Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii (Read 345001 times)

VarsityShinebox808

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #540 on: September 03, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »
Hello again. I have another question regarding the check process. I've noticed that a couple pages back there was a hubbub about Kaiser not accepting the medical disclaimer forms if there was even a hint of mental issues. Now that's got me a little nervous because Kaiser is my healthcare provider and I'm not sure if me seeing a private counselor six years back is gonna show up in the background check. Assuming that the worst case comes true and I get denied then what are my options in disputing that I am both stable and healthy?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
Hello again. I have another question regarding the check process. I've noticed that a couple pages back there was a hubbub about Kaiser not accepting the medical disclaimer forms if there was even a hint of mental issues. Now that's got me a little nervous because Kaiser is my healthcare provider and I'm not sure if me seeing a private counselor six years back is gonna show up in the background check. Assuming that the worst case comes true and I get denied then what are my options in disputing that I am both stable and healthy?

Rule #1: Don't worry about it until you're denied.  There's nothing you can do upfront to stop it if it's going to happen.

Rule #2:  If Kaiser sends a negative response, they've washed their hands of you in the matter.  No sense in even trying to appeal to your doctor.  it's an administrative process that could flag you for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with fitness to own a firearm, such as counseling for dieting.  If it happens in the Behavioral health clinic, you're at risk of being rejected.

Rule #3:  If rejected by HPD, you need to find an out-of-network (non-Kaiser) physician who is willing to write you a "sanity" letter.  There's one in this forum on the BI, I think.  Others have had their names posted. 

Baby steps.   :shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

nahp01

« Reply #542 on: February 18, 2020, 07:13:32 AM »
Does anyone know if HPD has the forms available at the station?

Heavies

« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2020, 07:21:38 AM »

Drakiir84

« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2020, 07:33:35 AM »
Does anyone know if HPD has the forms available at the station?

For permits to acquire?  Yes.  They probably have the CCW forms too but why bother.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #545 on: February 18, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
Last few times I went, you can fill all out forms except for the actual permit form (two copy form).  They make you (or at least made me) fill out those by hand.

nahp01

« Reply #546 on: March 15, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
Do you guys know if HPD will notify you prior to the 2 week period if you don’t pass the mental health waiver?

Heavies

« Reply #547 on: March 15, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
Do you guys know if HPD will notify you prior to the 2 week period if you don’t pass the mental health waiver?
They used to call with discrepancies years back, don't know about these days.

Glasser

« Reply #548 on: March 15, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »

They did for me not long ago, and told me how to remedy the issue. But they also told me the permit would be available and released to me if I brought in the additional paperwork. When I showed on pick-up day they told me the officer who notified me shit canned the permit right after calling me and I would have to re-apply. That officer was a massive douche and no longer works in permitting / registration. I even got an email with forms to print and fill out from them after that phone call to fix the problem.

nahp01

« Reply #549 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »

Thank you. Hoping that they still do.  :shaka:

They did for me not long ago, and told me how to remedy the issue. But they also told me the permit would be available and released to me if I brought in the additional paperwork. When I showed on pick-up day they told me the officer who notified me shit canned the permit right after calling me and I would have to re-apply. That officer was a massive douche and no longer works in permitting / registration. I even got an email with forms to print and fill out from them after that phone call to fix the problem.

That sucks! The guys at permitting seemed cool. I inadvertently walked into the registration side at first, and they weren’t so pleasant. My fault for not reading the signs though.

robtmc

« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
I inadvertently walked into the registration side at first, and they weren’t so pleasant.

Your "employess" do not much GAS about what you think.

Their view is clear.  You work, or are subject to them.  YOU are the supplicant.

Where their salaries come from it too abstract for the police mentality to fathom.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2020, 07:39:39 PM »
Your "employess" do not much GAS about what you think.

Their view is clear.  You work, or are subject to them.  YOU are the supplicant.

Where their salaries come from it too abstract for the police mentality to fathom.

When Joe Biden was confronted with the FACT that, as a public official, he works for us, he told the guy not to be a horse's ass.

When we treat our elected officials like celebrities and voluntarily surrender our lives to the government, that is how they see themselves.
-- Melvin Udall

Jobabelcruz

selling a firearm
« Reply #552 on: March 22, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
Handy new illustrated guide provided by the Hawaii Rifle Association

If you want to get a gun in Hawaii you will need a permit to acquire. For handguns, you will need a separate permit for each handgun you wish to purchase. For long guns (rifle or shotguns) you will need to get a single permit which will be valid for one year from the date of issue.

