Scope swap opinions...... (Read 2010 times)

mrgaf

Scope swap opinions......
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
Ok trying to make up my mind if I should swap scopes on two rifles....
One rifle is a Browning X-Bolt Hunter short action .223. Is has a Vortex Viper 6.5-24x50. The other is a Ruger Predator 243 and it has a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42. Been thinking of putting the 4-16 on the 223 and the 6.5-24 on the 243.
What are your thoughts....... BTW I don’t hunt anymore. I just kill targets BUT if I live long snuff I just might go to the mainland and pop some whistle pigs with the 243.... >:D
Thanks, :shaka:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:04:01 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

drck1000

Re: Scope swap opinions......
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »
I say go for it.  It will ensure you go out and shoot to zero.   ;D

I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 on my Rem 700 .308, so I would think both would be fine for each rifle.  That said, I am thinking the .243 has a longer range coverage than the .223.  Dunno, just my thinking. 

BUT, I guess it also depends on which rifle is your favorite.  Maybe best scope on best rifle?   8)

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
I have two trains of thought:

1.  Best scope on best rifle.  This allows you to take full advantage of the rifle's accuracy without hindering it by placing a less accurate scope on it.

2.  Best scope on less accurate rifle.  This allows you to compensate for a less accurate rifle  and maybe make it better suited for more difficult shots.

#1 makes more sense to me.  If my best rifle is capable of accurate shots, then I should not interfere with that by putting a scope on it that can't match that level of performance.  It's like putting the cheapest lens you can buy on a $5,000 camera body.  You'll never achieve what the camera is capable of until you splurge for an equally capable lens.

#2 is a bad choice.  If you really need a more accurate rifle, the scope won't fix that.  Better to sell the rifle and buy something better.

To me, the choice of scopes is based on the needs of the shooter, not the rifle.  You can put a $10K scope on a Ruger 10/22, but it's still going to shoot like a 10/22.  The scope, though, will make the shooter better able to line up the shot.

Things to consider.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 04:11:32 PM »
Great points.... I actually like both with the Browning being slightly more accurate @ 100, .5 moa than the  Ruger, .6-.7 moa. My thoughts being that the 243 can reach out much farther than the 243 with 90gr “heads” than the 223 with 55gr “heads” and with the 24x and 50mm objective might be a better combo with the 243 (might even go for yotes  incidental to the whistle pig hunt, dunno).... ???
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
Great points.... I actually like both with the Browning being slightly more accurate @ 100, .5 moa than the  Ruger, .6-.7 moa. My thoughts being that the 243 can reach out much farther than the 243 with 90gr “heads” than the 223 with 55gr “heads” and with the 24x and 50mm objective might be a better combo with the 243 (might even go for yotes  incidental to the whistle pig hunt, dunno).... ???

I didn't look up the specs on the scopes.  Do either of them have special features designed for a specific caliber ammo?  I have some with Bullet Drop Compensation (BDC) scales that are for .22 and .223 depending on the scope.  So, if I zero at 50 yds, the scale shows me where to hold the elevation based on other distances.  It would come in handy on other than KHSC ranges.  Not much use with a 25-100 yd range.   :(
-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 06:06:15 PM »
My daughter would say don’t ever change scopes if your on that x.

It takes too many rounds and too much range time to truly zero that puppy.

:D

I used to change scopes way too often.
Often with no need.

mrgaf

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 06:26:12 PM »
I didn't look up the specs on the scopes.  Do either of them have special features designed for a specific caliber ammo?  I have some with Bullet Drop Compensation (BDC) scales that are for .22 and .223 depending on the scope.  So, if I zero at 50 yds, the scale shows me where to hold the elevation based on other distances.  It would come in handy on other than KHSC ranges.  Not much use with a 25-100 yd range.   :(

The 24x has a dead hold BDC and from what I can see in the manual it’s not caliber specific. The 16x has a V-Plex. :shaka:

mrgaf

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »

Often with no need.

Hmmmm ya got a point. They are both spot on at 100 but if I do change I can have fun getting them back on the “X” but I’m leaning towards leaving well enough alone. New lower rings for the X Bolt are about $30 and about $32 for weaver Grand Slam for the Ruger....hmmmmmmm  ;)

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
The 24x has a dead hold BDC and from what I can see in the manual it’s not caliber specific. The 16x has a V-Plex. :shaka:

That's good.  Just thought you might have purchased the scopes to use specifically on each rifle based on scope design.  If neither is "tied" to a specific rifle, then the option to swap is still open..

You're on your own!   :geekdanc:   :wave:
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »

That's good.  Just thought you might have purchased the scopes to use specifically on each rifle based on scope design.  If neither is "tied" to a specific rifle, then the option to swap is still open..

You're on your own!   :geekdanc:   :wave:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well still marinating on it but got some great advice.....

jc2721

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »
It takes a lot to set up a scope properly--lapping the rings, leveling the crosshairs, adjusting eye relief, etc.  X2 if you're swapping (although rings may already be lapped).  Different rifles, so you may have minor blems where the rings were previously located.  Scopes could be damaged while removing, installing, etc.  Plus, a fair amount of ammo for sighting in, etc.

If those were my rifles and everything was working okay as is, I would leave it alone.  Take the time and money you would have spent and shoot more.

just my .02

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 10:53:00 AM »

Often with no need.
You should take OF or Inspector to the range with you. They can give you feedback on your “hits”.  ;D

mrgaf

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 06:13:47 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. After reading everything over again, I’ve decided to leave things be for now. My plans are to eventually sell my Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 and buy another Viper 6.5-20x50. Maybe I can convince the old lady to get me one for Christmas!  :thumbsup: :D :shaka:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:34:05 PM by mrgaf »

aieahound

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
Good call MrGaf.
Hopefully Mrs Claus takes care of you.

You should take OF or Inspector to the range with you. They can give you feedback on your “hits”.  ;D

I would need Rocky there too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:46:42 PM by aieahound »

mrgaf

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »
Well changed course a little on the scope swap....
Took a Bushnell XLT off my Ruger American ranch rifle, then put the diamondback from the predator on the ranch. Perfect fit and didn’t have to take the rings off the Diamondback.. The old lady said I could get the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with rings for the Predator. Placed the order for them today. The rings are Vortex Pro Series 30mm. Me happy! :D :shaka: