Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 81746 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
I got 2 slings for my AR.  1 single point that attached via clip to the end plate (Magpul).  And another that is traditional attachment by Blue Force Gear padded vickers.  This one requires attachment to the buttstock and on my QD sling point on by Gesielle handguard.

So for home defense, the single point will be used due to quickness.  But for classes that require, the BFG one.

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »
I have a Gear Sector single point, but never really used it.  It was my intent to try both, but in that time, started using the two point and got used to it.  So I see the benefits of single points?  Sure, but not really what I was looking for. 

zippz

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »
So for home defense, the single point will be used due to quickness.  But for classes that require, the BFG one.
Thats odd I thought youd do it the reverse way.  2 points are great if you have to carry stuff, jump over walls, and move but are slower to use.  Better for real life stuff.

1 point is good if you are static and are fast to use, which is good for training courses and competition.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Drakiir84

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Each of my rifles have a savvy sniper sling.  Why settle with single point or 2 point when you can have both ;-)
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Rocky

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
There are tools for everything.   ;D

I can't find it now, but it's a simpler version of what's in this video.  Basically it holds the ejector down and allows you to have two hands free for the hammer and punch. 

Brownells has a bunch of tools, but they aren't cheap.  I've never messed with the bolt.  I have gauges to check headspace, but I've never really used them.  A while back, I was told that as long as you have an upper and BCG/bolt from quality manufacturers, you should be good.  When I got my PSA upper (I would say decent quality manufacturer) and a BCG that I got from a group buy from an unknown manufacturer, but supposed to be good components, it worked out ok.  Should I have checked headspace? Probably should have to be safe.  That thought was in the back of my mind first time I shot the gun.

Glock punch tool works fine for pin removal and for lining up holes for pin reinsertion.
I just use a cloth covered pliers to squeeze extractor to bolt assembly to ease initial pin insertion.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »
Glock punch tool works fine for pin removal and for lining up holes for pin reinsertion.
I just use a cloth covered pliers to squeeze extractor to bolt assembly to ease initial pin insertion.  :thumbsup:
Never tried to remove the ejector pin.  On the bolt that I was considering checking the headspace on, I could barely get the ejector to fully depress let alone hold it down with one hand to use my other hand to try to get the pin out.  That said, maybe your ejector springs are shot.  I know the ejector that's with my AR with the round count a little more than 7,000 rounds is softer than the ones with round counts less than 1000.  I was considering changing the bolt on that gun when it got to 10,000 rounds, but if it's not malfunctioning, I might just let it do until it starts giving me problems.  Just to see what happens since that gun isn't my primary. 

Rocky

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
Never tried to remove the ejector pin.  On the bolt that I was considering checking the headspace on, I could barely get the ejector to fully depress let alone hold it down with one hand to use my other hand to try to get the pin out.  That said, maybe your ejector springs are shot.

I can remove the pin by hand and punch but need to compress to re-install

I know the ejector that's with my AR with the round count a little more than 7,000 rounds is softer than the ones with round counts less than 1000.  I was considering changing the bolt on that gun when it got to 10,000 rounds, but if it's not malfunctioning, I might just let it do until it starts giving me problems.

That's what I said about my gas rings prior to last class.  ;D    :crazy:  :(  :'(

Just to see what happens since that gun isn't my primary.     :wtf:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »

That's what I said about my gas rings prior to last class.

Not many folks shoot their guns enough to really matter, but something I try to keep an eye on.  I try to track round counts on my guns similar to a car odometer.  To get an idea of when preventative maintenance needs to be done.  But I also want other "beater" guns to test limitations.  Not necessarily torture tests, but I wouldn't mind doing so if I had the money for the ammo. 

Did you test the gas rings by the test where you put the BCG on the bolt and if the carrier slides all the way down then the gas rings are likely shot?  I've never changed the gas rings before.  They look like a PITA. 

Rocky

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
Not many folks shoot their guns enough to really matter, but something I try to keep an eye on.  I try to track round counts on my guns similar to a car odometer.  To get an idea of when preventative maintenance needs to be done.  But I also want other "beater" guns to test limitations.  Not necessarily torture tests, but I wouldn't mind doing so if I had the money for the ammo. 

Did you test the gas rings by the test where you put the BCG on the bolt and if the carrier slides all the way down then the gas rings are likely shot?  I've never changed the gas rings before.  They look like a PITA.

Gas rings wear out so they are a "regular maintenance" component,
Their cheap and easy to R & R , and yes making sure the rings separations are not aligned DOES matter.
If they are all aligned, gas will escape and weaken throwback.
We keep a set in our grips along with x-tra roll pin, firing pin, cotter pin and ejector.

I do not keep an accurate round count other than 'around blank thousand"

I found this vid which is pretty much my SOP.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:03:13 AM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
   Gas rings wear out so they are a "regular maintenance" component.
Their cheap and easy to R & R , and yes making sure the rings separations are not aligned DOES matter.
(If they are all aligned, gas will escape and weaken throwback.

I found this vid which is pretty much my SOP.

