Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii (Read 342364 times)

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
Handy new illustrated guide provided by the Hawaii Rifle Association

If you want to get a gun in Hawaii you will need a permit to acquire. For handguns, you will need a separate permit for each handgun you wish to purchase. For long guns (rifle or shotguns) you will need to get a single permit which will be valid for one year from the date of issue.

You will need the following documentation prior to completing the application. The application must be completed at the Firearms Section.
   1. Valid photo identification.
   2. Permit to acquire application.
   3. Firearms questionnaire form.
   4. Mental health waiver form.
   5. Medical Waiver form.
   6. Fingerprinting. (First time in-state purchase and $16.50 FBI fingerprinting fee. Bring cash.)
   7. Background check. (Background check includes, but is not limited to, warrant checks, local and national arrest history, local and national criminal history, local and national criminal convictions, any pending cases and TRO's.)
   8. Hunters education card or a handgun safety training course affidavit. (Handguns only)
   9. Proof of U.S citizenship if born outside the United States.

Permit to acquire
The following are needed when applying for a permit to acquire:

1. Valid identification that includes a photograph, such as a driver's license, state identification card, military ID, or United States passport. (You must be 21 years old or older to purchase a firearm.)
   2. Complete an application for permit to acquire firearms with specific information, including: Make, Model, Caliber, Type, (revolver, Semiautomatic,etc), Finish, barrel length, and Serial Number.
   3. The name, address, and telephone number of the seller.
   4. A handgun safety training course affidavit, or hunters education card.
   5. Provide proof of United States citizenship, if born outside of the United States, such as a United States passport, naturalization certificate, or birth certificate.
   6. If you were convicted of a DUI, you need to bring in a substance abuse assessment from District Court Drivers License Education. (IF counseling was ordered, a medical clearance is also required.)

NOTE: For the long gun permit, you don't need #3 and #4.

You will need to wait 14 days before your permit is approved. After the 14-day waiting period the permit will be valid for only 6 calendar days. Permits not picked up by the 6th day will be voided. Applicants will need to reapply and go through another 14-day waiting period, so please plan accordingly.

Registration
After purchase or acquisition of the firearm return to the HPD Firearms Section no later than 5 calendar days with the following.

1. Valid photo identification.
   2. Your original firearms permit.
   3. The firearm for inspection.

Complete the firearms registration form and sign the firearms registration card.

There is no 14-day waiting period for out of state registration. Once the firearm arrives in the state you have 3 calendar days to bring it, with valid photo identification and proof of citizenship if born outside the United States, to the HPD Firearms Section.

Honolulu Firearms Registration Hours
Monday-Friday 7:45 am - 4:00 p.m. closed on all state holidays.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:10:11 AM by 2aHawaii »
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Rookie808

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »
so im confused with #4 and #5.  do i need to get this in advance from my doctor?  is it a set form i pick up from somewhere, or is it just like a "steve's not crazy" handwritten note?  and #7 is that something the police station already has or do i need to get that from somewhere else? 

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:09 PM »
For the "not crazy" form, you just fill out the waiver and I believe it is sent to your current doctor. As long as they don't know you're crazy, you should be all good. :) If it's not that, it is just a statement that you are not crazy.
The medical waiver form is just sent to your current doctor.
Again, #7 is just another form to fill out.

There are a ton of forms. All you should need to bring in is your ID, Hunters education card or a handgun safety training course affidavit, Proof of U.S citizenship if born outside the United States, and your current doctor's info. Oh, and the money for your fingerprints if this is your first time.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Rookie808

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »
thanks.  for the pistol registration because its a one permit for one gun thing, do i already need to have a gun in mind i want to buy? 

Tom_G

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
You not only need the gun in mind, you need to have paid for it, and be in possession of some particular information about that specific gun, including:
Make
Model
Serial #
barrel length
caliber

[Everything after this sentence, and, indeed, this sentence itself, is a pointless digression]

Now, technically, the only thing that need be registered is the receiver.  I've taken the action of a single-shot shotgun down to register.  It was fun.  the conversation went a little like this:
"What caliber is this?"
"Depends on which barrel I attach.  I have several in different calibers, both rifle and shotgun."
pause
"How long is the barrel?"
"depends on which one I attach.  Somewhere between 16 and 30 inches."
pause
"Which barrel are you planning on using the most?"
"Um, maybe 12 gauge at 22 inches?  That's what I'm taking out this weekend, anyway."

And that's now what the registration slip says.  Funny thing is, I decided I didn't like that barrel.  That shotgun spends most os its life as a 20 gauge these days.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Jaydawg

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »
posting the hpd hours would be nice.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »
Yeah, the hours would be good. Does anyone know them offhand? If not, I'll call and check. I think they are M-F 9-4:30 but will doublecheck.
I am not a lawyer.

Redtail

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:29:54 PM »
You have to be there an hour early before they close if you're registering, otherwise they won't process you.  Bring exact amount for your fee.  They don't give you change, it must be exact.  I was lucky one of the guys waiting there gave me some change.
‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’
-George Mason

www.campaignforliberty.com   www.lewrockwell.com

Jaydawg

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
Yeah, the hours would be good. Does anyone know them offhand? If not, I'll call and check. I think they are M-F 9-4:30 but will doublecheck.

I tried looking on their website with no luck. 

Redtail

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »
http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gun-hpd.htm
M-F 7:45 am - 4:00 p.m. close on all state holidays.
‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’
-George Mason

www.campaignforliberty.com   www.lewrockwell.com

Rookie808

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »
sorry i have another question.  Do i have to go to the main police station to register or any police station?

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
You have to go to the main station. On Oahu, the firearms registration division is right in the front on the Ewa side of the building (don't go through the metal detector or you're going the wrong way :)).
I am not a lawyer.

Antithesis

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
A couple things to add:

- Public parking is metered parking in the structure right across from the police station.    A  quarter is good for ten minutes, a dime covers four minutes and a nickel a measly 2 minutes so bring at least $1.50 in quarters to cover your parking. 

-If you happened to not bring exact change for the fingerprinting, (or you spent all your change feeding the aforementioned parking meter ;D ) there is a small candy/snack shop on the left hand side of the metal detector entrance.  Just go there and buy candy to break any large bill you may have brought with you.  The lady there is a bit grumpy from always making change. 

- It was said in other threads, but it's worth mentioning here: the registration office is still opened on furlough Fridays, however it only has one guy running the window so processing will be slower.  Plan accordingly. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:17:39 PM by Antithesis »
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
For parking, there is parking under the police station (maybe that is what Antithesis is talking about). You enter from the street behind the station.

There is also parking in front of the station. If you are lucky enough to get that, it is a quarter for 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:21:28 PM by 2aHawaii »
I am not a lawyer.

Antithesis

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:14:03 PM »
I parked in the structure on Alapai and South Beretania. I'll try another parking lot when I go back in two weeks. 

stegosaurus

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
I apologize ahead of time for the many questions I'm about to ask (noobie here :wave: )

So, just to double check... I don't need to visit the doctor for the mental health and medical waiver forms before applying at HPD? What if I currently don't have medical coverage? Also, will it cost me anything to get these waiver forms? Does the background check cost anything? Lastly, I do have a DUI on my record from 6 years ago. Does anyone know where I can obtain the substance abuse assessment and medical clearance forms?

Once again, sorry for all the questions. I work two jobs so it's hard for me to find time to go downtown. I just want to make sure I have everything ready before hand so I don't have to take too many days off from work.

Thank you so much in advance!
"When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns."

Tom_G

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »
I apologize ahead of time for the many questions I'm about to ask (noobie here :wave: )

So, just to double check... I don't need to visit the doctor for the mental health and medical waiver forms before applying at HPD? What if I currently don't have medical coverage? Also, will it cost me anything to get these waiver forms? Does the background check cost anything? Lastly, I do have a DUI on my record from 6 years ago. Does anyone know where I can obtain the substance abuse assessment and medical clearance forms?

Once again, sorry for all the questions. I work two jobs so it's hard for me to find time to go downtown. I just want to make sure I have everything ready before hand so I don't have to take too many days off from work.

Thank you so much in advance!

No need to apologize.  It's a confusing system. 

You are not required to have a doctor.  Saying "I don't have a doctor" is an acceptable answer, so long as it is true. 

All the forms are provided by HPD, free of charge.  They'll hand them to you when you go to apply. 

You will need to take proof of identification.  I took my DL, state ID,  passport, and SoSec card as well.  They scrutinized every bit of it, even though it was "above and beyond."

The very first time you go, you will be charged for the FBI background check.  Only the first time.  Last time I checked, that was $19.25.  Take cash, exact change.  Also take a handful of quarters to feed the parking meters.

Your DUI is a bugger.  You probably had to undergo some form of counseling as a result.  What you need is a letter from that counselor, or from a local professional, saying you are no longer adversely affected.  Don't bother visiting HPD until you get that taken care of.  And be sure to take a copy of that clearance letter with you every time you return. 

If you are applying to acquire a handgun, you will also need proof that you've taken an approved form of safety instruction.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

stegosaurus

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
Thanks so much for the clarification, Tom. Looks like the process will be easier than I thought  :thumbsup: Oh, and I took care of the paperwork pertaining to the DUI today. To anyone needing the same paperwork:

Division of Driver Education
American Savings Bank Tower
1001 Bishop St., Suite 555
Hon., HI 96813
(808) 534-6400

Must bring an ID. They will issue the clearance form to you free of charge. The form is good for 6 mos.

stegosaurus

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »
Also, just tell them you need the forms for a firearms permit. They will know exactly what to do. At first, when I was on the phone with them, I just told them which forms I was looking for - not explaining why. They told me they couldn't release them to me. Then I told them it was for a firearms permit and they went "OH!" and told me to come down (you will have to sign a paper). You will also want to ask for Michael Muraoka (I believe that's his last name.)

Antithesis

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
Ah good info to know Stego, and welcome to the forums.