Flashlights? (Read 21237 times)

davgdavg

Flashlights?
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:13:12 AM »
I'm thinking about picking up a Fenix PD35 and maybe a couple of others. I like the 18650 batteries because they are rechargeable. Expensive though! Anybody got any suggestions or flashlights they like?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:22:10 AM by davgdavg »

macsak

Re: Flashlights?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
I'm thinking about picking up a Fenix PD35 and maybe a couple of others. I like the 18651 batteries because they are rechargeable. Expensive though! Anybody got any suggestions or flashlights they like?

henry at prime sports has fenix for pretty good pricing

davgdavg

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:23:11 AM »
henry at prime sports has fenix for pretty good pricing

I'm on Kauai  :shaka:

macsak

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
I'm on Kauai  :shaka:

ah, ok
some websites (like amazon) do not send the batteries due to fire/explosion risks
you can usually find an ebay seller that will do it
 :thumbsup:

kekoa

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
Check out "Four Sevens". They have awesome flashlights and awesome customer service. Particularly the Maelstrom lights are really nice. Fairly small, super bright. The MMU-X3R have several different programable light functions. Just set it up to how you like it. I have both of the Maelstrom models. One for work (Fire) it gets rugged use and has handled all of it, and one for home. A bit pricey but...well I got nothing more on that one.

http://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Regen

dafrtknocker

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 04:16:16 PM »
Buy direct from Fenix and get $10 off first order. they will also ship battery's to Hawaii.
http://www.fenix-store.com/

dustoff003

Flashlights?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »
Sorry miss read the title....

Okay now seriousness I have a close to if not 10 year old Streamlight Strion with a C4 LED and it is good for me. It cost about $150 new if I recall correctly, however it has a rechargeable battery so you don't need to buy $1 a pop CR123A batteries. The light has a charging cradle that has a 120v AC wall plug and a 12v DC car plug. It's been on 2 deployments now and is my daily usage light at work. All the best!

Streamlight 74301 Strion LED Flashlight with AC/12-Volt DC Charger and 1-Holder, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7F3KA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-134xbPRDQ5DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:44:40 PM by dustoff003 »

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 05:59:15 PM »
Don't worry about the cost of the 18650 cells, they will last you a long time. And buy good brand name ones that have built in protection, not some cheap no name cell, unless you want to risk a fire in your flashlight.

I am not a fenix fan but there are a lot of good quality chinese lights in the $50 range. Nitecore, Jetsam, Olight are all good names.

Depends on features you want. Some batteries are rechargeable in the body with the use of a USB plug. You looking for a pocket light to carry all the time or what? Give few more parameters. For example if you want a long term storage then go with a mechanical switch not an electrical switch to avoid vampiric drain on the battery.

I often purchase from battery junction.com or brightguy.com. I prefer to purchase american but there aren't as many options. Brightguy lets you search made in america lights. Candlepowerforums.com is a good place to talk and read flashlights. My most recent one was a nitecore MH20 and I am satisfied with that.

Silenus

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 08:52:03 PM »
Don't worry about the cost of the 18650 cells, they will last you a long time. And buy good brand name ones that have built in protection, not some cheap no name cell, unless you want to risk a fire in your flashlight.

I am not a fenix fan but there are a lot of good quality chinese lights in the $50 range. Nitecore, Jetsam, Olight are all good names.

Depends on features you want. Some batteries are rechargeable in the body with the use of a USB plug. You looking for a pocket light to carry all the time or what? Give few more parameters. For example if you want a long term storage then go with a mechanical switch not an electrical switch to avoid vampiric drain on the battery.

I often purchase from battery junction.com or brightguy.com. I prefer to purchase american but there aren't as many options. Brightguy lets you search made in america lights. Candlepowerforums.com is a good place to talk and read flashlights. My most recent one was a nitecore MH20 and I am satisfied with that.

I second all of this. I'd add Illumn as another very good place for lights and batteries. Avoid Amazon for batteries. Almost everything there are cheap crap batteries that are literally dangerous to use. Good quality cells with built in protection circuits are worth the money (unless the light has built in protection circuit, then you can use unprotected cells). The forums mentioned have tons of info and battery recommendations. I'd throw in r/flashlight too.

For sure give some more info on what exactly your use and needs for the light are. There are a LOT of good lights out there now. Also aside from the common things you might look at for comparison like size, battery type, lumens and run time...consider also tint (neutral white tints are far more popular now) and CRI rating. High CRI lights, particularly ones with newer Nichia emitters are the new hotness apparently. I haven't tried one yet but my next light will probably be high CRI to see what all the fuss is about. 

davgdavg

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »

Mahalo for the replies.

I am looking for a flashlight (s) that have at least a high and low power setting, use 1 or 2 18650 batteries, and I will be recharging them either via ac outlets to USB or solar to USB. Basically all purpose survival lights, if the power goes off, gotta leave home, or whatever. I would prefer to keep it under $60 per light.

sa594

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 11:38:54 PM »
Mahalo for the replies.

