Deedy Trial - Injustice? (Read 236055 times)

hvybarrels

Re: Deedy Trial - Injustice?
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
 :stopjack:

The Deedy confrontation looks like the same thing. Some dude walking up to a group of guys and telling them what to do. If he walks the message is pretty clear. You want to kill someone? Go up and try to pick a fight with them and shoot 'em in self defense. Doesn't matter if you're drunk and off-duty or a wannabe cop on creeper patrol. If there's no one around it makes it even easier because you can always say they started it after the fact.

www.vice.com/en_ca/read/why-did-the-fbi-kill-an-unarmed-friend-of-tamerlan-tsarnev

It's encouraging a whole new generation of Gestapo tactics based on self-defense. People are serving life sentences for shoplifting, but for some reason leaving a trail of bodies behind allows murderers to walk free.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Q

>:D
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:45:05 PM by Q »

pj_benn

« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
Lol you nuts q. No forget deedy planted a knife and had his 'witnesses' claim elderts threatened him with that knife

TeamMidori

« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »
Whaaat? R u serious? I didn't hear that. Must have missed it
Damn.
Lol you nuts q. No forget deedy planted a knife and had his 'witnesses' claim elderts threatened him with that knife

Q

« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:54:12 PM by Q »

kia_killer

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Now you can have it.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »
Then I suggest you should pull your head out of your ass and read the 911 transcript again.
For those interested in the complete 911 transcript and not just what the liberal media edit and released to the public.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/326700-full-transcript-zimmerman.html

To each person his own opinion but its important to get as much info as possible before drawing a guilty or not guilty conclusion from what the magical color box in the living room tells you. Martin was not the innocent kid the media made him out to be. Is it sad that someone lost their life? Yes. Did Zimmerman deserve to go to prison for life? No one but Zimmerman and Martin know what really went down. But we cant condemn a man with "what ifs", from the evidence and  complete transcript  the jury made the logical choice. The Deedy case IMO is less clear with the possibilities of him being intoxicated or not, and the video without audio is also hard to draw a conclusion from. Is it wrong to go around instigating and firing in self defense? I think so, but as the saying goes "It takes two to tango."

hvybarrels

« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:36 PM »
that doesn't change the fact that the situation could easily have been deescalated by both parties, but more so by Elderts. It takes a bigger man to attempt to calm the situation down or simply leave. Instead, he chose rather to puff up his chest and play bad ass, which ended up escalating the situation and resulting in his death.

I don't agree. Elderts had fists. Mr. Deeds was carrying a gun. That makes every fight he gets into a gun fight. When someone is ready to deploy lethal force they should be held to a higher standard. If the immediate issue is not important enough to kill or die for, then don't push it. You call 911 when someone is pissing on your garden gnome, but you don't call S&W unless they are kicking down your door.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Q

« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:54:22 PM by Q »

Kingkeoni

« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2013, 01:55:34 AM »
Q, don't get too worked up by hvybarrels.

In his time on this forum he has established.

A) He's a troll.
B) He has disdain for law enforcement, military and authority.
C) He has never served his country.
D) He has never been employed as a LEO under any circumstance.
E) He is a bleeding heart liberal.

He purposely tries to push people to react to his off the wall ASSumptions and misstatements.
The reality though is that no one knows him. He never shows his face at any functions, I don't even think he owns a firearm.
He's simply a pimple on an ass that won't go away.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

robtmc

« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
Q, don't get too worked up by hvybarrels.

In his time on this forum he has established.

A) He's a troll.
B) He has disdain for law enforcement, military and authority.
C) He has never served his country.
D) He has never been employed as a LEO under any circumstance.
E) He is a bleeding heart liberal.

He purposely tries to push people to react to his off the wall ASSumptions and misstatements.
The reality though is that no one knows him. He never shows his face at any functions, I don't even think he owns a firearm.
He's simply a pimple on an ass that won't go away.

Some of his better quotes I remember:

"Right wing is inherently racist"

"Florida is a backwards racist-ass state run by a bunch of corrupt neo-nazi politicos and half of the cops pigs are actively involved in the KKK. "

Looking back, seems he has sanitized some of his posts.............

