Pistol Caliber Carbines - Discuss (Read 11027 times)

Inspector

Re: Pistol Caliber Carbines - Discuss
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 07:04:13 AM »
One of the guys uses that Magpul insert thing for PCC matches. It seems to work well and it isn’t expensive.
I had an older 9mm upper conversion from CMMG. I tried 3 different magwell conversion blocks before I found one that worked reliably. And it was quite expensive. It was the Colt magazine conversion. The problem I had were with the Colt magazines. I bought good ones but when the second from last round was fired the last round would come out of the magazine before the bolt came back. The bolt would hold open like it was the last round and there was a loose round in it. It was annoying but didn’t jam. I gave up on having a 9mm PCC as I just wanted something like an SBR in 9mm but obviously I can’t have one here.

Fast forward a bit and I bought a CMMG upper in 300 Blackout. That upper has worked flawlessly. My lower is another story. When I adjusted my trigger a little too light and when it got a little dirt in it after about 40 rounds it would go full auto.  :rofl:  I finally had to back off the adjustment.

I have a lower looking for an upper. I tried the 9mm conversion I mentioned above but I just was not impressed with it. I was not also impressed with the 9mm cartridge in a 16” barrel carbine. But now with the Banshee upper conversion with those ARC magazines I think I know what I want now. And since I am moving to a free state an SBR and a can looks like are in my future. The day I move I am going to apply for my tax stamp. My nephew wants me to go with him to the tactical PCC class he goes to. It’s at an indoor range so has to be a PCC. I was thinking a dedicated PCC instead of the AR conversion since I don’t like those magwell conversions. This certainly makes things more to my liking.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 09:15:02 AM »
To me, the only reason to own 1 is if you're going to use it in competition shooting.  Other than that, most are over priced.

Might as well buy a SP5 (HK MP5) with a 16 inch barrel.  Same same.

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
I had an older 9mm upper conversion from CMMG. I tried 3 different magwell conversion blocks before I found one that worked reliably. And it was quite expensive. It was the Colt magazine conversion. The problem I had were with the Colt magazines. I bought good ones but when the second from last round was fired the last round would come out of the magazine before the bolt came back. The bolt would hold open like it was the last round and there was a loose round in it. It was annoying but didn’t jam. I gave up on having a 9mm PCC as I just wanted something like an SBR in 9mm but obviously I can’t have one here.

Fast forward a bit and I bought a CMMG upper in 300 Blackout. That upper has worked flawlessly. My lower is another story. When I adjusted my trigger a little too light and when it got a little dirt in it after about 40 rounds it would go full auto.  :rofl:  I finally had to back off the adjustment.

I have a lower looking for an upper. I tried the 9mm conversion I mentioned above but I just was not impressed with it. I was not also impressed with the 9mm cartridge in a 16” barrel carbine. But now with the Banshee upper conversion with those ARC magazines I think I know what I want now. And since I am moving to a free state an SBR and a can looks like are in my future. The day I move I am going to apply for my tax stamp. My nephew wants me to go with him to the tactical PCC class he goes to. It’s at an indoor range so has to be a PCC. I was thinking a dedicated PCC instead of the AR conversion since I don’t like those magwell conversions. This certainly makes things more to my liking.
A suppressed SBR would be AWESOME! But alas, not for me. At least any time soon. 😩

9 mm AR conversions seem to be either finicky or take a bunch of time and effort to troubleshoot and/or tune. I’ve been seeing them more and more in carbine training sessions. See some run pretty well, but see lots with issues and a range of issues. Feeding, ejecting, etc. Not my guns, so don’t know most of the details, but mag quality seems to be a significant factor. Also some issues with trigger compatibility.  That’s why I am leaning toward the MPX.

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
To me, the only reason to own 1 is if you're going to use it in competition shooting.  Other than that, most are over priced.

You should expand your horizons a bit...

GlockNewb

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »

I’ve been middling about the CMMG upper/Endomags for a while, weighing pros ( fewer range restrictions, 100% AR controls) vs. cons (cost of setup). Cost of ammo isn’t a factor since the per-round difference is negligible for the number of rounds I shoot. Koko Head allowing PCCs definitely swung me in the “buy” direction.

I saw the SP5 on InRangeTV. Tailhook was ok, but if I can’t go full Under Siege, I won’t go at all :P
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

ren

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »
Pistol Cute Carbines...pew pew pew
I like the low recoil. Like some Nerf guns
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
You should expand your horizons a bit...
Like non HK, Kriss it is then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WTF?Shane

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »

Was it Hahn mag block? I had this. I used Metalform mags and it worked great. I borrowed someone's ASC mag (orange follower) and the BCG wouldn't strip rounds.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:42 PM »
Also, if you wanted something different, there's the Kalishnikov USA KR-9.

Inspector

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »
Was it Hahn mag block? I had this. I used Metalform mags and it worked great. I borrowed someone's ASC mag (orange follower) and the BCG wouldn't strip rounds.
Yes, it was a Hahn Mag Block. It is the only one that worked well. I bought Metalform Mags, also some from Brownells. They both did the same thing.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
Pistol Cute Carbines...pew pew pew
I like the low recoil. Like some Nerf guns
More like "poof poof poof"

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »
Also, if you wanted something different, there's the Kalishnikov USA KR-9.
A folding stock SBR version would be awesome. 

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/guns/kr-9-sbr/

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
A folding stock SBR version would be awesome. 

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/guns/kr-9-sbr/

Why settle for a folding stock when the whole gun can fold?

stangzilla

stangzilla

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 09:02:15 AM »

WTF?Shane

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
In preparation for the mag ban, I bought some EndoMags so I can try out my 9mm AR upper again. I also picked up a FM 7.8oz buffer to hopefully slow down the cycling and tame the recoil.

drck1000

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2020, 08:34:12 PM »
In preparation for the mag ban, I bought some EndoMags so I can try out my 9mm AR upper again. I also picked up a FM 7.8oz buffer to hopefully slow down the cycling and tame the recoil.
I’m debating between AR9 and Sig MPX. Handled the Scorpion and don’t care for it.

blastoff747

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2020, 12:24:32 AM »
I’m debating between AR9 and Sig MPX. Handled the Scorpion and don’t care for it.

If mag prices are an issue, you can get AR9 ASC colt mags for <$20.  MPX mags are around $60.