Flying with firearms (Hawaiian) (Read 5472 times)

OldFaithful

Flying with firearms (Hawaiian)
« on: May 04, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
Hey all,

For those of you with recent experiences flying with Hawaiian Airlines I had a question.

Is it okay to put more than one firearm into the same case, specifically a rifle and pistol?  Hawaiian's website makes no mention of it, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer yet.  It seems some other airlines require 1 case per gun...which is silly imo.

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/legal/domestic-contract-of-carriage/rule-18

https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/677/~/firearms-and-ammunition

stangzilla

Re: Flying with firearms (Hawaiian)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
I put a handgun in its own case into a rifle case

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:37:51 PM »
I did it last summer.  Rifle (actually lower and two uppers) and pistol in the same case.

I did have my ammo in a locked container in a separate bag.  I believe I have a thread on that somewhere where I got to the airport around the same time as two others who were travelling to the BI for the same class and we all had slightly different experiences and directions for the ammo.  I typically have printouts of both the TSA and specific airline policies when I fly.  I've come across gate agents wanting to make up things so many times, and the printouts have helped. 

Wchiro

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:34 PM »
It should be ok but best to call Hawaiian to be sure.  On another note I flew Delta and I had 2 guns (one shotgun and one rifle and two boxes of ammo) in one case with no problems.

OldFaithful

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  The customer service line wasn't too helpful, they just read what I already had on the website.  However I did email too just in case.  Seems this should be good to go based on drck1000s post too.  Garand and glock in one case.

Kawika808

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
You should have no issues traveling with multiple firearms secured within the same case. 

When traveling with firearms, TSAs Only concern is that the firearm is declared, unloaded, and properly packed (in a locked hard sided case that prevents easy access to the firearm).  This should be standard across every airport and airline as a minimum requirement

With that being said each airline has the discretion to make their own rules which is why we may run into inconsistencies (Improperly trained airport employees also contribute to inconsistencies). 

Hawaiian airlines does not have any issues with multiple firearms packed within the same case as long as they are declared, unloaded and properly secured.

Hope this helps

nahp01

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 04:49:21 PM »
Yes, ok to put pistol and rifle in same case, as long as there’s a lock for each hole. Only other requirement is not being able to breach any part of the case with fingers or other wise. Cue that’s what she said  :rofl: :rofl:

Just tell the counter agent you’re checking in a firearm and they’ll give you the orange card to fill out, put that inside the case, and good to go.

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
Another thing I remember from the last time I flew Hawaiian with firearms was I found a webpage where is said to call CS (or something else) ahead of time to let them know I was traveling with firearms. So I called the number it said to and the person I got didn’t seem to know anything about needing to call ahead.  I asked the agent when I checked in and she wasn’t aware of the need to call ahead. So maybe it’s an old page or was never implemented.

sa594

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
I print out the HA and TSA regs regarding traveling with firearms and bring that with me just in case. Check in with an actual agent ( I don't call in advance) and let them know I'm declaring firearms, no problems with multiple firearms in 1 case.

dafrtknocker

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 06:43:38 PM »
I flew Hawaiian in December, had 3 pistols and 1 box of ammo in one case.

tim808

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 08:27:06 PM »
Sorry for hijack

Can a case with “integrated” or “built in” locks be used?

I just picked up a used skb case and it has built in locks and comes with keys.  If it is a no go, I guess I could add a couple of small hasps and throw on padlocks

OldFaithful

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »
Thanks everyone.

mauiboi9

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »
Another thing I remember from the last time I flew Hawaiian with firearms was I found a webpage where is said to call CS (or something else) ahead of time to let them know I was traveling with firearms. So I called the number it said to and the person I got didn’t seem to know anything about needing to call ahead.  I asked the agent when I checked in and she wasn’t aware of the need to call ahead. So maybe it’s an old page or was never implemented.

There is no need to call ahead of time. assuming policy is same since covid started if they implemented something new. Just declare to the ticket agent you have a firearm and they will walk you through the process. Orange tag is stating that the firearm is unloaded. No registration is needed. From there you will be taken to the TSA over sized baggage section to get the case swabbed. Once it clears but orange tag in and lock case. You keep keys and there you go. Also it should be tagged with a a321 tag which should mean that your case will be walked in instead of thrown on to baggage belt when you arrive at your destination. bags with ammo should also be done in same manner. Make sure you have a lock for every hole that accepts one also. Its case by case and each station can be different which should be a thing but it is.
Im a recoil junkie

mauiboi9

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 09:40:13 PM »
Also for the amount of firearms its according to the discretion of the airlines on their contract of carriage. I know when we had a Beretta rep fly in to do demos for shotguns he was limited on the amount of shotguns he could bring.
Im a recoil junkie

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »
There is no need to call ahead of time. assuming policy is same since covid started if they implemented something new. Just declare to the ticket agent you have a firearm and they will walk you through the process. Orange tag is stating that the firearm is unloaded. No registration is needed. From there you will be taken to the TSA over sized baggage section to get the case swabbed. Once it clears but orange tag in and lock case. You keep keys and there you go. Also it should be tagged with a a321 tag which should mean that your case will be walked in instead of thrown on to baggage belt when you arrive at your destination. bags with ammo should also be done in same manner. Make sure you have a lock for every hole that accepts one also. Its case by case and each station can be different which should be a thing but it is.
I posted as something I remember, not as something I was cautioning as needed. I just remembered that for some reason.

It’s still there though.

https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/677/~/firearms-and-ammunition

I have flown with firearms on United, Delta and Alaska. Alaska is slightly different from the others. So I was just verifying stuff for Hawaiian since that was the first time flying with firearms with them. Overall, their gate agents seemed pretty friendly. More than United and Delta.

zippz

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
I regularly fly on Hawaiian with 4 guns...rifle, shotgun, and couple pistols.  No problems.  Most of the times they don't check anything.  Sometimes I'll get the new person that goes by the book and checks everything.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

HeliosRX8

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 02:40:14 PM »
What kind of locks do you folks use? Does it have to be TSA locks?

RSN172

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »
Do not use TSA locks on the gun case.  Only you should have the key to open it. Do not use combination locks either.

HeliosRX8

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 03:09:02 PM »
Thank you, I’ll be flying for the first time with a firearm soon. Also does anyone use the factory pistol case? The one that came with has two lock holes, presumably for flying with, but I was thinking a pelican vault case would be better size (harder to lose).

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
Thank you, I’ll be flying for the first time with a firearm soon. Also does anyone use the factory pistol case? The one that came with has two lock holes, presumably for flying with, but I was thinking a pelican vault case would be better size (harder to lose).

Which brand?  All factory cases are not the same.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall