No Gun Self-Defense Carry for my wife and myself (Read 18688 times)

20fromnow

Re: No Gun Self-Defense Carry for my wife and myself
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
I would also use whatever I could lift for protection like chairs, rubbish cans etc.
Good point...the survival mindset.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!" -John Steinbeck
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

20fromnow

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 09:57:44 PM »
kinda surprised no one mentioned boxing/grappling/martial arts
Agreed there's no gadget that makes up for a lack of training.

We used to be CCW holders and got a lot of firearms training...but other than the situational awareness skills, it doesn't matter how quickly I can present and put two rounds accurately down range.

However, I'm also asking for my wife so boxing and grappling with 1 or 2 adversaries of superior force is not a good idea in my opinion.
Also, I'm not a fan of being within reach of a bad guy....I'd rather maintain some separation and fall back to a contact situation.

KRAV MAGA TRAINING • That's why the Street is different from your Dojo

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:19:00 AM by 20fromnow »
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
Remember that Hawaii's laws pretty much screw you.  You cannot protect your property.  You have to surrender it to the robber.  You can protect yourself and others (wife) if there is immediate death, serious injury, sodomy, rape, or kidnap.  Per HRS use of deadly force codes.  That's how I interpreted it.  HRS 703-304

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0703/HRS_0703-0304.htm

So EDC in Hawaii sucks compared to other states.

zippz

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
Remember that Hawaii's laws pretty much screw you.  You cannot protect your property.  You have to surrender it to the robber.  You can protect yourself and others (wife) if there is immediate death, serious injury, sodomy, rape, or kidnap.  Per HRS use of deadly force codes.  That's how I interpreted it.  HRS 703-304

There's a lot of confusion on the "protection of property" in a robbery.  If someone threatens you with a knife and demands your wallet, then it can become a protection of life.  If you are truly in fear of your life then you can defend yourself because you don't know what this guy is going to do even if you give them the wallet.  The robber is armed and made threats of violence at you.  This is different from protection of property like if a person snatches the wallet out of your hand and runs away.  You can't shoot them because there is no threat to your life.  Robbery is a crime of violence.  Pick pocketing is theft and is a property crime.  This is the difference between a ROBBER and a THIEF.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  If threatened with a knife, I would most likely give up my wallet depending on the situation.  You should take a class on self-defense laws, such as a CCW course even though you may not CCW.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:52:59 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

20fromnow

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  If threatened with a knife, I would most likely give up my wallet depending on the situation.
My rule of thumb is, "If it's not worth dying for, it's not worth killing for."
That's a very short list.

...and any hands-on confrontation can escalate just like an argument about nothing with your wife can end up ruining your day.

I appreciate in the video they straight up said, RUN. They were being real. That's not always an option, and I'd have to give my wife a head start.

zippz

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 11:29:35 AM »
"If it's not worth dying for, it's not worth killing for."

That and the video is a good reminder.  Other simple statements I use are:

Expect the unexpected
There are no fair fights
Complacency kills
No such thing as over training
People are overconfident in their abilities
Don't expect help from bystanders
Best outcome in self-defense is to keep what you previously had.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
First thing to do in a confrontation is to let the ego go.  That is the most difficult to do, especially if your wife/gf is standing next to you.  But the moment our lives are in imminant danger, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

I'm going to Vegas in 2 weeks to take our CCW.  And I tell my wife if some guy grabs your ass, we should just walk away.  IDK if he's carry or what his boys are carrying.  Avoidance is #1.

Excellent video.

20fromnow

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
Big time...the best way to win a fight is to not get in one.

I'm going to Vegas in 2 weeks to take our CCW.
Frontsight? I've been there for 43 days of training, but that's a different thread or PM.

zippz

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
After your class, pickup some cheap ammo at Walmart then head up to Clark County Shooting Complex at the northern tip of las vegas (30 minutes away) and practice shooting from a holster there.  It's a nice range that puts Koko Head to shame.

changemyoil66

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
Big time...the best way to win a fight is to not get in one.
Frontsight? I've been there for 43 days of training, but that's a different thread or PM.

Class will be at Battlefield LV. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
After your class, pickup some cheap ammo at Walmart then head up to Clark County Shooting Complex at the northern tip of las vegas (30 minutes away) and practice shooting from a holster there.  It's a nice range that puts Koko Head to shame.

maybe next trip, not bringing my handgun this time around.  But we are bringing home 11lbs of ammo each.

20fromnow

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »
But we are bringing home 11lbs of ammo each.
Fun fact: As of 8/1/16, Alaska Airlines limits ammo on domestic flights only by the normal baggage weight of 50#.
We packed about 40# of ammo and topped off with clothes for padding in heavy duty buckets and checked them on our way here.
I can't remember exactly how much was in each bucked, but it was around 1600 9mm.
A handheld luggage scale is always your friend anyway when returning from the mainland.

RSN172

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
Seven 50 Rd boxes of 124 gr 9mm weighs 11 lbs., which is what I brought back on my last trip to Vegas.

changemyoil66

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
Seven 50 Rd boxes of 124 gr 9mm weighs 11 lbs., which is what I brought back on my last trip to Vegas.

Thanks for the info.  I was gonna ask Walmart for a scale.

RSN172

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
The HA agent had me take it out and put the 7 boxes on the scale.  It weighed 11.5 lbs, but I told her the 7 empty boxes by itself would weight at least half lb and she let it go.

macsak

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »

i made a new thread from info i got off the internet about weight of each caliber
check it out

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »
i made a new thread from info i got off the internet about weight of each caliber
check it out
Or if walmart has no scale, look for 2; 5lbs bag hinode rice and compare.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

macsak

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
Or if walmart has no scale, look for 2; 5lbs bag hinode rice and compare.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

O3A3man

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
Unfortunately we live in a far left controlled State so personal safety is not on our politician's agenda. I would not want to use a knife as this puts you in close proximity to your attacker. You want to keep them at distance.  Forget that pepper spray with the small mouth spray size canister. Go to the hardware store and buy the Wasp and or Yellow Jacket nest  bug spray---the one that shoots 15 to 20 ft. This is way better than pepper spray and gives you some range and 16 ounces. Just shoot for the face and eyes. Also, you can legally carry a 15 inch cresent wrench or a Maglite 4 or 6 cell flashlight which makes a very good legal club. Here in Hawaii there is no Castle Doctrine laws so you will be treated like you are the criminal even if you shoot someone in self defense. The local State government  and law enforcement will not support you. Even if you were justified the criminal's family will hit you with a wrongful death lawsuit. It will not matter whether he was a repeat offender with a long rap sheet.  This is what living in a  "Liberal Progressive" world means.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"

Thomas Jefferson

macsak

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
Unfortunately we live in a far left controlled State so personal safety is not on our politician's agenda. I would not want to use a knife as this puts you in close proximity to your attacker. You want to keep them at distance.  Forget that pepper spray with the small mouth spray size canister. Go to the hardware store and buy the Wasp and or Yellow Jacket nest  bug spray---the one that shoots 15 to 20 ft. This is way better than pepper spray and gives you some range and 16 ounces. Just shoot for the face and eyes. Also, you can legally carry a 15 inch cresent wrench or a Maglite 4 or 6 cell flashlight which makes a very good legal club. Here in Hawaii there is no Castle Doctrine laws so you will be treated like you are the criminal even if you shoot someone in self defense. The local State government  and law enforcement will not support you. Even if you were justified the criminal's family will hit you with a wrongful death lawsuit. It will not matter whether he was a repeat offender with a long rap sheet.  This is what living in a  "Liberal Progressive" world means.
We do have castle doctrine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk