Looking to start reloading (Read 7387 times)

Isaac

Looking to start reloading
« on: February 20, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
Could anyone suggest/recommend some reading material and manuals related to reloading. Really interested in getting into reloading my own ammo.  :shaka:

drck1000

Re: Looking to start reloading
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
I got started recently. Lots of more experienced folks will be by shortly to advise more. One that helped me was pick a reloading manual and read the basics. I thought I knew much of if, but was good to read. I now have three, but two of them are for the specific bullets that I narrowed things down to.

Also helpful to share what calibers and what you’re looking for, or type of shooting.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »
Speer or lyman book are the old standards.
I suggest starting with the caliber you like to shoot the most.
Pistol is usually a lot easier to start with.
What calibers?
What, Me Worry?

jc2721

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »
Avoid data from Speer #8--some of the loads listed were way over-pressure.  Later manuals are ok.

Load data isn't the only thing to get out of the manuals--headspacing, signs of pressure, how to adjust dies, bullet seating, etc. are all important things to learn and review often.

OldMose

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »
My interest is more cast bullets so:
castboolits.gunloads.com

Will also buy out of print books from amazon sellers.  Couple of my latest:
Gun Digest 1977 ed -  for article on 30-30 squib loads.
Handloaders Digest 1994-  for article on  milsurp cast loads using  16 gr. IMR 2400 powder and 10 gr Unique.

Rhed

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
Yes get a manual first. But, see what you wanna reload. Rifle, pistol, caliber. Weight of bullets. What kind of powders being use for specific bullet weight and primers. Though, at this present time and probably going to next year, need to work with what you can get your hands on as far as components to reload. So, normally most will get all the reloading tools first before components. I say, start shopping or looking around for components first. Cause like otc ammo, reloading components are very hard to find on shelves right now. Even online.. :shaka:

justin1098

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 04:48:52 PM »
primers

aletheuo137

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
I've load black powder 50 cal, 44 cal. Reload shotgun 12 gauge. Have yet to start loading for pistol then rifle. Cost of equipment upfront is probably the biggest hurdle to get over. Only other factor would be time to do it. Loading manuals, and asking advice on the forum is a plus. Wealth of knowledge here!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 04:38:29 AM »

Projectiles and powder
Lyman manual
Hodgdon has a reloading reference online
YouTube from a knowledgable source

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 09:25:01 AM »

Projectiles and powder
Lyman manual
Hodgdon has a reloading reference online
YouTube from a knowledgable source
Lyman is what I started with. Good reading, at least for me. Powder burn rates and other stuff to watch for.

YT has some great info. I follow a couple folks in Patreon too. I just gotta watch out for the goobers with camera and internet.

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
This main page also has videos for the basic process of reloading pistol, rifle, and shotgun

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »
Thanks all, just purchased a Lyman 50th manual. Watched alot of videos on the press I purchased.

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »
Thanks all, just purchased a Lyman 50th manual. Watched alot of videos on the press I purchased.
If you have a friend who reloads, go to his house and watch the process.
I have an open invitation to anyone interested in learning.
Quite a few people have gotten started by dropping by my house.
What, Me Worry?

macsak

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 08:50:32 PM »

what press did you buy?

Rhed

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »

Good one on the manual. Though like I said in previous post, After studying your manual and more research. I’d start shopping for reloading components first before reloading tools or equipment. If you already know what calibers your gonna reload. #1 on the list.. PRIMERS.. then powders, bullets, and cases. Without any of these, reloading tools and equipment is useless. We’re going through the biggest shortage off all time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:04:52 PM by Rhed »

Isaac

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 05:58:23 AM »
what press did you buy?
Starting of with the lee breech lock

stangzilla

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 07:20:27 AM »
what calibers will you be reloading?

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 08:59:43 AM »
Good one on the manual. Though like I said in previous post, After studying your manual and more research. I’d start shopping for reloading components first before reloading tools or equipment. If you already know what calibers your gonna reload. #1 on the list.. PRIMERS.. then powders, bullets, and cases. Without any of these, reloading tools and equipment is useless. We’re going through the biggest shortage off all time.
That's good advice, and generally how I went about getting reloading components and equipment.  However, it did help a lot where my buddy already had the basic equipment needed.  I am slowly supplementing his setup with equipment. 

Depending on caliber, I've noticed that the shortages have started impacting boolits and brass, particularly for the common calibers. When I started buying/ordering stuff in later 2020, I primers and powder were already either low or out, but boolits and brass were med to low stock, but I was able to find what I wanted in stock lots of places.  Then early Jan, boolits and brass for .308 were out everywhere.  Could find some boolits, but many times was 25-50% more and usually limits on how much you could order.  I seems like brass and bullets, at least for .308 is coming back in regular intervals. 

Now I'm noticing dies, presses, and other reloading equipment either out of stock or long lead.  I hoping that is because lots of folks getting into reloading. 

Isaac

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 12:23:24 PM »
what calibers will you be reloading?
I will be reloading 7mm08 Remington,  9mm Remington, 223 Remington, maybe some .38, .308, 45acp when I get comfortable.

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »
I will be reloading 7mm08 Remington,  9mm Remington, 223 Remington, maybe some .38, .308, 45acp when I get comfortable.
What is 9mm remington?
What, Me Worry?