HUCKLEBUCK

« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »

Lets not forget the gems:

"People are serving life sentences for shoplifting, but for some reason leaving a trail of bodies behind allows murderers to walk free" or the intentional "Mr. Deeds" movie reference.

After the first response to this genius I stopped cause I realized he was not only a troll, but a
DOOOOOCCHE A BAAHHAAAAAAGUH!!!
If you pay attention how he pieces together his words you'll see it's absolutely clear that English is not his native tongue either, so he may not even be located in Hawaii or the USA.
Ignore him - if he is a he - and he'll get bored and go away.

Q

« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:54:33 PM by Q »

Jl808

I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

GZire

« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
I disagree.  With Deedy claiming self defense, he has already done the prosecutor's job by admitting that he has killed somebody.

The question is, "was he justified in his use of deadly force?" and will the jury buy it.  That is the case that Deedy's defense attorney needs to make.  If someone picks a fight with someone, gets beat up and gets scared for his life, he is not justified in the use of deadly force, because in that case, he would be the bad guy. In Deedy's case, the video doesn't seem to support that he had no other options regarding shooting Elderts.............
Deedy admitting to shooting/killing Elderts, there was already enough evidence/eye witnesses to establish that. That is not an issue. 

With what you are referring to here is what's known as being "contributary" to the situation. In the case of Hawaii there is no "stand your ground" law so there is no fall back on that.  In Hawaii the "contrubutary" issue is Deedy not just immediately backing off.  So I do understand your point, but I will again offer up that Deedy is a Federal officer and as such he is (possibly) going to be subject to a different set of rules than a normal citizen.  We are allowed (encouraged) as normal citizens to leave, whereas a LEO may not have such a luxury.  Leaving could get these guys into more trouble than staying to address a situation.

See HRS 703-304(5) below which is the contributary section you are referring to above.

..............It seems his only other card is the LEO card. But even that seems kinda iffy. The other question is: "was Deedy acting in the way a LEO would act in that situation?"

I agree that there seems to be nothing good that will come out of this for CCW's case.  In this instance, the only thing that could come out of this is that the LEO guy is in the wrong. Would a CCW'd Elderts have made this outcome better?...............
HRS 703-304 covers where deadly force may/may not be used.  You will notice that even if an arrest is unlawful Elderts would not be legally allowed to employ deadly force against Deedy if as acting as a LEO (and he identified himself as such).

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0703/HRS_0703-0304.htm

(1)  Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 703-308, the use of force upon or toward another person is justifiable when the actor believes that such force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself against the use of unlawful force by the other person on the present occasion.

(2)  The use of deadly force is justifiable under this section if the actor believes that deadly force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, rape, or forcible sodomy.

(3)  Except as otherwise provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, a person employing protective force may estimate the necessity thereof under the circumstances as he believes them to be when the force is used without retreating, surrendering possession, doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do, or abstaining from any lawful action.

(4)  The use of force is not justifiable under this section:

(a)   To resist an arrest which the actor knows is being made by a law enforcement officer, although the arrest is unlawful; or

.........Firearms and alcohol really does not mix.

I didn't watch the trial today but bringing a racism discussion into this is kinda sad to hear.  I don't think bringing the racism thing into this will bring about justice / a fair trial for Deedy but will only muddy the discussion, make this into a circus, bring out the prejudices of people and further ethnic/racial tensions.

At the very least, I hope that everyone can stay mature and objective about this and learn from the mistakes that people made that night.

I am curious to hear what Deedy's defense will say.
I understand your point about alcohol and firearms not mixing, however it is not a realistic situation.

There are a lot of times where someone may be partaking in an alcoholic beverage and it does not affect their ability to reason or their motor skills.  This is why there is a BAC threshold for driving a vehicle, so a 0 tolerance with alcohol and firearms IMHO is not a realistic argument.  I agree it's something to strive for, but there will always be a time where there is a justification to operate a firearm when having an alcoholic beverage.

