Best means for packing out hogs during solo hunts (Read 4422 times)

Q

Best means for packing out hogs during solo hunts
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:34:29 AM »
As I will primarily be hunting solo, I'm interested in how the hunting vets prefer to pack out their meat, specifically with regards to pig

I know the most common way most people do it is to gut and pack out the whole animal for quartering later (or imu), but Ive also seen the gutless method, aka the poacher method,  that appears to be far more efficient, at the expense of less net meat / wasted meat.

808Hunta

Re: Best means for packing out hogs during solo hunts
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
Aloha Q,

Yes, I prefer the gutless method I don't lose any meat doing it this way vs any other way and its cleaner.

Wish you the best in your hunting adventures  :shaka:

Q

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »
Aloha Q,

Yes, I prefer the gutless method I don't lose any meat doing it this way vs any other way and its cleaner.

Wish you the best in your hunting adventures  :shaka:

Thanks for the reply.

Ive been actually leaning towards and orienting my conditioning/training for the gutless method,  and from what I understand,  you still upwards get of +60% of the meat.  From what I've read, packing out is only really good for imu or if you absolutely want ribs or tenderloin, which really I'm not too worried about.

808Hunta

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
Aloha Q,

You can still get the tenderloins with the gutless method no problem!  I make my own bacon so I normally don't take the ribs unless I want some smoked ribs, but it can also be done fairly simply if you wanted too.

Any questions lmk

Aloha and happy huntin'

Rocky

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Hey 808  :wave:

Rockette enjoying the trigger, mahalo :shaka:
Have you tried/using  that fancy field dressing knife ?
Just wondering how well it works in the hands of a pro.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

808Hunta

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
Howzit Bradda Rocky!  Glad Rockette is enjoying the trigger gald to help out :shaka:

Yes, I have used it on lana'i in April and Moloka'i a few weeks ago and Africa last week it works very well. Mahalo for the gift greatly appreciate it  :shaka:

Needless to say it has worked hard in the last month and went with me all the way to Africa where it performed admirably mahalo again!!!

Trying to figure out how to host pics so I can post pics of my recent hunts hopefully I can figure it out LOL!!!

Aloha!

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »
Howzit Bradda Rocky!  Glad Rockette is enjoying the trigger gald to help out :shaka:

Yes, I have used it on lana'i in April and Moloka'i a few weeks ago and Africa last week it works very well. Mahalo for the gift greatly appreciate it  :shaka:

Needless to say it has worked hard in the last month and went with me all the way to Africa where it performed admirably mahalo again!!!

Trying to figure out how to host pics so I can post pics of my recent hunts hopefully I can figure it out LOL!!!

Aloha!

Glad to hear.
If /when you need new blades, LMK

Would like to see some of your pics.

My BIL is just starting to get his trophy's from the SA safari I got him.
Some pics below of Kudu, Waterbuck and a striped horse  :rofl: :rofl:.

Nancy will be out today squeezing a few off from several hundred yards, still shooting it from out of the box with no adjustment. Always a surprise !

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:16:45 AM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Q

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:10 AM »
Hey Q,  :wave:
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.  :oops:

Heres something handy for gutless skinning.
https://www.raptorazor.com/
pig vid and he even gets the ribs !

More vids
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrU8NVKAT1bYxcALyZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0NjZjZzZhBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=razor+raptor&fr2=piv-web&fr=opensearch&guccounter=1#id=&vid=&action=close

:shaka:

Thanks for the vid, Rock.

I watched the raptor knife vid a while back and added to the playlist as another gutless quarter reference. Not digging that knife though. I'm leaning towards using utility blades for initial cuts, my morakniv to skin,  and my old hickory butcher to remove the meat. I'm not really in to gimmicks lol.

I really did like the video from hog zombies channel. I think he quartered in less than 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go, as he doesn't skin until he gets back to the truck.

Bushido

808Hunta

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:22 PM »
Glad to hear.
If /when you need new blades, LMK

Would like to see some of your pics.

My BIL is just starting to get his trophy's from the SA safari I got him.
Some pics below of Kudu, Waterbuck and a striped horse  :rofl: :rofl:.

Nancy will be out today squeezing a few off from several hundred yards, still shooting it from out of the box with no adjustment. Always a surprise !

Aloha Rocky,

Beautiful animals I dont see the waterbuck or kudu though.  I only got pics of a red hartebeest, Nyala and Zebra I'd like to see the kudu and waterbuck if you can resend.

Aloha!!!

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »
Aloha Rocky,
Beautiful animals I dont see the waterbuck or kudu though.  I only got pics of a red hartebeest, Nyala and Zebra I'd like to see the kudu and waterbuck if you can resend.
Aloha!!!
Sorry, getting them mixed up.
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt