.45 ACP LOAD - "RECIPES" (Read 29327 times)

vooduchikn

Re: .45 ACP LOAD - "RECIPES"
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
I load 5.0 grains red dot with a 200 gr. swc. It is not extremely clean burning but it is easy to verify that there is the correct amount of powder in the case, since it fills up the case better than bullseye. In addition to better load density, on a progressive machine I like to visually check the powder level before seating the bullet.  Red dot also makes for good light loads in 12 gauge and for cast rifle bullet loads.

I am currently using Winchester WST. It shoots well and seems to burn pretty clean. It also meters well in my 650.  I shot a lot of it at the last HDF shoot and had no issues with it. The load data is on my other computer.

I run a Dillon 650 and like you,  look down the cases (most times) to get an idea that the charge is right. Can't see in there when loading .223/5.56.  I have tried to figure out how to double charge a case, but do not see how it is possible on my 650 UNLESS you intentionally try to do it.

Nice to see another reloader on the board.

WELCOME!
Relax, I've banned myself..

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »
Better late than never...You must have been a shotgunner with lots of leftover WST. It is a useful powder for 45acp. In a 4' commander you are on the right track with 4.7 WST and a 230FMJ head. I would increase the taper crimp a bit, maybe 0.466 at the mouth. You should chrono that load if you are going to shoot mppl with that.
Failure to feed a ball ammo could be the crimp or perhaps an extractor adjustment. You could go up to around 5.0 gr.WST if necessary.

Tested these out today on the range. No failures to fire or over charged loads. I have a few (4)  fail to feeds in my Colt Commander. My buddy had zero issues in his full size colt. I attribute this to the fact that my recoil spring is stiffer than his.

The loads felt very light as compared to Speer Law Man factory ammo. The difference was very noticeable. I had no issues with shooting the Speer through my Commander. The OAL on our reloads as compared to the factory was almost the same with a slight variation amongst the group. I think this is due to using mixed headstamp brass.

Came home and reloaded another batch of 200, and upped the charge from 4.2 to 4.7gns of Winchester WST.   Will be out there next weekend to run this batch through our Colts and see how they shoot.

The WST shot very cleanly. There was no unburnt powder in the cases. All the guys i talked that reload have said to use "Bullseye" powder. Anyone on here have experience with this brand?
What, Me Worry?

clshade

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 10:40:23 AM »
5.5 grains Universal with 230 LRN. Lee tumble lube mold (ebay WW lead) using Rooster Jacket. Needs a medium-ish crimp to keep the bullets from shifting in their cases during fire. CCI LP primers because they are sooooo much easier to load into the priming tool.

Works great for me. Cheap as can be and accurate enough in the 5" XD.

I originally settled on Universal because I was looking for a Hodgdon powder (which is about all I can get easily here) that I could also use for a 44 mag carbine and eventually shotgun loads. The 44 idea didn't work out as well as I'd have liked but this load works really well in the stock XD. Much less and it will occasionally fail to cycle, too much more and its a +P load. The gun can handle it but accuracy suffers and there's no reason to beat up the gun that way. 

oldfart

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 06:07:15 AM »
I had too much time on my hands so I decided to create this diagram for 45 shooters who reload their own ammo.
While browsing other forums on the mainland, I noticed a surprising amount of poor quality reloading advice.
The dimensions shown are actually a compromise of functional reliability and accuracy. So the average shooter will find it useful.
As far as powder selection goes, I've tried many and documented actual velocity measurements from my personal firearms.
However I have not tried any of the relatively new powders on the market. I have too much old stock I need to burn.
For this caliber, I favor WW231 or HP38. I have had good results with Bullseye, Trap100 (obsolete), and Clays.
Unique is also useful for special purpose ammo. I can supply specific results if you have a specific request.
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
I had too much time on my hands so I decided to create this diagram for 45 shooters who reload their own ammo.
While browsing other forums on the mainland, I noticed a surprising amount of poor quality reloading advice.
The dimensions shown are actually a compromise of functional reliability and accuracy. So the average shooter will find it useful.
As far as powder selection goes, I've tried many and documented actual velocity measurements from my personal firearms.
However I have not tried any of the relatively new powders on the market. I have too much old stock I need to burn.
For this caliber, I favor WW231 or HP38. I have had good results with Bullseye, Trap100 (obsolete), and Clays.
Unique is also useful for special purpose ammo. I can supply specific results if you have a specific request.

Thanks for the pic.  It is perfect!

Haha, it took me a lot of experimentation to come up with what you have illustrated, and others can benefit greatly from what you posted, and not waste so many rounds trying to figure it out.   :thumbsup:

ren

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
Thanks for the reference.
I shoot bullseye pistol and just chono'd my match loads of 4.4 bullseye with a 230 FMJ on top. Only getting about 750 fps. Would bumping up to 4.6 grains help it get up to speed?
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
Thanks for the reference.
I shoot bullseye pistol and just chono'd my match loads of 4.4 bullseye with a 230 FMJ on top. Only getting about 750 fps. Would bumping up to 4.6 grains help it get up to speed?
=======
As I recall, match grade mil. ball spec was 780. Service grade ball is something like 830. So 4.6 sounds about right if 780 is yur goal. I never actually chronographed that particular load tho...
What, Me Worry?