Yeah, I consider the gas rings a "regular maintenance" component.  Similar with other items like many springs.  Specifically for the BCG, the extractor spring and ejector spring.  Just haven't changed them out yet.  My older higher round count gun, I ended up selling off, so my current guns are all well below 5,000.  I do have an extra bolt and extra BCGs, but not the springs.  I've been meaning to get them since I've been shooting more lately, but just haven't done it.

I'm surprised that they guy's gas rings failed the BCG test at 3,000 rounds.  I think my highest round count AR and BCG is now close to 3,000.  I'd have to check.  I wasn't planning on doing anything until at least 5,000 rounds. 

Gas ring alignment?  Haha.  So many folks arguing about it.  I don't particularly pay attention to them, but I've heard of some OCD folks to tend to align them when cleaning their guns.   ???

Rocky

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »

Gas ring alignment?  Haha.  So many folks arguing about it.  I don't particularly pay attention to them, but I've heard of some OCD folks to tend to align them when cleaning their guns.   ???

Don't think it's OCD, just the correct way to do things.
I double check clear  which is repetitively doing the same thing so is that a sign of OCD ?  :wacko:

There's a reason there's 3 of them.
If all the gaps lined up, gas would pass through the gaps reducing pressure to push the carrier/bolt back.

Easy to find out if it matters. Just line up all three gaps, place in carrier and shoot.
If you get poor/ ejection and or lack of bolt lock back, it matters.   :geekdanc:
   Will be running the AR today to see if replacement of parts (rings and ejector) solved "dribbling" issue.  :shake: :shake: :shake:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2018, 07:16:37 AM »
   Don't think it's OCD, just the correct way to do things.
I double check clear  which is repetitively doing the same thing so is that a sign of OCD ?  :wacko:

There's a reason there's 3 of them.
If all the gaps lined up, gas would pass through the gaps reducing pressure to push the carrier/bolt back.

Easy to find out if it matters. Just line up all three gaps, place in carrier and shoot.
If you get poor/ ejection and or lack of bolt lock back, it matters.   :geekdanc:
   Will be running the AR today to see if replacement of parts (rings and ejector) solved "dribbling" issue.  :shake: :shake: :shake:
I meant folks that take the time to make sure they are aligned. Like folks who when they gamble align the stripes in their chips.

I’m with ya on the right way to do things. But line anything, there are extremes. As for checking if guns are safe, I’m one to check and recheck. For the gas rings, I never thought to check or wondered. But now that your brought it up, I might test it next time i shoot.

Anyways, hope you got your weak dribbling problem figured out.  :P

Rocky

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
I meant folks that take the time to make sure they are aligned. Like folks who when they gamble align the stripes in their chips.

Oh-Oh :oops:

I’m with ya on the right way to do things. But line anything, there are extremes. As for checking if guns are safe, I’m one to check and recheck. For the gas rings, I never thought to check or wondered. But now that your brought it up, I might test it next time i shoot.

Anyways, hope you got your weak dribbling problem figured out.  :P
    Yup, buddies said I'm getting good ejection now, but still a little early (still 1:00).  :(
The guy next to appreciated not being blasted in the face with my ejections.  :shake: :shake: :shake:

Maybe I'll try changing the ejector and ejector pin.
Would make sense that they would wear out in timely fashion with ejector.
 :shaka:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
    Yup, buddies said I'm getting good ejection now, but still a little early (still 1:00).  :(
The guy next to appreciated not being blasted in the face with my ejections.  :shake: :shake: :shake:

Maybe I'll try changing the ejector and ejector pin.
Would make sense that they would wear out in timely fashion with ejector.
 :shaka:
Early? Is the casing hitting the brass deflector?   

I used to pay close attention to ejection and my goal was to get consistent ejection in the 3-4:30 range. Would mess with buffers, springs, etc to do so. Now, as long as the gun is functioning well, I don’t pay that much attention to ejection location. I do notice the pattern for every gun and do notice changes when going from “full powered” 5.56 ammo to the lower powered stuff. I want my guns to function well on both. But I also want to keep and eye if I start noticing changes with the same ammo as a sign of wear. Hopefully replacement of smaller and inexpensive parts will get you to where you want to be.

One of my other guns had super consistent ejection to about 3 o’clock. I was pelting my buddy who was shooting on the line next to me. In some videos, could hear him swearing as he got “zapped” by my hot brass.  He got a couple blisters when the brass got caught in specific locations. Oops.

zippz

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »
I finally got this grip exerciser thingy.  I figure it'll help with grip, improve double action revolver trigger pull in both hands, and help with weapons retention in a fight.

I keep it around and do a 10 slow reps a few times a day.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:30:33 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
I finally got this grip exerciser thingy.  I figure it'll help with grip, improve double action revolver trigger pull in both hands, and help with weapons retention in a fight.

I keep it around and do a 10 slow reps a few times a day.

SNIP

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
I have a dynabee thing. Haven’t used it in a while tho.

