Do you think there will be civil unrest if another lockdown is put in place? (Read 4019 times)

QUIETShooter

Would appreciate your thoughts.  Another lockdown would be devastating.  Especially to those who have been unemployed all this time.  I'm concerned some people would "crack".

Not sure what is the best solution but I'm leaning toward just letting life go on and come what may.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

From watching the local news and seeing the strange things happening here like stabbings and numerous fatal car crashes, I say that people are already starting to crack psychologically. People are social animals and need interaction. On Saturday, the park by my house was packed with people definitely not social distancing.

I do agree that in order to survive we are going to have to let people be people. Apparently, catching the virus is not the automatic death sentence that some people would have us believe.
What, Me Worry?

ren

From watching the local news and seeing the strange things happening here like stabbings and numerous fatal car crashes, I say that people are already starting to crack psychologically. People are social animals and need interaction. On Saturday, the park by my house was packed with people definitely not social distancing.

I do agree that in order to survive we are going to have to let people be people. Apparently, catching the virus is not the automatic death sentence that some people would have us believe.

I agree. 90% of infected recover. There are only 2 options. Hunker down waiting for a vaccine or resume our lives and accept risk just like how we drive to work, take a run around the block, go swimming in the ocean etc.
Deeds Not Words

mrgaf

Depends on age and underlying health conditions though. There are some with these conditions that survive but the ratio is not encouraging. We need a viable vaccine but even then it will take a couple of years......
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Kuleana

Depends on age and underlying health conditions though. There are some with these conditions that survive but the ratio is not encouraging. We need a viable vaccine but even then it will take a couple of years......
Great Point!

It is nice to see someone with a big picture view of the situation.   :shaka:

Kuleana

There will be increasing numbers of civil unrest should another lockdown occur, albeit, not that bad in Hawaii, but far worse all over the continental US.  However, those who participate in those riots or whatever will do so for more, if not completely different reasons than the Covid-19 lockdowns.

Economically, there will be no recovery until Covid-19 is under control, globally.  Hence, if the spread is not reasonably contained, economic depression is the new norm.

For the US in the long-term, it is undeniable that the empire is rapidly declining on all foreign and domestic fronts.  Imperial military overstretch, provoking Russia and China, runaway money printing, the ultrawealthy owning everything, poor getting poorer, institutionalized racism, white and black militia groups, fascist cops, statue toppling, violent riots, selfish looting, daily protests, erosion of the the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and the empire run by the best-government-that-money-can-buy that is only concerned with maintaining its power and the status quo, you can bet its inevitable collapse and balkanization is really right around the corner.

Rocky

. We need a viable vaccine but even then it will take a couple of years......
China is on the cutting edge of a vaccine.
I'm thinking "World War Z" or "I am Legend" results.  >:D
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

changemyoil66

Not in Hawaii, people welcome the lock down all in the name of preventing the virus.  Too many morons.

Flapp_Jackson

The governor just approved a new order by the mayor to restrict gatherings to 10 people or less with the same 6' social distancing requirement.  This includes all gatherings, public or private, and regardless of household or family relationships.  In other words:  No Exceptions.

Don't worry about trying to keep up with the COVID-19 news.  The gov't will tell you what to do.

That is all.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

Would appreciate your thoughts.  Another lockdown would be devastating.  Especially to those who have been unemployed all this time.  I'm concerned some people would "crack".

Not sure what is the best solution but I'm leaning toward just letting life go on and come what may.
I think another full on lockdown will be scarring.  Not sure if devastating as it's already been devastating in many aspects for many people.  Thankfully not personally, but I know of those that are really hurting.  So further lockdown extends the recovery.  Or at least the way I see things.  I think people are cracking and think that will get worse. 

As for life going on and come what may, that's how I think of life in general.  Whatever challenges life throws our way. 

hvybarrels

Let’s just say I am doing some extra hardening, mapping out my backstops, and considering investing in soft armor.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

eyeeatingfish

No, I don't think there will be unrest. Protests probably will occur but not unrest at any significant level.

I wonder, during WW2, did people crack due to the limits that were placed on them for the 4 years were in the war? It's been 5 months so far, I think we can manage a while longer. Things would have to get quite a bit worse before I would expect to see some significant unrest.

hvybarrels

No, I don't think there will be unrest. Protests probably will occur but not unrest at any significant level.

