2017 Hurricane Season (Read 6008 times)

whynow?

2017 Hurricane Season
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
What have you bought or are planning to buy for the upcoming cane season? 
 I just got an Anker 21w solar charger for cell phones, tablets and a small 500 lumens LED lantern from Don Q.  The lantern using 3 D batts have a long run time in both modes, which is why I like low power lanterns for area lighting.   I also noticed Don Q selling couple Sangean brand SW portables but were not cheap.   I have a Sangean ATS-909 SW radio  bought for the coming Y2K extravaganza which fizzled out, but always good to have.
Soon I plan to buy 10 gal. of non-ethanol gas since I'm down to 2 gal. of my older stash.   If there is an actual watch alert I'll get a few cases soups, toilet paper (2 case)  from Costco and if an actual warning then buy bulk ice to fill coolers.  That's all that I can think of for now.

Rocky

Re: 2017 Hurricane Season
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
What have you bought or are planning to buy for the upcoming cane season? 
 I just got an Anker 21w solar charger for cell phones, tablets and a small 500 lumens LED lantern from Don Q.  The lantern using 3 D batts have a long run time in both modes, which is why I like low power lanterns for area lighting.   I also noticed Don Q selling couple Sangean brand SW portables but were not cheap.   I have a Sangean ATS-909 SW radio  bought for the coming Y2K extravaganza which fizzled out, but always good to have.
Soon I plan to buy 10 gal. of non-ethanol gas since I'm down to 2 gal. of my older stash.   If there is an actual watch alert I'll get a few cases soups, toilet paper (2 case)  from Costco and if an actual warning then buy bulk ice to fill coolers.  That's all that I can think of for now.

Sorry Dude, bad plan,
"If there is an actual watch alert I'll get" stuck with all the other "if there's" crowd, price gouging,  :grrr:
" if an actual warning" most of what you want will be gone after you fight the crowd of panic'd "if there's".  :shake: :wtf:

Buy the things you always use anyway as long as you can use them before expiration.
Listen, prices don't go down so whatever you buy now that you regularly use or eat  will be used at a later time when it probably will cost more.  :geekdanc:

This page is titled "Preparedness and Survival" not wait and see then see what I can do.  :P
"if there's"   "I'll get"  is not being prepared.
(Rockette just laughed and mentioned that this was the first time in years that she saw only one extra case of paper towels (But there are 5 cases TP  ;D)

After an alert or warning, you know that guy at the gas station waiting in line with all of his 5 gal cans, or the man in the store with 8 gallons of milk and a cart full of meat (even tho he has no freezer and even if he did he's not prepared for a power outage) ?  :crazy:

I'm not that guy.
I'm in my front yard having a drink and shooting bow not giving a shit cuz it's alll already there.   :thumbsup:

Why now whynow ?
cuz laterz too late.   :shake: :shake:

:shaka:

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

RSN172

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
I am pretty much prepared all the time.  I have a 10,000 gal water tank, ten 5 gal propane tanks, always have lots of toilet paper and paper towels, fifteen 18650 batteries and five flashlights that use them which on the lower settings will last 80 hours on one battery.  Two refrigerators and a chest freezer with lots of food.  Two generators, a Honda EU3000 and a loud one with 4800 watts which is strong enough to run the clothes dryer.  Two cast iron propane stoves, a backhoe in case I have to move heavy stuff, a chipper, 35 gals of gas and 50 gals of diesel all with fuel stabilizers.  Makita 18v flashlights, saws, drills and drivers and ten Makita 4 and 3 amp batteries.  A .22 rifle and pistol, an AR15, a Glock 9mm and over 18,000 rounds of ammo.  Lots of rope, parachute cord, zip ties up to 30 inches in length, rachet straps,  plywood, 2x4s and other assorted lumber, hundreds of deck screws from 1.25 to 3.5 inches,  dozens of carriage bolts from 1.5 to 4.5 inches, a roll of 25x100 ft of 6 mil plastic, duct tape and in the yard, lots of bamboo that could be used to build shelter.  They range from 1 to 3 inches in diameter and 25 ft long.  Six assorted chainsaws up to a Stihl MS880 with a 60 inch bar, and a Woodmizer lumber mill  Chickens that give me 10 to 15 eggs a day.  When you live in a remote section of Puna, you gotta be ready for worst case scenarios.

