Anyone own a handled thermal device? (Read 4540 times)

eyeeatingfish

Anyone own a handled thermal device?
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:46 AM »
They are coming down in price a bit now. These are about $500-$600. I saw two on optics planet that caught my attention. Not as much detail as a good night vision system but definitely more capabilities.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/flir-systems-scout-tk-mini-thermal-monocular.html
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupold-lto-tracker-thermal-imaging-monocular.html?_iv_code=LU-HS-LTO-172830&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CLC37NLr3NECFRB4fgodNqAIrw

ren

Re: Anyone own a handled thermal device?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
handled couple in the sand box and at Kokohead. pretty cool. the more expensive ones have greater range and definition
Deeds Not Words

Tom_G

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
I once used one of these to collect a bounty...
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Surf

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Handheld, no.  NV and thermal, yes.

Night vision is better for clarity but when comparing say a Gen3 or Gen3+ NV to a good high quality 640HD, 60HZ or better Thermal, I am not so sure which wins on clarity, but I also cannot afford a set of GPNVG's either.

For my uses, I greatly prefer my thermal vs NV.  While my NV set up has good throw with the IR and ability to recognize human sized objects out to 500 yds on its highest setting, the IR can be one of its downfalls especially when there is not enough ambient light.  If you have open area out to those distances great, but if you have houses, cars, vegetation to work through / around, close up objects will reflect that IR signature and wash out, or black out everything behind it.  I can dial down the IR, but then distance decreases.  So lets say if you are scanning an area or a property from an ideal observational spot, near to far objects really make things difficult as you constantly need to adjust,  NV has no day advantage unless if you have a digital set up like mine, but the addition of day use doesn't give as good of NV clarity as a tube unit.  Trade offs.  Another thing is that it is actually easier to blend into an environment when someone is tracking you with NV.  Harder to pick up concealed people / objects with NV.   So for pure target discovery or acquisition and NV isn't the best. 

A good thermal has clarity near NV, plus all the advantages of inherent to thermal.  Target or object ID after acquisition and NV is better, but knowing it is there to begin with is more important.  For ID, you will easily know the difference between , a pig, a deer, a goat, a chicken, a mongoose or a rat or a human and even a human holding a gun are easily discernible and they can't hide from Thermal.  There are ways of hiding from it, but doing the Arnold hiding his heat signature with mud trick isn't going to work. 

If I could only have one for my current uses, it would be thermal.  One good thing about a handheld unit is the ability to be free from say a weapon mounted unit.  Lightweight, convenient and easy to use.  Very hard to hide from thermal and most people or critters causing issues won't have thoughts about countermeasures.

Hybrid thermal NV units on the table are pretty darn slick and pretty darn expensive.

mochishaveice

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
I came across the FLIR TK Scout a few months back.  Looks like a really good deal.  Wish they made this model a few years back. . . I would have picked one up.  I think it would be perfect for Hawaii since everything is compact.  Can't beat FLIRs quality.

When my business was doing well a few years ago, I was able to purchase several thermal and night vision devices.  I don't have that luxury anymore.  I own the FLIR Scout TS-32, FLIR BHS Command with mid-range lens and the L3 Thermal Eye.  All are handheld units.  Love the FLIR units.  Excellent resolution and distance detection.  Simply amazing.  I do not really care for the L3 Thermal Eye unit.  It is just not in the same class in my opinion.

I own a Aramasight Zeus 7 thermal rifle scope.  Really awesome piece of equipment.  You can ID and detect animals / humans / vehicles a long ways out. 

Either way it is very difficult to hide from thermal devices.  Awesome for hunting!  Detects heat signatures both during the day and night.  Force multiplier indeed if SHTF.  Unlike night vision where it can only be used at night.

I own a couple PVS-14 Gen3+P monoculars and a few night vision rifle scopes.  Both are as clear as seeing in the day time.

Both have their uses especially in SHTF.  The PVS-14s can be helmet mounted and thus hands free while you run and gun.  Thermals can be used for early detection especially from a far distance.

Completely agree with what Surf posted.  Just wanted to share a few quick thoughts.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »
They have ones for $200-300 that plug into your smart phone but the reviews were well limited in terms of image definition.

If I get one of these handheld units I will write a review!

dannyc2131

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:46:23 PM »
I own both thermal and Night vision, as posted NV is harder to detect mortal beings because they don't stick out like a sore thumb like a thermal, I think NV is easier on the eyes and less headaches over long periods of time if it's a good image intensifier and brightness is the correct setting. I build a few models in my off time, you can YouTube how to build multiple sets like the PVS 14, PVS 7 (A/C and the B/D) versions as well as a few others, much cheaper to build than buy outright from TNVC or Opticsplanet, just my .02.

ren

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
I have a FLIR One (Android) and its OK for around the house but its difficult to ID things beyond arms reach.
Deeds Not Words