You will need the following documentation prior to completing the application. The application must be completed at the Firearms Section.
   1. Valid photo identification.
   2. Permit to acquire application.
   3. Firearms questionnaire form.
   4. Mental health waiver form.
   5. Medical Waiver form.
   6. Fingerprinting. (First time in-state purchase and $16.50 FBI fingerprinting fee. Bring cash.)
   7. Background check. (Background check includes, but is not limited to, warrant checks, local and national arrest history, local and national criminal history, local and national criminal convictions, any pending cases and TRO's.)
   8. Hunters education card or a handgun safety training course affidavit. (Handguns only)
   9. Proof of U.S citizenship if born outside the United States.

Permit to acquire
The following are needed when applying for a permit to acquire:

1. Valid identification that includes a photograph, such as a driver's license, state identification card, military ID, or United States passport. (You must be 21 years old or older to purchase a firearm.)
   2. Complete an application for permit to acquire firearms with specific information, including: Make, Model, Caliber, Type, (revolver, Semiautomatic,etc), Finish, barrel length, and Serial Number.
   3. The name, address, and telephone number of the seller.
   4. A handgun safety training course affidavit, or hunters education card.
   5. Provide proof of United States citizenship, if born outside of the United States, such as a United States passport, naturalization certificate, or birth certificate.
   6. If you were convicted of a DUI, you need to bring in a substance abuse assessment from District Court Drivers License Education. (IF counseling was ordered, a medical clearance is also required.)

NOTE: For the long gun permit, you don't need #3 and #4.

You will need to wait 14 days before your permit is approved. After the 14-day waiting period the permit will be valid for only 6 calendar days. Permits not picked up by the 6th day will be voided. Applicants will need to reapply and go through another 14-day waiting period, so please plan accordingly.

Registration
After purchase or acquisition of the firearm return to the HPD Firearms Section no later than 5 calendar days with the following.

1. Valid photo identification.
   2. Your original firearms permit.
   3. The firearm for inspection.

Complete the firearms registration form and sign the firearms registration card.

There is no 14-day waiting period for out of state registration. Once the firearm arrives in the state you have 3 calendar days to bring it, with valid photo identification and proof of citizenship if born outside the United States, to the HPD Firearms Section.

Honolulu Firearms Registration Hours
Monday-Friday 7:45 am - 4:00 p.m. closed on all state holidays.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flapp_Jackson

Re: selling a firearm
« Reply #553 on: March 22, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »

Quote from: 2aHawaii on December 18, 2009, 10:30:36 AM
Handy new illustrated guide provided by the Hawaii Rifle Association
      :
      :

This was current WAY BACK in 2009 when it was posted.

Things have changed a lot since then.

-- Melvin Udall

Cannoli524

« Reply #554 on: April 02, 2020, 07:46:47 PM »
So, received a call from Honolulu Firearms Department stating that I need to provide them a "disposition letter" from the courts so that permit gets approved, how is that possible if most if not all courthouse "clerk" department is closed due to the Corona Virus Pandemic? Atleast till further notice. It's crazy cause this minor crimes i done was over 10+ years ago and the cases with dimssed/resolved. Also, I was able to registered multiple firearms within the pass few years. So why a red flag now. Anything helps, much mahalos!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Specter01

« Reply #555 on: April 19, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »
Option to schedule an appointment available. Currently next open is available a month out.

USMC 2000 - 2020

howzithowzit

« Reply #556 on: May 23, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
Hey guys, is the process the same if you are acquiring a long gun permit the second time round?
Scheduled to get it done but HPD doesn't have an opening til mid July, its pretty absurd.

zippz

« Reply #557 on: May 25, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »
Hey guys, is the process the same if you are acquiring a long gun permit the second time round?
Scheduled to get it done but HPD doesn't have an opening til mid July, its pretty absurd.

Same thing except
- don't have to pay the fees again (unless you didn't pay for RAPBACK earlier)
- don't have to fingerprint again

HPD prefers that you turn in your old permit if you still have it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

stangzilla

« Reply #558 on: June 10, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
From the time you can pick up permit to acquire after the 14 day waiting period,  how many days is the window that you can pick up the permit? Is it 10 days? I forget bc I usually pick it up on the first day. Asking for a friend. Thanks 🤙

Craig B

« Reply #559 on: June 10, 2020, 06:47:33 AM »
From the time you can pick up permit to acquire after the 14 day waiting period,  how many days is the window that you can pick up the permit? Is it 10 days? I forget bc I usually pick it up on the first day. Asking for a friend. Thanks 🤙

I was told five business days when I applied for my permits to acquire last month and in fact there is a paper taped to the window 
that has the "pickup dates" printed on it. It was recommended to me to take a pic of it with my phone.

Craig B

:) :) :)