Annealers (Read 11953 times)

ren

Annealers
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
Anyone have one or making one?
I've been following this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/DIY-Annealing-Machine/42-434088/
Just bought a couple parts: a motors, controller and a hub. Will post pics and descriptions later as I progress
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:19:10 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

wirecounter

Re: Annealers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »
I purchased a Giraud Cartridge Case Annealer a couple of years ago.  Best one out there IMHO.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bushido

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:35 AM »
Anyone have one or making one?
Just bought a couple parts: a motors, controller and a hub. Will post pics and descriptions later as I progress
I'd be interested in hearing about your build and results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhed

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »

ren

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
The price for this one is not bad..
http://www.annealeez.com/dbprod/annealeezannealer.asp

I was tempted to for awhile - until the build-a-bug bit me.
Now I have about $60 in parts - just waiting for them to arrive and the build begins.
Deeds Not Words

Rhed

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
I was tempted to for awhile - until the build-a-bug bit me.
Now I have about $60 in parts - just waiting for them to arrive and the build begins.

Ah yes.. diy. Always fun and educational. Nice.. :thumbsup:

tim808

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:32:42 PM »
Interesting!  I'll be following this too

ren

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »
parts came in
the tin pan will be where the brass sits and spins in the flame - need to cut it
the motor is one of 2 along with hubs
and a simple motor controller
not pictured is a simple 1.5amp 12 volt power supply I had found in a parts bin
waitng for a second motor and a proximity sensor for the brass case feed part of the annealer
Deeds Not Words

ren

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
Cut the cake pan and mounted motor (cake pan was found in Walmart's decorative cake section - you'd want a straight walled pan)
Wired it to motor controller
Found an old power supply 12 volts DC at 1 amp
made the hub for the case feeder and attached the adaptor for the motor
finding and drilling perfect centered holes was the hardest part.
Next couple days I look to finishing it
And also looking for Tempilaq
Deeds Not Words

ren

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 03:08:39 PM »
almost there. frustratin part was getting the cases to feed reliably from the feeder to the annealing pan
The solution was to make the panel more upright to 75 degrees. Initially I had the panel mounted at a steeper angle (about 65 degrees) and the cases would feed and tip neck first into the annealing pan.
THe pic is a rough setup. I need to cut another panel for the feeder to replace the disk under the case feeder drum
I also need to get some Tempilaq
Deeds Not Words

Rhed

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
Nice  :thumbsup:

ren

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »
Its pretty much done for now. Just cleaning up details in wiring

Parts cost:
2 motors at $28
2 hubs for $14
1 motor controller $9
1 prox sensor$9
Sheet of wood $9
angle alum $18
Steel rod $4
misc parts and tools $20
propane torch $14
Total $125 and about 14 hours of messing with it.
Its not as pretty as the Annealerz but its less than half the cost  :D

Spent some time understanding the feed angle and figuring out the width of the brass chute. I find that I had to find a width that was in between case sizes or they would bridge.
Tempilaq is expensive so I read the Giraud annealer instructions and it suggested about 6 seconds exposure to flame for .223 brass.

Deeds Not Words

macsak

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
that's awesome!

Parts cost:
2 motors at $28
2 hubs for $14
1 motor controller $9
1 prox sensor$9
Sheet of wood $9
angle alum $18
Steel rod $4
misc parts and tools $20
propane torch $14

Spent some time understanding the feed angle and figuring out the width of the brass chute. I find that I had to find a width that was in between case sizes or they would bridge.
Tempilaq is expensive so I read the Giraud annealer instructions and it suggested about 6 seconds exposure to flame for .223 brass.

mrgaf

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

sethaddison

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »

Parts cost:
2 motors at $28
2 hubs for $14
1 motor controller $9
1 prox sensor$9
Sheet of wood $9
angle alum $18
Steel rod $4
misc parts and tools $20
propane torch $14

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bushido

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
Ren,

Thank you for taking the time to share. Is the desire to anneal to increase case life, to get more consistent neck tension or other?

I will probably go this route. I am a DIYer and like Spicoli, I have a mean set of tools.  :shaka: :shaka: :shaka:

ren

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
Ren,

Thank you for taking the time to share. Is the desire to anneal to increase case life, to get more consistent neck tension or other?

I will probably go this route. I am a DIYer and like Spicoli, I have a mean set of tools.  :shaka: :shaka: :shaka:

I was getting a lot of case neck splits after shooting my service rifle loads at Puuloa. These are once fired LC brass loaded with 24.1 RL15 beneath a 77 Nosler seated at mag length. I had a RCBS X Die and now I just use a Lee sizer.
I was more curious in building - knowing that I still can with my limited set of tools. I have no drill press or access to a machine shop. If you have access to a shop or better tools - Id suggest the Annealerz design. Just 2 counter rotating drums.
We'll see if I still have neck splits

I finished annealing about 50 cases and resized them. I noticed that there is less force required to FL size them.
Some people say they can do the same amount in about the same time as this type of annealer but that requires a little more focus on each case.
It was fun. :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

Heavies

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »
Polish a few sacrificial cases and anneal them till the neck turns bluish purpleish, the necks should stay shiny.  If the brass ever gets dull it's too soft and over annealed.

ren

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
after annealing, I found the cases easier to resize but I chrono'd the loads and they were about 100 fps slower than my reloads that weren't case annealed.
My load is 24.1 RL15 topped with a 77 Nosler and Rem 7 1/2 primer. I usually get about 2700 fps out of my service rifle upper.
I'll try crimping them as the neck tension likely changed
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
after annealing, I found the cases easier to resize but I chrono'd the loads and they were about 100 fps slower than my reloads that weren't case annealed.
My load is 24.1 RL15 topped with a 77 Nosler and Rem 7 1/2 primer. I usually get about 2700 fps out of my service rifle upper.
I'll try crimping them as the neck tension likely changed

Has your neck splitting issues been resolved?