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »
I am pretty much prepared all the time.  I have a 10,000 gal water tank, ten 5 gal propane tanks, always have lots of toilet paper and paper towels, fifteen 18650 batteries and five flashlights that use them which on the lower settings will last 80 hours on one battery.  Two refrigerators and a chest freezer with lots of food.  Two generators, a Honda EU3000 and a loud one with 4800 watts which is strong enough to run the clothes dryer.  Two cast iron propane stoves, a backhoe in case I have to move heavy stuff, a chipper, 35 gals of gas and 50 gals of diesel all with fuel stabilizers.  Makita 18v flashlights, saws, drills and drivers and ten Makita 4 and 3 amp batteries.  A .22 rifle and pistol, an AR15, a Glock 9mm and over 18,000 rounds of ammo.  Lots of rope, parachute cord, zip ties up to 30 inches in length, rachet straps,  plywood, 2x4s and other assorted lumber, hundreds of deck screws from 1.25 to 3.5 inches,  dozens of carriage bolts from 1.5 to 4.5 inches, a roll of 25x100 ft of 6 mil plastic, duct tape and in the yard, lots of bamboo that could be used to build shelter.  They range from 1 to 3 inches in diameter and 25 ft long.  Six assorted chainsaws up to a Stihl MS880 with a 60 inch bar, and a Woodmizer lumber mill  Chickens that give me 10 to 15 eggs a day.  When you live in a remote section of Puna, you gotta be ready for worst case scenarios.

got  this ?
  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :wave:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

whynow?

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Sorry Dude, bad plan,
"If there is an actual watch alert I'll get" stuck with all the other "if there's" crowd, price gouging,  :grrr:
" if an actual warning" most of what you want will be gone after you fight the crowd of panic'd "if there's".  :shake: :wtf:

Buy the things you always use anyway as long as you can use them before expiration.
Listen, prices don't go down so whatever you buy now that you regularly use or eat  will be used at a later time when it probably will cost more.  :geekdanc:

This page is titled "Preparedness and Survival" not wait and see then see what I can do.  :P
"if there's"   "I'll get"  is not being prepared.
(Rockette just laughed and mentioned that this was the first time in years that she saw only one extra case of paper towels (But there are 5 cases TP  ;D)

After an alert or warning, you know that guy at the gas station waiting in line with all of his 5 gal cans, or the man in the store with 8 gallons of milk and a cart full of meat (even tho he has no freezer and even if he did he's not prepared for a power outage) ?  :crazy:

I'm not that guy.
I'm in my front yard having a drink and shooting bow not giving a shit cuz it's alll already there.   :thumbsup:

Why now whynow ?
cuz laterz too late.   :shake: :shake:

Well, I tell you what dude, me saying I want to buy 2 cases of soup and some TP, without blabbering about my current food preps over the net, is like having 5K of .223 or 9mm and you want to buy another 100-200 rds.  Do I need the extra ammo, I no tink so.  But if the situation arises I will buy it unless there's panic traffic or lines.  If no can, I still don't lose.   Living a lifetime on this island, most of the canes or TS come in August or September, although Fico came in July and Iwa in November, so buying gas/storing/treating it now is something I will wait till July or unless I use up the 2 gal. earlier. 
Waiting till the warning to buy bulk ice at a nearby Texaco is because ice in my coolers only last 5 days max.  and will be in a different form if that warning comes in August or September.  I don't own no freezer boxes.
But you have everything you need  now, well good for you.  You da bes'

whynow?

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
Well you got me beat on the water, chickens and chainsaws.  Only got 4 and largest is a 440.  Living in Puna, no wonder you got a lot of stuff.  Been prepping since 1999 and since my prior main hobby was shore casting with some slide bait, I got lots of camping gear/coolers.   Got white gas, propane, fluorescent, LED flashlights,lanterns.   Got the regular handtools and powertools for a homeowner, along with different sizes and thickness of tarps, fasteners,  Invested in a solar still with a rocket stove last year.
Good to see what others have staged without getting into some drama discussing it.

London808

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
I'm good #opsec

I've actually been doing talks for a few groups explains why the red cross kit is pointless and what they should add to get by in a real hurricane.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »
got  this ?
  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :wave:
I actually do have quite a bit of first aid and other medical supplies.  In reality, most likely first aid supplies will not be needed in a TS or hurricane.  My wife has a lot of family on Kauai and none needed first aid supplies during Iniki, but they did need propane, generators, gas and tarps.  Still good to have them on hand.

