough lead time to plan on the financials and around life schedule
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

London808

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

The big problem with this type of trading with certification is cost. The insurance/liability risks are huge for anyone saying I certify that this person is trained to do this, that and the other.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

screen

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »
The big problem with this type of trading with certification is cost. The insurance/liability risks are huge for anyone saying I certify that this person is trained to do this, that and the other.
Which is why I'm getting an instructor cert before teaching, so I have some sort of official paper to point to that I know what I'm talking about.
And I don't plan on making the training very expensive. I'm doing it more as a passion project than to make money.
Training available at AthenaeumTraining.com

changemyoil66

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
I won't be able to attend the class because it would be more than I'm comfortable doing.

Example: I'm okay with doing anything first aid up to and excluding chest seals (poking the needle for the air to escape is iffy).  So for me, this class may go beyond what I'm able to handle (knowing my limit).  Especially if I don't review/practice it all the time like how a medic would.

London808

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »
Which is why I'm getting an instructor cert before teaching, so I have some sort of official paper to point to that I know what I'm talking about.
And I don't plan on making the training very expensive. I'm doing it more as a passion project than to make money.

Either i didnt explain well or you misunderstood.

You as the instructor will be come civilly liable for the actions of any student you certify, If they try to help some one and mess it up and they point to you as the person who taught them you as their teacher may be sued. To negate this it you would carry an insurance policy in perpetuity the cost of this insurance is going to be extremly expensive and as such the cost of teaching the classes would be costly.

808ShooterMC

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
I found this thread a little too late!  Would be interested in attending a class if you ever decide to hold another one!

wirecounter

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »
Either i didnt explain well or you misunderstood.

You as the instructor will be come civilly liable for the actions of any student you certify, If they try to help some one and mess it up and they point to you as the person who taught them you as their teacher may be sued. To negate this it you would carry an insurance policy in perpetuity the cost of this insurance is going to be extremly expensive and as such the cost of teaching the classes would be costly.

Wouldn't Hawaii's Good Samaritan Law avoid this possible issue?  As long as the instructor is not certifying professionals?

zippz

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2018, 11:57:37 PM »
Might put together another first aid class in the Fall if the medics are up to it.  They're all busy for the summer.  Also wondering how many people would pay $500 for a professional class by mainland instructors.

I've been looking for more first aid info and found the following on AR15.com:

Presentations and references you can use as a refresher:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/training/Reference-Material/21-234707/?

Couple of schools I may consider if I'm in the area.  Looking for others.:

http://lonestarmedics.com
http://darkangelmedical.com/

some medical threads on ar15.com:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/training/Medical-Training/21/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2018, 01:38:26 AM »
I finally got around to buying an IFAK.  I went with the recommended Dark Angel Medical kit plus an extra refill.  Pretty pricey stuff.  I added the HALO vent seal option and chose to forgo the decompression needle since it's very rarely needed and it's been 10 years since I got hands on training with it.

My old kit was old.  I got the original CATs which I can still use as spares.  The combat gauze from 2014 is still vacuum sealed but the packaging is starting to separate so I'll use it as a trainer. Israeli bandage packaging is a little worn but still good and I'll use it as spares.

http://darkangelmedical.com/d-a-r-k-trauma-kit/

I also have one of these for minor stuff:

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
Sorry, can't shell out an $500 at this time.  Especially for 2 (Mrs. change).

On my to buy list is the combat gauze and about 2 more TQ's.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »

$500 is pricey  :o. The American Red Cross offers Adult First Aid/CPR/AED classes for less than $100 I think.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

changemyoil66

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »
The class would include more than that. TQ usage, wound packing, etc...
$500 is pricey  :o. The American Red Cross offers Adult First Aid/CPR/AED classes for less than $100 I think.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
This was posted to the Nexdoor.com community I subscribe to.  Thought it might be of interest.   :shaka:

I am a certified instructor for BLS, ACLS, PALS and Heartsaver CPR/AED + First Aid classes.
Check out my website HawaiiCPRToGo.com to book or message me if anyone is interested
in corporate business or private small group classes.

My name is Lynn Dagan 808-551-2299. I have lived in Mililani for over 18 years and my husband
and I are raising our children in this wonderful community.

Mahalo for your consideration,
Lynn Dagan
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »

There's cheap used/surplus Army and USMC IFAKs on the forums and ebay.  The CAT's in them are most likely legit.  Quick Clots may be expired or close to expiring but would still be good as long as the packaging is sealed.  Or can piece a kit together fairly cheap.  Get some close to expired quick clots, Israeli bandage, gauze, tape, shears, nitrile gloves.  It's difficult to find used legit CAT's.  Best place would be military classifieds or buy them new from a legit source.  Most CATs on Amazon and Ebay are counterfeits.  Can do without the Nasopharyngeals.  Chest seals can be made from the bandage wrappers or other sterile materials and tape.  Decompression needles usually cause more harm than good for most.