I wonder, during WW2, did people crack due to the limits that were placed on them for the 4 years were in the war? It's been 5 months so far, I think we can manage a while longer. Things would have to get quite a bit worse before I would expect to see some significant unrest.

We got very lucky the hurricane turned at the last minute. Any number of secondary disruptions could push people over the edge. If we could drop the population down to WW2 levels and similarly reduce demands on imported goods then maybe you have a point, but a sizable chunk of the population has no idea if they will have a job to go back to. People with nice cushy setups may think lockdowns do not seem like a big deal, but they have no idea the amount of suffering that is going on behind the scenes and will be very surprised when violent crime and domestic violence starts to effect them. It may not look like Portland, but if the eviction crisis is bungled like so many other state responses then the situation has a high probability of turning ugly. When a large amount of people suddenly have to choose between food and a roof over their kids heads, the veneer of civilization comes apart much faster than these clueless politicians expect. Their little games might cost us all a great deal. along with the reputation of Hawaii being a safe place to visit.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

eyeeatingfish

We got very lucky the hurricane turned at the last minute. Any number of secondary disruptions could push people over the edge. If we could drop the population down to WW2 levels and similarly reduce demands on imported goods then maybe you have a point, but a sizable chunk of the population has no idea if they will have a job to go back to. People with nice cushy setups may think lockdowns do not seem like a big deal, but they have no idea the amount of suffering that is going on behind the scenes and will be very surprised when violent crime and domestic violence starts to effect them. It may not look like Portland, but if the eviction crisis is bungled like so many other state responses then the situation has a high probability of turning ugly. When a large amount of people suddenly have to choose between food and a roof over their kids heads, the veneer of civilization comes apart much faster than these clueless politicians expect. Their little games might cost us all a great deal. along with the reputation of Hawaii being a safe place to visit.

I think we have turned into a pretty weak nation if we are so easily pushed over the edge because of this pandemic. People complaining about haircuts for gosh sakes.

Hawaii has the worst unemployment rate in the country IIRC and we seem to be managing better than other states that have much better outlooks.

I think a lot of other things would have to go bad all at the same time. Plus, who would we be rising up against, the enemy isn't the government but a virus, so its hard to find some villain we would attack. If we really started to see food disappearing then I would be concerned. Again, I am not saying it couldn't happen, I am just saying I think it would be a ways of.

hvybarrels

I think we have turned into a pretty weak nation if we are so easily pushed over the edge because of this pandemic. People complaining about haircuts for gosh sakes.

Hawaii has the worst unemployment rate in the country IIRC and we seem to be managing better than other states that have much better outlooks.

I think a lot of other things would have to go bad all at the same time. Plus, who would we be rising up against, the enemy isn't the government but a virus, so its hard to find some villain we would attack. If we really started to see food disappearing then I would be concerned. Again, I am not saying it couldn't happen, I am just saying I think it would be a ways of.

The fact that you are doing okay does not mean everyone else is doing okay, but I do appreciate how you demonstrate the elitist attitudes that infect our ruling class. Let them eat malasadas.

eyeeatingfish

The fact that you are doing okay does not mean everyone else is doing okay, but I do appreciate how you demonstrate the elitist attitudes that infect our ruling class. Let them eat malasadas.

I guess if by doing okay you mean I have my own hair clippers so I am not suffering long hair then sure, I am doing ok.

My wife is out of work (she works in tourist industry) so we are by no means some unaffected elitist class. (I would own more and nicer guns if I were!)

hvybarrels

I guess if by doing okay you mean I have my own hair clippers so I am not suffering long hair then sure, I am doing ok.

My wife is out of work (she works in tourist industry) so we are by no means some unaffected elitist class. (I would own more and nicer guns if I were!)

It is not required to be an elitist to buy into what they are selling, just the belief that they will take care of you even when there is lots of evidence to the contrary.

drck1000

Hawai’i panics over hurricanes, threats of shipping shut downs, etc. Hawai’i is very different context from “the nation”. You’re either totally missing the point or making outrageous analogies just to be argumentative....

drck1000

Let’s just say I am doing some extra hardening, mapping out my backstops, and considering investing in soft armor.
Interesting. Why are you focusing of soft armor? Ability to wear under relatively normal clothing and not stand out?

Had discussions with buddies about armor and if/when scenario that each would feel the need to wear. There were some interesting perspectives.