Teichi

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »
From http://www.bullseyepistol.com/reloads.htm

A True Hardball Load for .45 Service Pistol

The following represents recipies to duplicate a true .45 caliber hardball load.

The NRA has published some load info that should fill your needs.

American Rifleman June 1993, pgs. 44-45
Loads to simulate Hardball recoil and energy 850 +/- 30 FPS vel

200-220 WC lead (such as Lyman 452460) OAL 1.16"
4.6-5.0 gr BE, Red or Green Dot, 700X
6.0-6.5 gr Unique
5.5-6.0 gr WW231
The above loads can also be used with a 230 gr FMJ bullet to get 850 FPS
+/- 30 with overall length of 1.25"

oldfart

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
From http://www.bullseyepistol.com/reloads.htm

A True Hardball Load for .45 Service Pistol

The following represents recipies to duplicate a true .45 caliber hardball load.

The NRA has published some load info that should fill your needs.

American Rifleman June 1993, pgs. 44-45
Loads to simulate Hardball recoil and energy 850 +/- 30 FPS vel

200-220 WC lead (such as Lyman 452460) OAL 1.16"
4.6-5.0 gr BE, Red or Green Dot, 700X
6.0-6.5 gr Unique
5.5-6.0 gr WW231
The above loads can also be used with a 230 gr FMJ bullet to get 850 FPS
+/- 30 with overall length of 1.25"
=============
Teichi-These are all good numbers that I have used in the past. I just shot some 5.6-231 with 230fmj yesterday. That load is in between match ball and service ball.
Remember match ball ammo in a white box?
I have an NRA publication on the 45 auto that is very helpful. It should be a part of every 1911 shooter's bookshelf.
What, Me Worry?

Teichi

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »
I used up all of my Bullseye, and W231 on 9mm. I working on using up my Universal on 9mm. I'm tapping into a 12lb keg of 700X for 45ACP 230gr Hardball loads at 4.5gr a shot and 4.0gr for 115gr 9mm. I figure it should last me another 6years or so

oldfart

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 12:19:25 AM »
=======
As I recall, match grade mil. ball spec was 780. Service grade ball is something like 830. So 4.6 sounds about right if 780 is yur goal. I never actually chronographed that particular load tho...
======================
Many apologies for the previous post. ---780fps was my velocity for my 230gr. IPSC major caliber match ammo. (fyi-it is lower now)
My memory failed me.
I just got home from work and looked at my stash of ammo and this is what I found.
For match ball ammo it should be 820. So 4.8 BE or 5.8-231 with a 230 gr. fmj would be approximating match ball ammo.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
I used up all of my Bullseye, and W231 on 9mm. I working on using up my Universal on 9mm. I'm tapping into a 12lb keg of 700X for 45ACP 230gr Hardball loads at 4.5gr a shot and 4.0gr for 115gr 9mm. I figure it should last me another 6years or so
==============
700x is great. I used to load 12 ga. with that. Then since I had a big can of that, I used it for 38's and 44 mag light target loads. I also used it for 45's with great success.
What, Me Worry?

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »

Sweet.  My new desktop background :D
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

Sixdirty6

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »

Got any recipes for Montana Gold 230gr JHPs over bullseye powder?

oldfart

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »
I think it is time to resurrect this thread.
It has been 4 years and some things have changed, like the new gen coated and plated bullets and some new powders came out over the past few years.
Anybody got some new info to share?

What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
I just started reloading for .45 Auto Rim using 250gr LSWC (Only boolits I have in .45) for my Model 25.  I use CFE Pistol, Titegroup, Trail Boss and IMR Target (New Powder). Does anyone have any pet loads for .45 ACP using 250gr lead boolits using any powder?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2017, 01:23:53 PM »
I just started reloading for .45 Auto Rim using 250gr LSWC (Only boolits I have in .45) for my Model 25.  I use CFE Pistol, Titegroup, Trail Boss and IMR Target (New Powder). Does anyone have any pet loads for .45 ACP using 250gr lead boolits using any powder?
I've tried 250 gr. Jhp in an acp before. I used AA5 powdeŕ.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
I also tried 250 gr lead flat pt but I can't find the data.
What, Me Worry?

mikenkapolei

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
I use 200gn powder coated SWC from Missouri Bullets, Starline brass and 4.8gr of HP38 or W231. Super accurate load in all of my guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspector

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 05:11:02 AM »
I also tried 250 gr lead flat pt but I can't find the data.
If you run across the data, would you let me know?

Thanks OF  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!