GZire

« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
Q.....two things:
1) is it against forum rules to use obscenities when they are not directed towards a user?  I mean everybody writes "f'ing haole" and its ok; but in a context, if someone writes "fucking haole", that's offensive?  I'm politely asking seriously; I'm not being a wise guy here.

Secondly, in a similar vein, if someone is just expressing themselves with obscenities but not towards anyone - just to convey emotion - is that a violation of forum rules?  Again, I ask cause I feel that if someone is not being abusive - if the language is either a quote or a tool to convey emotion - then isn't it protected forum speech?
:shaka:

This isn't a forum of a public entity (such as HPD). 

If 2A doesn't want certain talk on his forum, he can ask anyone to leave.  If they don't like it tough doo doo, you get banned.

GZire

« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
There is NO PROOF Zim escalated the situation.  Just as there is no proof as to who attacked whom first.

Since the state can't prove any of that (and by extension, neither can you), you should stop using assumptions and untruths to support your side of the argument.

If there was evidence Zim started the fight, then self-defense would have been thrown out as a strategy.  You can't start an altercation and then plea self-defense.

Just my opinion, of course ...

Well spoken, concise, logical..............we have no use for you here!!!

GZire

« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »
I don't agree. Elderts had fists. Mr. Deeds was carrying a gun. That makes every fight he gets into a gun fight. When someone is ready to deploy lethal force they should be held to a higher standard. If the immediate issue is not important enough to kill or die for, then don't push it. You call 911 when someone is pissing on your garden gnome, but you don't call S&W unless they are kicking down your door.

I think you need to understand that fists are enough.  Ned Nakoa.  Either a couple of punches and a kick to the head, or a single punch depending on who you believe.  In any case a guy trying to help died in 2009 and not one "weapon" was used other than fists.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=10268601

Heavies

« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
No matter how big you are, how strong you are, how well you are trained someone out there will be better than you.... or luckier.  I would not  take that chance. Once being on that shit end of the stick, and im am NOT big, strong, or that well versed in hand to hand, so I would not let that happen to me again.  I was lucky once, maybe not so lucky next time.  Anything can happen, and you might end up dead.

HUCKLEBUCK

« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
Of course, I understand. I was just wondering of it is generally acceptable to use profanity if it is a quote or to express emotion - neither of which is abusive language; I think that is the case.

This isn't a forum of a public entity (such as HPD). 

If 2A doesn't want certain talk on his forum, he can ask anyone to leave.  If they don't like it tough doo doo, you get banned.

aieahound

« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
Police, witness testify on Day 5 of Deedy trial:

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/police-witness-testify-on-day-5-of-deedy-trial/-/8905354/20991868/-/tfqivqz/-/index.html?absolute=true

I know your folks issue with hvybarrels, but in this case he sort of has a point ( if you weed through everything he's said) . at this point, looks like Deedy picked a fight.
It does appear he told Elderts something like " you wanna get shot ? " or something like "I'll shoot you. "
Wouldn't you first tell the guy "you're gonna be arrested" or "i"ll arrest you "

Of course info is very piecemeal at this point.

I don't care if Deedy planted an AA-12 on Elderts; that doesn't change the fact that the situation could easily have been deescalated by both parties, but more so by Elderts. It takes a bigger man to attempt to calm the situation down or simply leave. Instead, he chose rather to puff up his chest and play bad ass, which ended up escalating the situation and resulting in his death.

to say Eldertts should have been the bigger man is absurd in my opinion. The bigger man should have been the college educated, well-trained, firearm carrying special agent. To say the Moke should have deescalated the situation is a stretch. 
Until Deedy approaches Elderts, it looks like the situation was already deescalated. This is consistent with the testimony from skinny jeans hipster dude.

Again, piecemeal. Can't wait for the rest of the trial and the defense to be presented.

And hell no, I'm not a troll. bought and sold firearms to and from members of this forum and attended 2 of the last 3 functions.  :D  ( No one's accused me but I thought I'd throw that in )

Welcome back Moosed ! Good to have you !  :shaka:

And to everyone, Zimmerman has his own thread.