brass catcher designs (Read 29035 times)

Dolomite

Re: brass catcher designs
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
what type of net material did they use?

what are people using to catch the handgun brass?

please post some pics....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:28:49 PM by Dolomite »

musubi

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

I'm in the process of building a pistol brass catcher now (in other words, I have a crap ton of PVC pieces lying around the apartment). I expect to finish it by next weekend, so will post a pic when done. For the net, I'm using a $7 scoop net (20" diameter) I bought from McCully Bike yesterday. Still thinking about how to keep the net propped open when set up though, probably need to find a shim or fashion a wire hoop. All together I don't expect to spend more than $20 or $25 total for it.

xer 21

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
The WGS guy showed me his set up once.......

It looked like a net setup from a ping pong table....simple and effective..

2clamps with 2 foot rods attached holding a 2 foot high net that he could unravel and clamp to the table on one side....

Only thing is that it didn't catch brass, just deflected....

I'm pretty sure you could put like a 3 foot high net on 2 foot high rods to create a pouch at the bottom....

Shoots, I might have to stop by City Mill today.......... :-\

thats basically what i do with my bent window screen.  it sags in the middle so it deflects, and would catch if my rifle didnt kick out brass so hard.

but for most ar's which are gentler on brass, i'd imagine it would catch it easily.

GZire

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »

Nothing I bend down to pick up my brass before the Brass Vulture swoops in to steal it.

wirecounter

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »

Nothing I bend down to pick up my brass before the Brass Vulture swoops in to steal it.

You must be FAST!  LOL

musubi

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
I just finished my brass catcher. Not pretty, but I expect it to do the job.
Cost was about $30 when all said & done.

Copied wirecounter's idea of using BBs to weigh down the base. Also shot insulating foam into the pipe to keep the BBs from rolling around, and to strengthen the PVC.
I used 1" PVC pipe, but in hindsight I should've used a smaller diameter - either 3/4" or even 1/2" would've worked.
Net (as mentioned earlier this week) was from McCully Bike, 20" diameter for $7.

Still have two things to address: right now I just cut notches in the vertical pipe to keep the net from moving around, but I don't have any way of raising/lowering the net height. I'll have to measure the height from the bench the next time I go to Koko Head. Also, still thinking about ways to keep the back of the net open. It should work just hanging like it is, but might throw in some kind of hinged bracket later.

Dolomite

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
sweet!!! maybe drill holes at different intervals in PVC ( part that holds the net) and insert pegs to raise the net up and down... I wonder if it can be canted to catch pistol brass....

my friend made me one with the fishing net and it works great on the rifle side. The bottom of the net sits about 6" off the bench and catches the brass perfectly. The brass from the semi auto and bolt fly perfectly into the net so it doesn't need to be propped open.

GOOD JOB!!! thanks for posting the pic!!!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:14:17 PM by Dolomite »