How's the line at HPD? (Read 960562 times)

Teichi

Re: How's the line at HPD?
« Reply #2820 on: March 18, 2020, 02:58:23 PM »
Yikes!
I went down at 1pm and there was a lot of people waiting. Looks like over 2 hours if I chose to stay. I'll be back early in the morning next time.

jc2721

« Reply #2821 on: March 19, 2020, 09:31:19 AM »
Got there early, there were about 20 people in line.  HPD allows only 5 in the room at one time, they process applications only one person at a time at the window.  Permit pickups are processed quicker at the side window.  They tell me most of the applications are for newbs.  Figure 10 minutes per person, those guys outside are looking at a 3-4 hour wait.

I was out in 10, by then there were 5 inside and about 25 outside.

Bring a chair, gloves or sanitizer, make sure your phone is charged and your meter's full.  Bring lots of aloha, it helps.  It's nutz out there, who knows if it'll get better or worse.

Another thread says that starting Monday HPD's going to reservations only (can you say DMV?).

Eric808

« Reply #2822 on: March 19, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
I went on Tuesday.  Waited a short time for a parking space.  There was 9 in line to the door.  sign said only 7 inside.  After an hour and 15, still had 4 to the door, long line after me , had to leave to go back to work.

Heard that Maui may suspend firearm permits after tomorrow.  Has anyone heard if HPD will do the same?

Just saw the separate post about making appointments.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:38:29 AM by Eric808 »

muhv

« Reply #2823 on: April 06, 2020, 07:37:53 PM »
I've been calling HPD for 2 weeks to make an appointment. It seems like they don't even pick up the phone.

6716J

« Reply #2824 on: April 07, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
HPD congratulating themselves for slowing down the number of registrations with their new appointment and "police report" policies. What kind of public service award does one get for intentionally interfering with constitutional rights?

https://www.kitv.com/story/41975623/hawaii-loading-up-on-guns-ammo-amid-coronavirus-panic

I've been calling HPD for 2 weeks to make an appointment. It seems like they don't even pick up the phone.

You've been served. You will enjoy it. The beatings will continue until morale improves
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

ainokea8o8

« Reply #2825 on: April 07, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »

My coworker called yesterday and got through on the 2nd call. He called right after lunch. This was his first time ever calling to make an appointment.

bparages

« Reply #2826 on: May 18, 2020, 10:37:07 AM »
Why cant Honolulu follow Big Island with registering firearms at other precincts.... it'll help deal with some stress. Online appointments are up, I see next avail permit acquisition spots are in mid July.......crazy...

6716J

« Reply #2827 on: May 18, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »
Why cant Honolulu follow Big Island with registering firearms at other precincts.... it'll help deal with some stress. Online appointments are up, I see next avail permit acquisition spots are in mid July.......crazy...

Why can't Hawaii read the Constitution? Or at least do like so many other jurisdictions do and have the retailer submit the paperwork. Takes 15 minutes to do the NICS check, 30 tops in 99% of the cases. All of the firearm info is on the 4473. Hawaii can even have their own. Nevada does. Back when Clark County still had handgun registration, we went to the shop, did the BG check, waited the 3 days for a 1st handgun, then the retailer filled out the form and gave you the Blue Card and sent a copy to the Sheriffs Office. Done and easy.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

stangzilla

« Reply #2828 on: February 25, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
After a long wait to register, I go there today and their system is down so I gotta wait for their call so I can go down there just to sign. Taking off from my work is not easy.  But what can you do except be patient. Drinking a beer right now.  >:D
Cant blame them. At my work our system went down yesterday, so I understand how it goes.

fishandshoot

« Reply #2829 on: June 03, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »
After a long wait to register, I go there today and their system is down so I gotta wait for their call so I can go down there just to sign. Taking off from my work is not easy.  But what can you do except be patient. Drinking a beer right now.  >:D
Cant blame them. At my work our system went down yesterday, so I understand how it goes.

Good running into you today Stangzillla!

And just an update for anyone going register: if you arrive at 7am you will be handed an appointment paper to return at the appropriate time that same day. I was the last person in the 7am line up crew and got a “return back at 11:30am appointment paper.”

When I came back at 11:20am there was an appointment line for the people who showed up at 7am. AND then there was separate line for stand by/walk in (like when flying) line. Some people were waiting in the standby line for at least 1 hour I heard.

stangzilla

« Reply #2830 on: June 04, 2021, 07:07:56 AM »

And just an update for anyone going register: if you arrive at 7am you will be handed an appointment paper to return at the appropriate time that same day. I was the last person in the 7am line up crew and got a “return back at 11:30am appointment paper.”

When I came back at 11:20am there was an appointment line for the people who showed up at 7am. AND then there was separate line for stand by/walk in (like when flying) line. Some people were waiting in the standby line for at least 1 hour I heard.

good to see you there too!   :shaka:

drck1000

« Reply #2831 on: June 04, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »

Yikes!  Thank you for the heads up on the "new" process.  I went down for a PTA appointment this morning and was quite smooth.  Did experience a little bit of static from one guy at the window, but seems like he was just covering for another guy that was taking a break.  When the "other guy" returned, things were better.  I recognized the "other guy" and a couple of others from past trips to the windows, but not the guy that helped me at first.  Overall, not bad, but he could be reminded that he's there to do a job, whether or not he likes it. 

OctopusEater

« Reply #2832 on: August 24, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
Want to go turn in my PTA form soon. Anyone went recently? How’s the line? Would I have a better chance going Tuesday/Thursday for walk-ins or should I go MWF for standby?

Or should I wait a few more weeks before going?

Thanks.

dafrtknocker

« Reply #2833 on: August 24, 2021, 07:33:27 PM »
Had 2:30  PTA appointment on Monday, one person being helped at window, no one else in line.

aieahound

« Reply #2834 on: March 25, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
Was totally empty today !
Kuhio  Day !
I had no idea they would close or that it was Kuhio Day.
Oh well. Back on Monday I guess.

aieahound

« Reply #2835 on: March 28, 2022, 01:23:47 PM »
Was pumping today just about an hour to apply for permit. (Had to do rapback though. )
Line was 7 deep outside when I left.
Day after holiday? Guy behind me did same as me and went Friday not knowing they were closed.

aieahound

« Reply #2836 on: June 27, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
How’s the line at HPD from anyone who’s been recently ?

Nostayhome

« Reply #2837 on: June 28, 2022, 04:01:18 AM »
How’s the line at HPD from anyone who’s been recently ?

I went on the 17th around 2:30p. There were three people on the permit side. One was still filling out paperwork and the other two were at the window. I’m pretty sure the two at the window were military because they took a really long time. I was probably in there around 40min total. By the time I left there were three people in line.

inconform

« Reply #2838 on: July 13, 2022, 01:13:02 PM »
Got there around 10:45 this morning. Had to park at Fasi Muni (bring coins) as the parking under HPD was full. Straight to the window to apply and had to do rap back. In and out in about 10 minutes. Maybe had 1 guy in line when I was leaving.

AmbuBadger

« Reply #2839 on: July 20, 2022, 11:43:58 AM »
July 20, 1145, nobody here (aside from the wife, renewing her long gun).