I am looking for a flashlight (s) that have at least a high and low power setting, use 1 or 2 18650 batteries, and I will be recharging them either via ac outlets to USB or solar to USB. Basically all purpose survival lights, if the power goes off, gotta leave home, or whatever. I would prefer to keep it under $60 per light.

Just my $.02, if you're looking for an EDC flashlight or something that will be used quite often then the rechargeable batteries are great. If you're looking for a survival light, I would rather just stuff a couple extra batteries in my bag then have to worry about finding a power supply or sunlight to charge the flashlight.

tim808

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »
Anker - $10 for 400 lumen on amazon

They can use 18650 or typical rechargeable 3a batteries

$24 for 900 lumen

I use them for general use but also have streamlight polytacs when a working light is important

99/100 I use the flashlight on my phone since it is practically on me 24/7

Anker is known for their phone charging cords, portable batteries, decent quality and good customer service.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:47:07 PM by tim808 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »
Im looking for a edc light that will blind an attacker. Gonna research more on anker. Was gonna go with Fenix 960lumin, but anker is way way way cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jaynick

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Im looking for a edc light that will blind an attacker. Gonna research more on anker. Was gonna go with Fenix 960lumin, but anker is way way way cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
id go with something besides anker. those lights can  be had for mere dollars direct from china off something like fasttech or banggood. they just slap their name on junk.

if you want something on a budget then id get a convoy or some other high quality knockoff.   buying brand name flashlights is kinda pointless to me now because they require you to pay shipping and even pay for parts most of the time. for instance i have a $100 zebralight that will cost about $40 to fix n ship and they said could take a month but i dont want to send it in because it still works mostly and there is a gen2 that is much brighter and smaller now. i also sent in a 4sevens light and it took over a month and arrived dusty as hell and with more marks than when i sent it. i still rock a 4sevens on my keychain tho. i have yet to find a better keychain light.

http://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2-Blue-XM-L2-71358-35-Modes-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-994206.html?rmmds=category
http://www.banggood.com/NEW-Convoy-C8-AK47-71358-35-Modes-Integrated-Head-LED-Flashlight-p-980285.html

the above lights are leaps and bounds better than an anker in build quality, output, throw, useability etc. you have lo mid hi plus hidden strobe and sos modes, and you can choose the led's tint color on personal preference. they are digitally regulated from an amc7135*8 board which is like having a honda gx motor in a generator, they are reliable and efficient.  you can even user upgrade the boards chips for more or less power like how 2a member 841gun posted before. although i personally do not recommend building your own light from parts. it is not worthwhile at this point in time. i stopped building 2-3 years ago because of improved designs and cheap prices. same reason i dont reload 9mm. its cheap and plentiful and not worth the time for most people.

jaynick

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »
you can cheap out and get solid lights for $20 bucks now, but put that saved money towards good batteries and a charger. panasonic based batteries are my favorite and nitecore or xtar chargers are good to go.

solidjohnny

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
I picked up a Surefire Sidekick keychain light.  I keep it with my car keys and use it daily.  Lasts a long time on one charge, and I just charge it once in a while on the drive home.  3 brightness levels which are perfect.  Surprisingly powerful light.  You can program the light to start off at the dimmest setting (default) or brightest setting.  Price is pretty up there, but for how often I use it and how convenient it is - totally worth it. 

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
I have Surefire and Streamlight.  I've bought a few Streamlight via eBay recently and they are awesome and for a good price. 

I have some "off" branded ones, but many are pretty crappy and fragile.  One drop and they are done. 

AWS-GTAW

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
I had bad luck with fenix products. I bought a few of there products from the gun show/blaisdell few years ago. There was a,local fenix dist there.   I tried to contact him about the defective lights i bought with no solution and a empty gesture. Ended up throwing them away.  I rather buy cheap flashlights from costco.  And good streamlights/surefire for more serious use.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
I had bad luck with fenix products. I bought a few of there products from the gun show/blaisdell few years ago. There was a,local fenix dist there.   I tried to contact him about the defective lights i bought with no solution and a empty gesture. Ended up throwing them away.  I rather buy cheap flashlights from costco.  And good streamlights/surefire for more serious use.

I ordered all of my Fenix lights from 2 online dealers.  I have about a dozen -- all the TK (tactical) models:  TK15, TK22, and TK35.  I try to use the rechargeable batteries most of the time.  Occasionally I use the primary lithiums instead.

So far, I have had zero issues with them.  I even have one mounted on a shotgun with a mounted pressure switch.

I stayed away from the other Fenix series.  The TK line looks like the best quality.

YMMV
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
Re. Batteries.
I'm really fed up with alkaline batteries. The Costco AA batteries leak in no time.
So I bought Duracell.  Same thing. Just about everything that I own that uses alkaline batteries has leak damage.
About a year ago I started playing with 18650 and 14500 batteries. So far so good.

BTW my edc light is a little "hausbell" running on a single 14500. I've been using them for over a year.
Quite smàll but very strong light output. Seems very solid.
What, Me Worry?