Can I kill rats with an air pellet gun in the stream by my house? (Read 223031 times)

robble1

I am in town close to kapiolani and university street and I live next to one of the streams that feed into the alawai.    My back patio is right up against it.   There seem to be hundreds of rats living in the stream.  They come onto my patio and eat up my vegetable garden and scare my wife when she is doing laundry.   My rat traps catch 2-4 a night but I see MANY more.  I thought about buying a quiet pellet gun to shoot them but don't know the legality.  There are houses all around.  The way the steep banks on the stream are it would actually be "safe".

Poison is out of the question because it is a waterway.

Thanks for the help!

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Can I kill rats with an air pellet gun in the stream by my house?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »
The BULLET/Projectile/Pellet/BB must not leave your property!
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

dogman

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
I know someone who bought a property next to a stream and their property line was the center of the stream.

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
I hate rats.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Ask mykedebauch
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

robble1

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »
The BULLET/Projectile/Pellet/BB must not leave your property!

That certainly makes sense.  Do you know if it's actual law though? 

I doubt any of the stream is considered my property since there is a wall at the edge of my patio.  The wall is on the edge of a vertical bank.  The other side of the stream is near vertical and overgrown with weeds and shrubs.  It's a rats playground.  I saw about 12 of them last night in roughly 10 minutes while shining my flashlight around.  Some were really quite big.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »
There was a guy on the forum shooting a pellet gun through a cemetery to shoot at something across the way. He got arrested. Story is on 2ahawaii kk blurted out his name.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

dogman

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »
How about a slingshot? Same rules probably apply but less likely to attract attention.

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »
Let's say you do shoot a bunch of rats by the stream. Do we really want dead rats dropping into the stream feeding the AlaWai?
Also, unless you retrieve them, the rats that don't fall into the water will start to smell bad as they pile up along the banks.
Sounds like fun tho...
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
yup, sounds like fun.

the only good rat is a dead one.
man, i hate rats.

when i was much younger, maybe about 9 or 10, i had a friend lived by the kanewai stream that feeds into the alawai
and there were plenty rats
i remember at night time you shine the flashlight and you can see all their red eyes. gives me the creeps.
thats part of why i hate rats so much.

macsak

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »
I am in town close to kapiolani and university street and I live next to one of the streams that feed into the alawai.    My back patio is right up against it.   There seem to be hundreds of rats living in the stream.  They come onto my patio and eat up my vegetable garden and scare my wife when she is doing laundry.   My rat traps catch 2-4 a night but I see MANY more.  I thought about buying a quiet pellet gun to shoot them but don't know the legality.  There are houses all around.  The way the steep banks on the stream are it would actually be "safe".

Poison is out of the question because it is a waterway.

Thanks for the help!

you're going to have to use poison to even come close to controlling the number of rats
no way you could shoot them all without drawing all kinds of attention to yourself

there are several alternatives
pm me if you are interested

dogman

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
there are several alternative
Need to import more mongoose.

robble1

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:27:05 PM »
Found the graveyard thread.  Seems that a pellet rifle is a no no since I am sure the stream is either city or county land.

Slingshot?  I doubt my aim would be good enough.

Yes, dead rats would smell.  Leads me to wonder - with all the live rats, surely there are many dying all the time of natural causes.  Why don't we usually smell those?  At any rate, if I had a legal way to kill many of them I'd worry about the smell when it happened.

I checked on poisons.  Almost all the good ones are toxic to fish and animals that eat the rats killed by it.  Probably a worse fine than shooting them.  Pm'ed.

I did order a blowgun.  I would only be able to use it on rats that were very close and even then I doubt it would kill them.  I do know the darts can cause some pretty good damage though so maybe. Going to try spear head and spike darts.

So far tonight I had two victor spring traps get triggered - neither caught the rat.  I've modded the spring traps to make the spring stronger and I also have nails sticking up all along where the bar strikes.  Still don't catch many.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:14:05 AM by robble1 »

suka

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 01:33:31 AM »

call the Dept. of Health and the your local council member, to get an eradication program from communicable diseases,

call action line and make the media go after the city.

but it take the fun out of killing them!
id take a few rats to rat heaven. but do it in secret.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 05:17:54 AM »
Need to import more mongoose.

Yeah because that worked so well the first time around.  :rofl:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:12 AM »
Honestly, get a couple of cats.

They really do kill rats.

robble1

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
We actually do have a mongoose living in the area.  I've seen it in our patio a couple times.  He is outnumbered though.

Plenty feral cats around.  I don't think cats are the great rat killers of legend.   A jack Russel would be 1000x better than a cat.

Last night - 5 spring traps tripped.  no catches.  The live trap had one.    Weird, the live trap is actually the most effective.  Only once was the door down without a rat inside - it's 5 for 6.

oldfart

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »
My friend said the wire cage traps with the cone down the middle works good.
I think longs had them on sale a couple weeks ago.
Then you can build a little colosseum for your little gladiators.
What, Me Worry?

robble1

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:17 AM »
My friend said the wire cage traps with the cone down the middle works good.
I think longs had them on sale a couple weeks ago.
Then you can build a little colosseum for your little gladiators.

tried one of those.  the bait was always gone and no rat - like 7 nights in a row.  That's when I went to more lethal methods.

Saw this and it was interesting but can't find any real info on it.  Also very few reviews and the ones that it does have seem fishy.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AQ4CY4U/?tag=2ahawaii-20

macsak

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »
tried one of those.  the bait was always gone and no rat - like 7 nights in a row.  That's when I went to more lethal methods.

Saw this and it was interesting but can't find any real info on it.  Also very few reviews and the ones that it does have seem fishy.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AQ4CY4U/?tag=2ahawaii-20

i've never caught anything in one of those cone in the middle traps