Another old school but super effective one is an 18-24” section of broom stick, some rope and some weight. Like 10 lbs is good to start. Tie rope to middle of stick and other end to weight with about 5 feet is slack. Wind the broom stick to lift the weight and go back down. So slowly to make it more challenging. Super effective to build grip. Used to have to do that for Judo a lot.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:02:58 PM by drck1000 »

zippz

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »
I've been using the prohands for about a week and it makes a huge difference in trigger pull.  My 686 revolver trigger is about 10 or 11lbs, and it feels like it's 5lbs now and I have a lot more control too.

drck1000

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 06:53:49 AM »
Grip strength helps you with a number of things in life (  :o ) as well as in shooting, at least I've found.  For me, I never thought about grip strength with respect to trigger pull weights, but I guess it could help for the longer DA pulls.  I mostly felt the difference after a long day of shooting.  In times where I slacked off on working on grip strength, I felt way more fatigued at the end of the day and even had some cramping and hand trembling going on.  When I got back into working on grip strength, those issues mostly went away.  Yeah, if I haven't shot in a while and I shoot a match or a class with say 300-400 rounds, I'm gonna still feel it, but seems like my grip and arms are less "shot out" if I've been working on grip strength.  Which unfortunately I haven't been working on it recently. . . thanks for the reminder. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2018, 09:08:02 AM »
Thats odd I thought youd do it the reverse way.  2 points are great if you have to carry stuff, jump over walls, and move but are slower to use.  Better for real life stuff.

1 point is good if you are static and are fast to use, which is good for training courses and competition.

I don't got a 2nd QD swivel.  So attaching the sling to the buttstock means I have to wrap and unwrap all the time.  The single point has a clamp on it.  No sense buying a 2nd swivel either, I have yet to use my sling outside of my home.  Even at carbine HDF classes, no need.

Maybe if I see one for cheap at the gun show next month I'll consider it.

drck1000

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 08:58:57 AM »
Shot a handgun course over the weekend with a Glock 17 with Trijicon RMR.  This was in a handgun course level that I had taken before with this group, so I felt it was a good environment to test out the handgun with RMR set up.  That and it's ALWAYS good to work on fundamentals, especially since I haven't shot that much in the past year. 

Going in, I was wondering how I would pick up the dot on the draw as well as in between shots.  Got to experience that and came away with things I can work on with the instructors as well as things that I'd like to work on in general.  The two instructors also had differing experience on handgun with red dots, which I found helpful to have a range of perspectives. 

Some highlights:
1) Sloppiness and bad habits that I have with trigger control was apparent in the first live fire exercise (one hole drill).  Something that I am aware of and actually spend quite a bit of time doing ball and dummy drills.  This tendency seems to creep in both when I haven't shot in a while and after going through periods where I've been shooting quite a bit, but not that much on paper.  While I was happy that I was able to clean things up for the second pass at the one hole drill and subsequent drills, always humbling to see that your fundamentals could use some work.  While I was actually "ok" with the first group that I shot, the instructor noticed it.  I also think that maybe shooting with the dot allowed me to relax a bit one some of the drills where I am normally concentrating on the front sight, I think things tended to "wander".

2) I definitely noticed the "dot twitch", where the dot always seems to be moving where the front sight seems stable.  Having shot this level course before, I was trying to push myself to "aim smaller".  One target had a logo for an aim point in the middle of a target circle, but that logo also had smaller points that allowed a smaller POA.  That's where I was really noticing the dot jump.  I had noticed it before and read about it some.  Would discuss briefly with both instructors.  Not a bad thing, but something I noticed.  In some of the drills where I was pushing for more speed, I had to push "not letting the dot hover" and just pick a "good enough" and go. 

3) Picking up the dot in between shots is something I definitely noticed and something I think I can clean up with shooting more regularly.  The cadence drills certainly helped to see that and I think those will help that moving forward.  But on another drill that called for multiple shots and I was trying to push it, the instructor commented on how I didn't seem to be pushing it enough since my target was still relatively clean.  I found that I was waiting on the dot in some cases.  I should be shooting this gun flat enough that I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but definitely something I'll have to work on. 

4) Gun manipulations with the red dot is a little different.  Actually easier in one case in one method that one of the instructors recommended and I see it coming into play more with malfunction clearance.

5) There is a definite learning curve with the red dot for me.  Something I'll have to spend time on and think about if I really want to stick with it.  I think so, but I just hope to get in more range time with it in order to give it a fair shake.

Overall, it was a SUPER fun day on the range.  Always fun shooting with this group.  It was a repeat for me, so it was great to see some familiar faces that were taking the class again, which I think is always great.  I'd personally would shoot with this group on any level class that they offer as I always end the day having improved and found things that I need to improve.  It was also great to see a bunch of new faces with in shooting classes for the first time.  One was an AWESOME shooter.  I was shooting next to him all day, but in different relays.  While it's not a competition, I can honestly say that that pushed me to focus more.  I was also shooting next two a guy I had shot with in a carbine class before with this group.  He's a really good shooter too, and there was definitely some friendly competition going on.  All good fun and great to see folks putting in the time to get training and having a really good time in doing so. 

No gear changes or wants after the course, which is unusual for me.  Just need more ammo now.   ;D