How are you preparing/prepared for Corona? (Read 32170 times)

changemyoil66

How are you preparing/prepared for Corona?
« on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »
The only thing I did was pick up some N95 mask from Lowe's (sold out now) and order a few more days of food from Mountain House from Amazon.

Other than that, we got about 1 month of food, but can stretch it if need to ration.  Water is g2g, cause water should still work if everyone is forced to stay indoors.  Not like a hurricane.  But I do have lots of stored water.

Got lots of canned goods already.

Need to pick up more cat food cause I ain't sharing my expensive Mountain House with them.

Things I've noticed with different freeze dried brands.

1) Wise gave some people the runs
2) Auckland is cheaper, but cause mainly carbs.  Not much protein.  More rices, pastas, etc...MH has been stew, eggs, chicken, etc...
3) Most brands are high in sodium, probably cause the assumption is you're outdoors and sweating a lot or SHTF and no matter.  Not good to eat every meal just because.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: How are you preparing/prepared for Corona?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
The only thing I did was pick up some N95 mask from Lowe's (sold out now) and order a few more days of food from Mountain House from Amazon.

Other than that, we got about 1 month of food, but can stretch it if need to ration.  Water is g2g, cause water should still work if everyone is forced to stay indoors.  Not like a hurricane.  But I do have lots of stored water.

Need to pick up more cat food cause I ain't sharing my expensive Mountain House with them.

2) Auckland is cheaper, but cause mainly carbs.  Not much protein.  More rices, pastas, etc...MH has been stew, eggs, chicken, etc...
3) Most brands are high in sodium, probably cause the assumption is you're outdoors and sweating a lot or SHTF and no matter.  Not good to eat every meal just because.

If everyone is staying home, who's running the water pumping stations and treatment plant?

Ever hear of Murphy?  That'll be the moment the water main near your house breaks and nobody showed up for work at the water main repair office.   :shake:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »
limes, lots of limes

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:45:09 PM »

Ever hear of Murphy?  That'll be the moment the water main near your house breaks and nobody showed up for work at the water main repair office.   :shake:

Works even better, free water for everyone.  No need pay.  Just go outside with bucket and g2g.  Can even take bath in it too.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »
limes, lots of limes
That was gonna be my response. . .

But seriously, nothing in particular.  I may postpone or cancel a work trip to Japan currently scheduled for end of March.  The team that I am traveling with are assuming (or more like optimistically hoping) that things in Japan will have settled down or will be controlled better by then with the Olympics right around the corner.  Personally, I think things will only get worse. 

About my only prep is to continue to practice common sense, including hygiene.  Don't plan on stocking up on anything or doing anything drastic. 

macsak

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
That was gonna be my response. . .

But seriously, nothing in particular.  I may postpone or cancel a work trip to Japan currently scheduled for end of March.  The team that I am traveling with are assuming (or more like optimistically hoping) that things in Japan will have settled down or will be controlled better by then with the Olympics right around the corner.  Personally, I think things will only get worse. 

About my only prep is to continue to practice common sense, including hygiene.  Don't plan on stocking up on anything or doing anything drastic.

heads

ren

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »

N95 masks won't help
You can eat the cats
Deeds Not Words

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:27:29 AM »
How am I preparing for Corona? I’m buying it buy the case and buying their stock.  :rofl:

I’m not doing anything except limit my exposure to others. In other words I am moving shortly. So I will have to travel. But after that I have a duty to try and do whatever I can to not bring any illness home to my wife. She is so weak right now she may not even survive the flu. Any travel I am able to do on the mainland will be by car rather than plane. There was a time when I was flying everyday for work. And I was constantly sick.

I won’t stop going out and do things. But I will stay away from planes, buses and any situation where a lot of people are crammed into a small place and breathing in others breath continuously. I know this won’t stop me from getting sick. But it will help to limit my exposure.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »
Not doing anything.  I already have a 6 week supply of food if there is a pandemic and ordered to stay home.
We have catchment water and no close neighbors.  Also have a 6 week supply of toilet paper and paper towels.
I am retired so I don't go to work.  If there is an outbreak in Hawaii I will stock up on dog food and chicken feed.
I have 8 hens which supply me all the eggs I need.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 08:16:30 AM »
I stole a lot of limes from my neighbor's tree and will refrain from hiring Chinese prostitutes.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:55 AM »
How am I preparing for Corona? I’m buying it buy the case and buying their stock.  :rofl:

I’m not doing anything except limit my exposure to others. In other words I am moving shortly. So I will have to travel. But after that I have a duty to try and do whatever I can to not bring any illness home to my wife. She is so weak right now she may not even survive the flu. Any travel I am able to do on the mainland will be by car rather than plane. There was a time when I was flying everyday for work. And I was constantly sick.

I won’t stop going out and do things. But I will stay away from planes, buses and any situation where a lot of people are crammed into a small place and breathing in others breath continuously. I know this won’t stop me from getting sick. But it will help to limit my exposure.
I don't drink Coronas much anymore, but I did enjoy them from time to time.   ;D

Right now, I'm more concerned about travel and if I did, would that affect those around me.  While I don't care for young or elderly anymore, I have friends that do.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 09:05:49 AM »
Maintain good hygiene practices.

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 09:26:35 AM »
I don't drink Coronas much anymore, but I did enjoy them from time to time.   ;D

Right now, I'm more concerned about travel and if I did, would that affect those around me.  While I don't care for young or elderly anymore, I have friends that do.
=========
I drank a lot of corona at Hussongs Cantina in Ensenada.

That's something I will regret for the rest of my life. :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »

=========
I drank a lot of corona at Hussongs Cantina in Ensenada.

That's something I will regret for the rest of my life. :rofl:

You will regret because of how many Coronas you drank?  Or because of margaritas and senioritas?   :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »
Looks like our leadership is cancelling travel to Japan and Korea "for the time being", so no work trip to Japan.  Can't say I'm disappointed though. 

tillamook

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
At home I just I checked the expiration dates on freeze dried food. 

At work we had our first trial run.  We had a patient who had a fever who had been on the mainland with other people who were from China.  But they were not sick and they had left china before the travel ban.   We discussed it with department of health and they were actually not incompetent (which had been my experience with every other state government agency).  We had testing ready to go if needed.   But the patient was better by the time he got back from the mainland.   It was a good dry run for handling the patients. The best thing is that the patient was informed enough to call before just showing up. 

The problem with Big Island is we wont have capacity for lots of in-hospital patients especially for ICU care and we wont have the capacity for lifeflights to honolulu if there is a big outbreak.  But hopefully we are smarter than the Chinese and wont all panic and rush to the hospital for cold symptoms were everyone got exposed.   If that happens I suspect we will have to open an emergency hospital in the abandoned coast guard base near us.  Even though it is abandoned, the government still pays (we pay, that is) for new roofs and windows every few years.   

Should be fun but hopefully it will just be boring and nothing happens. 

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »

You will regret because of how many Coronas you drank?  Or because of margaritas and senioritas?   :rofl:
It was waking up in a seedy motel with a bunch of Mexican boys  :rofl: :shake: :shake:
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
It was waking up in a seedy motel with a bunch of Mexican boys  :rofl: :shake: :shake:

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

GlockNewb

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
limes, lots of limes

Or rum, nothing like a good gil of grog to sail out the pandemic :)
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

macsak

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »

heads