What Did You Do in Your Reloading Room Today? (Read 49549 times)

Inspector

Re: What Did You Do in Your Reloading Room Today?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »
Oh ok...I get it.
So far you have blamed the:
1. Iron sights
2. The rifle itself
3. Your old eyeballs

And you haven't even shot the thing yet.

While you're at it, let's blame:
The sun
The wind
The primer
Brass
Bullet
Powder
primer
The water
Ànd the taco you ate for dinner.
Sure. Whatever works. I still love you OF!  :love:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
cleaning up and found some Montana Gold bullets i bought thru everglades ammo a while back.  forgot i had these bc they are in a box marked Everglades ammo MG (for Montana Gold)
loaded some with AA#7

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
Continuing to "prep", which is mostly acquiring components.  Primers was main on the list, but think I am "ok" on that for now.  Meaning that primers are no longer the limiting factor on how many rounds I can load.  This is mostly for 9 mm though.  I'm pretty good for rifle components, and that is thanks to many on 2a. 

Inspector

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 03:52:51 PM »
I finally finished my 100 6.5 Carcano rounds that’s I have never loaded before. They came out quite nice looking actually.

Now back to 223/5.56 loading...

stangzilla

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 04:24:05 PM »
more cleaning / sorting through components.  found more large pistol primers.  so i plan to do some 45 acp with Montana Gold JHP bc i got a case of 1900 i need to use. or some Keith style 44mag boolits when those arrive, USPS running late as usual
i have some old H110 powder and some old LPP i got on a couple of trades i should test out

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 02:43:17 PM »
Berger .308 boolits should be arriving tomorrow.  Some 115 gr 9 came in the other week as well, so I can start prepping brass for those.

stangzilla

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 07:15:32 AM »
I forgot to ask how you like the Accurate powders? Never tried any. I used mostly DuPont/Hercules powders until they became Alliant for handgun. I still use them but I use Hodgdon powders more now. And I used IMR powders for rifle calibers mostly and now I use Hodgdon more. I still like the old favs from Alliant and IMR but certain Hodgdon powders just seems to fill my needs better.

I have this weird issue that most of my reloading manuals are old. So they only list IMR, Hercules/Dupont and Accurate powders. Before Hodgdon and others became mainstream. Thank goodness for the Internet.

i like the Accurate powders.  i've been using #9 for a while. it burns clean, i notice my gun isn't that dirty after shooting.  its accurate.  and can be loaded to nearly comparable velocity of H110.  it has a lower flash than H110. i use #9 for 44mag and 357mag. 
I just started to use #7.  i notice it often overcharges in my Hornady auto charge dispenser.  it is a fine powder, so that may not work so well in the Hornady auto charge dispenser.  but the #9 works well with the Hornady unit
i have to load more with #7 and #5 to really get a feel for them
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:24:21 AM by stangzilla »

stangzilla

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 07:21:43 AM »
got these Keith style 44 projectiles in the mail yesterday from Stateline Bullets.  240 grain SWC.  they shipped out fast from Stateline, but USPS took longer than advertised, which seems the norm nowadays.  got here in less than 2 weeks with 3 day priority mail
first time i'll be loading these bullets.  looks like the regular LSWC, but the head part looks a little larger on the Keith style.  price was really good from Stateline.  i 'll probably order again when they get in stock.  right now they are sold out on just about everything
nothing says 44 magnum quite like Elmer Keith   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Inspector

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 11:09:25 AM »
I took apart another 100 of my father’s old 9mm reloads and dumped the powder (I think it is Herco) and reloaded them with Bullseye. I have examined most of the cases and I think a lot of them are new Winchester brass. They sure are super shiny on the inside. Even once fired cases are not this shiny. They are in the dry tumbler getting cleaned up.

I finished up my 100 rounds of 6.5 Carcano in my dry tumbler.

I loaded 100 rounds of 7.62x25 Tokarev. They will go in the dry tumbler next.

aletheuo137

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »
Clean of rust of a Walther P38!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Inspector

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 12:22:33 AM »
Clean of rust of a Walther P38!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Nice!

Inspector

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
Took apart another 100 rounds of my father’s 9mm reloads. I keep checking primer depth and I keep finding some primers not set to the proper depth. I set all primers to the proper depth and then reloaded them.

My nephew is coming up this weekend so I can try out his new Stribog 9mm pistol. He wants to try as many different types of 9mm ammo in it so I told him I have 4 different types for him to try. Including these redone reloads.

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »
Getting ready for next round

Inspector

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
Getting ready for next round
[SNIP]
NiCE! That’s a lot of money right there!  :worship:

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »
NiCE! That’s a lot of money right there!  :worship:
You should see the rest of my stash.  Hypothetically of course. 

Inspector

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »
You should see the rest of my stash.  Hypothetically of course.
You should have seen my stash before I moved.  :(

stangzilla

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2021, 01:42:27 PM »
with certain powders in my Hornady auto charge powder dispenser, it overcharges more than i would like it to
MK machining makes an insert that makes it not overcharge so much, its $14 for 3 of them of different sizes
but i did some online researching and found that someone used a expanding nut from Home Depot.   its Everbilt expansion nut, #8-32 x 15/32 inches.  good thing is on Home depot site it gave me the aisle number and bin number so was easy to find.  didn't have to ask one of the workers that don't know shit either, so saved time by not consulting with them
we'll see how good it works
and was only 77 cents at home depot

Inspector

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 01:48:36 PM »
with certain powders in my Hornady auto charge powder dispenser, it overcharges more than i would like it to
MK machining makes an insert that makes it not overcharge so much, its $14 for 3 of them of different sizes
but i did some online researching and found that someone used a expanding nut from Home Depot.   its Everbilt expansion nut, #8-32 x 15/32 inches.  good thing is on Home depot site it gave me the aisle number and bin number so was easy to find.  didn't have to ask one of the workers that don't know shit either, so saved time by not consulting with them
I had the same problem with my RCBS Chargemaster. Heavies turned me on to a hack using a McDonalds straw cut in a certain way. And it works very well. Has been working for 7 or 8 years now. Price = $0

drck1000

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2021, 01:51:00 PM »
I have the MK Machining "over"sert.  It works very good for facilitating accurate powder trickle.  I have the occasional over, but pretty rare.  The over-sert nature of the one have does make you be more careful in getting the pan off the scale though. 

My set came with three inserts, which I assume is to account for variations in models.  Let me know if you want to try the other two inserts.  I've heard the McDonald's straw hack is just as good, but I was ordering something else from MKM, so added the insert. 

stangzilla

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2021, 01:57:56 PM »
I had the same problem with my RCBS Chargemaster. Heavies turned me on to a hack using a McDonalds straw cut in a certain way. And it works very well. Has been working for 7 or 8 years now. Price = $0

in my research i came across the mcdonalds straw mod.  if the expanding nut doesn't work, thats next on my list

I have the MK Machining "over"sert.  It works very good for facilitating accurate powder trickle.  I have the occasional over, but pretty rare.  The over-sert nature of the one have does make you be more careful in getting the pan off the scale though. 

My set came with three inserts, which I assume is to account for variations in models.  Let me know if you want to try the other two inserts.  I've heard the McDonald's straw hack is just as good, but I was ordering something else from MKM, so added the insert. 

thats probably what i was looking at the "over" cert.  i'll let you know if my modifications fail, hopefully they don't   :shaka: