armed at work in Hawaii (Read 13022 times)

83rdrecon

Re: armed at work in Hawaii
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 10:41:24 AM »
I carry every day at work.  😉

stangzilla

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 03:58:53 PM »
I did the computer training at our work which goes over the basis of our active shooter protocol at work
there is a second phase which our manager will go over specifics with us next week I think.
but basically its, run/hide/fight
some of the video tutorial is just dumb.  part of their fight suggestions is to yell and throw things at the shooter like a stapler or tape dispenser.  that's just stupid and it'll get me killed if I listen to that.
I don't even know who thought up this protocol at work if they have any background at all in active shooter training.  I'm going to throw their protocol out the window and make my own.

zippz

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »
These active shooter classes are probably a one size fits all approach.  You'll have untrained workers, kids, old people, scrawny women and men, and the handicapped taking these courses so throwing things and yelling may be the most effective thing for them to do.  Some people never got into a fight before so having them go hands on the active shooter may not be the most effective tactic.  And since these courses are short and you're probably not going to train on martial arts every week on company time, they have to go with the most basic approach.  Even the most well trained person can freeze in these situations.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

All_rice

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 12:09:59 AM »
Copy Carolina and arm Natiional guard soldiers especially the highly visible one.
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
I did the computer training at our work which goes over the basis of our active shooter protocol at work
there is a second phase which our manager will go over specifics with us next week I think.
but basically its, run/hide/fight
some of the video tutorial is just dumb.  part of their fight suggestions is to yell and throw things at the shooter like a stapler or tape dispenser.  that's just stupid and it'll get me killed if I listen to that.
I don't even know who thought up this protocol at work if they have any background at all in active shooter training.  I'm going to throw their protocol out the window and make my own.
When we had our run/hide/fight training (more like talk), I recall that they vaguely touched on what "fight" meant.  I think the instructor/speaker mentioned some possible improvised weapons, but not much beyond that.  My office has a pretty wide range of people.  From active 20-somethings to beyond what many would consider retirement age, as well as being super fit to really needing the use of ADA features. 

Like mentioned above, the "training" has to consider a wide range of people.  The emphasis was really more on awareness of the hazard and to get people to start thinking about it.  There are those that will stick with the "it can't happen here" mentality though.  However, one of the higher ups here was at the site of a recent active shooter situation while it was going on, but luckily he was in a building that wasn't affected. 

Jl808

armed at work in Hawaii
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »
Hmmm instead of teaching "Run, Hide and Fight" when faced with a terrorist situation, how about teaching "Kill or Be Killed"?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:39:58 AM by Jl808 »
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 10:19:44 AM »
Bumping old thread, but keep in mind even if you can carry at work (HR allows), you cannot carry when leaving the office to grab lunch, coffee, picking up your child from school, etc... So you would have to keep the firearm at work secured if you leave the property to grab lunch.

RSN172

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »
Hawaii gun laws suck and the ONLY way it will change is on the Federal law level..

London808

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
This is what i had to watch as a federal employee.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

hvybarrels

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
HR people don't care, they're not the ones facing the danger.

Think about it. Human Resources. What do people do with resources? They exploit them!
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”