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
If any of you want to rotate out some of your older ammo, pls let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
If any of you want to rotate out some of your older ammo, pls let me know.

My oldest ammo is less than 4 years old.   I did find some real old 22 rimfire a few months ago.  I don't know how old it was but the price on the box said 79 cents.  46 out of 50 fired, 4 were duds.  Thought that was pretty good for old rimfire ammo.

RSN172

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
I'm good #opsec

I've actually been doing talks for a few groups explains why the red cross kit is pointless and what they should add to get by in a real hurricane.
Would you be kind enough to give some suggestions as what we should have? 

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 08:07:14 PM »
My oldest ammo is less than 4 years old.   I did find some real old 22 rimfire a few months ago.  I don't know how old it was but the price on the box said 79 cents.  46 out of 50 fired, 4 were duds.  Thought that was pretty good for old rimfire ammo.
I was mostly kidding. :)

I have ammo older than that, but not by much. My dad has some ammo that has Honsport price labels. I don't have a .41 Mag though. Haha.

I tend to buy here and there to keep a decent stash, but I also shoot through them gradually.

Sorry, back on hurricane stuff. I have the basics. Food and water I try to buy and rotate, similar to ammo. Lots of camping/survival gear as well.

I recall that there was a hurricane prep list thread not that long ago.

omnigun

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
Got months worth of freeze dried food and cans.  I'm prepared for any hurricane unless its some category 5 super giant and knocks down my house, which has been hurricane "proofed".

rklapp

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
I have two grown sons and they consume everything including the emergency rations. The youngest would take the MREs to school for lunch.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Rocky

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 06:44:10 AM »
I was mostly kidding. :)

I have ammo older than that, but not by much. My dad has some ammo that has Honsport price labels. I don't have a .41 Mag though. Haha.

I tend to buy here and there to keep a decent stash, but I also shoot through them gradually.

Sorry, back on hurricane stuff. I have the basics. Food and water I try to buy and rotate, similar to ammo. Lots of camping/survival gear as well.

I recall that there was a hurricane prep list thread not that long ago.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=12053.40

The Katrina link is SUPER informational for prepping way beyond food, shelter and water
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0007.html

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
Well, I tell you what dude, me saying I want to buy 2 cases of soup and some TP, without blabbering about my current food preps over the net, is like having 5K of .223 or 9mm and you want to buy another 100-200 rds.  Do I need the extra ammo, I no tink so.  But if the situation arises I will buy it unless there's panic traffic or lines.  If no can, I still don't lose.   Living a lifetime on this island, most of the canes or TS come in August or September, although Fico came in July and Iwa in November, so buying gas/storing/treating it now is something I will wait till July or unless I use up the 2 gal. earlier. 
Waiting till the warning to buy bulk ice at a nearby Texaco is because ice in my coolers only last 5 days max.  and will be in a different form if that warning comes in August or September.  I don't own no freezer boxes.
But you have everything you need  now, well good for you.  You da bes'

Gee whynow, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
Maybe you ought to add some playdo, coloring books and a puppy to your preps.   :crazy:

I was not "blabbering about my your current food preps, just making a point that you haven't really made any and where you would be when going with your current plan.
I'v'e been a "prepper" before the word prepper,  over 40 yrs.
I was trying to assist you.

And besides, who the fu@k buys ice as a prepping supply.   :rofl: :rofl:

Please see

The Katrina link is SUPER informational for prepping way beyond food, shelter and water

Good luck.

p.s.
If you only have 5K of .223 or 9mm, yes you do "need the extra ammo,"  :crazy:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

whynow?

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »
Gee whynow, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
Maybe you ought to add some playdo, coloring books and a puppy to your preps.   :crazy:

I was not "blabbering about my your current food preps, just making a point that you haven't really made any and where you would be when going with your current plan.
I'v'e been a "prepper" before the word prepper,  over 40 yrs.
I was trying to assist you.

And besides, who the fu@k buys ice as a prepping supply.   :rofl: :rofl:

Please see

Good luck.

p.s.
If you only have 5K of .223 or 9mm, yes you do "need the extra ammo,"  :crazy:
ASS why YOU DA BESS, dude.   :sleeping: