The NRA Must Die (Read 8869 times)

screen

The NRA Must Die
« on: March 03, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
I know this is going to be a very controversial topic in this community, and many of you will passionately disagree with what I'm about to say. I hope that despite these disagreements,  we can keep the conversation cordial and stay friendly and supportive of each other on other matters.
That being said,  the NRA must die.
I've long since disliked the NRA. From their history of anti -LGBT comments ( https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/02/5-examples-prove-nra-hates-lgbtq-people-much-gun-control/ ), to they're complete lack of empathy and tact  ( ), I have always felt they put a bad face on the gun industry and community.
But this:
 http://variety.com/2018/politics/news/ajit-pai-nra-cpac-1202709775/
is the last straw.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the net neutrality issue, I highly encourage you to learn more from sites such as Save the Internet and Battle for the Net. It is a very serious issue that,  if passes,  could entirely destroy the internet as we know it,  and small sites like this would completely vanish from existence. I have yet to talk to a SINGLE person who had actually looked into this issue more than the blatant lies the ISPs are spreading and not know it to be an atrocity.
And after the FCC,  and specifically their chairman Ajit Pai,  pass the vote to kill net neutrality, the NRA actually has the audacity to give this man an award?
This is unacceptable, plain and simple.

Now I know that this situation is a little more complicated for us. For those of us who ate instructors,  NRA certification is a requirement in this state. I even got my pistol cert before I moved here, but I did it only because I needed a piece of paper that verified I knew what I was talking about,  not because I liked the NRA curriculum (which I don't.) So renew your certs as needed,  I know I have to renew mine next month,  but don't give them another cent otherwise.

Yes,  the NRA has protected gun rights more than any other group out there,  but that is only because they are the most known with the most money. But if we instead give our support to other groups such as 2AF, GOA, and NSSF, then they can become bigger and fight for our rights without making is look bad and supporting  asinine policies that have nothing to do with what we donate to them for.

I know it won't happen quick or easy,  but it's time to start the process. The NRA must die.
Training available at AthenaeumTraining.com

ren

Re: The NRA Must Die
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
I am the NRA.
Deeds Not Words

mrgaf

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
I know this is going to be a very controversial topic in this community, and many of you will passionately disagree with what I'm about to say. I hope that despite these disagreements,  we can keep the conversation cordial and stay friendly and supportive of each other on other matters.
That being said,  the NRA must die.
I've long since disliked the NRA. From their history of anti -LGBT comments ( https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/02/5-examples-prove-nra-hates-lgbtq-people-much-gun-control/ ), to they're complete lack of empathy and tact  ( ), I have always felt they put a bad face on the gun industry and community.
But this:
 http://variety.com/2018/politics/news/ajit-pai-nra-cpac-1202709775/
is the last straw.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the net neutrality issue, I highly encourage you to learn more from sites such as Save the Internet and Battle for the Net. It is a very serious issue that,  if passes,  could entirely destroy the internet as we know it,  and small sites like this would completely vanish from existence. I have yet to talk to a SINGLE person who had actually looked into this issue more than the blatant lies the ISPs are spreading and not know it to be an atrocity.
And after the FCC,  and specifically their chairman Ajit Pai,  pass the vote to kill net neutrality, the NRA actually has the audacity to give this man an award?
This is unacceptable, plain and simple.

Now I know that this situation is a little more complicated for us. For those of us who ate instructors,  NRA certification is a requirement in this state. I even got my pistol cert before I moved here, but I did it only because I needed a piece of paper that verified I knew what I was talking about,  not because I liked the NRA curriculum (which I don't.) So renew your certs as needed,  I know I have to renew mine next month,  but don't give them another cent otherwise.

Yes,  the NRA has protected gun rights more than any other group out there,  but that is only because they are the most known with the most money. But if we instead give our support to other groups such as 2AF, GOA, and NSSF, then they can become bigger and fight for our rights without making is look bad and supporting  asinine policies that have nothing to do with what we donate to them for.

I know it won't happen quick or easy,  but it's time to start the process. The NRA must die.

I am also the NRA, Patron member, certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Instructor as well as a certified RSO and RSO Instructor. Just sent a $500.00 donation to the NRA/ILA. NRA must die? Don’t ask me what I think you should do, troll.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
To each their own.

My take is the NRA is doing a good job overall and you can't satisfy everyone as a large organization.  They have a large membership, 5 million, that is very diverse and they have to try and meet the needs of everyone from hunters, youth groups, action shooters, instructors, self defense etc along with members from both ends of the spectrum - liberals and conservatives, antigun and progun, complacent to extreme.  Some people say NRA is too aggressive, others say it's not aggressive enough, and most probably don't care.  They're usually good at staying out of other politics and they shouldn't have gotten involved in net neutrality.  The Charlton Heston "Cold Dead Hands" was a great marketing move.  It got people involved and will be a remembered slogan for decades.  You're not going to win if you can't get people involved, and you can't get people involved without getting them excited.

Also NRA does way more than SAF and GOA to further the 2nd amendment. SAF and GOA have an advantage being small organizations where they can adapt quickly and are able to target a specific clientele.   I believe building the community is as important, or more important, than winning 2a cases and legislation.  From what I know, this is comparing the three.

1.  Judicial cases - NRA, SAF, GOA
2.  Legislative - NRA (National and State), SAF (National and minimal State), GOA (National and minimal State)
3.  Elections - NRA
4.  Firearms Training - NRA
5.  Law Enforcement Training - NRA
6.  Military Training - NRA
7.   Range Development - NRA
8.  Youth Training and Programs- NRA
9.  High School and College programs - NRA
10. Hunting and conservation - NRA
11.  Community development - NRA
12.  Competition programs - NRA
13.  Business support - NRA
14. Local club support - NRA
15. Firearm history - NRA
and so on.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 04:43:28 PM »
Well since you brought up the LGBTQ community they haven't been so nice either. They've attacked religion, faith, parental rights and private business. Their campaign went from tolerance to in-your-face policy and regulation. Don't want to bake a cake for them? They'll sue and harass you out of existence. You want to raise your kid as a heterosexual? No you can't. So much for free speech and religion.
Granted I respect the LGBTQ people but they need to respect us as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:41:34 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »
The NRA is not a biological organism.  As such, saying "it must die" implies a more emotional, visceral feeling toward the NRA as an organization than a logical opinion of its stance on issues.

You're welcome to start your own NRA-like organization, or to give all your money to another group.  But, just because YOU don't like the NRA, you want it to "die?"  That's a very Extreme Left-Wing, Liberal, Fascist attitude. 

If you think anything you "need" is a right that the government must pay for, and anything you don't like should be banned or boycotted out of existence, there's no maybe about it -- YOU ARE A LIBERAL.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 07:11:07 PM »
Bro....
Of course you are free to say whatever you want.
You are intelligent and articulate.
And you are well aware that the NRA has many supporters here in the islands.

Hawaii is a small place. We have a saying here....
"Everybody knows everybody"
This is especially true in the small firearms community.
If you want to be a respected instructor, this isn't the way to accomplish that.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
No organization is perfect. There's a bunch of stuff I don't like about the NRA as well. I think they enjoy playing both sides of the fence when it comes to politics and actually welcome the media feeding frenzy after every mass shooting because it boosts their numbers. Most importantly for an organization that is supposed to be about protecting the second amendment they sure don't seem to understand why it was written. In order for the militia to be effective is necessary for private citizens to have access to affordable recently manufactured automatic weapons. FOPA was a huge sell-out that made possible this endless back-and-forth debate on banning models, parts, and accessories that constantly keeps the PAC coffers full and professional lobbyists fat and happy. I won't give the organization a dime until Wayne LaPierre is gone.

NRA is definitely not the only game in town, and the more people support alternative organizations the more they will get the message that it's not okay to keep jerking the fear chain to make the money rain.

It would be a shame if NRA disappeared, though. I'd much prefer if they just grew up a bit.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Drakiir84

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

zippz

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »
Most importantly for an organization that is supposed to be about protecting the second amendment they sure don't seem to understand why it was written. In order for the militia to be effective is necessary for private citizens to have access to affordable recently manufactured automatic weapons.

The NRA membership contained a lot of hunters, law enforcement, military, and competitors in the past who didn't see a need for automatics for the public hence the law.  Even today the subject of automatics is very divided in the gun community.

The active users of 2ahawaii represent the extreme right of the gun rights movement and discussion on automatics is a taboo here.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
SNIP

You were kinda all over the place, but I'll just say that the NRA is far from perfect.  Yes, change doesn't happen quickly, or maybe even at all in many cases with respect to the NRA.  I have seen some changes here and there.  Like any large organization, some good and some :facepalm: worthy.  You seem to have many bones to pick with many things and I don't really follow where you're going most of the times.  That said, I'd shudder to envision what gun rights would be like without the NRA. 

The NRA membership contained a lot of hunters, law enforcement, military, and competitors in the past who didn't see a need for automatics for the public hence the law.  Even today the subject of automatics is very divided in the gun community.

The active users of 2ahawaii represent the extreme right of the gun rights movement and discussion on automatics is a taboo here.
???

Drakiir84

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »

Wait wut?  I think the vast majority of active 2A users are definitely in favor of automatic firearms.  I don't think we talk about it often because we just don't have them but conversation about full-auto is far from taboo O.o
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
Wait wut?  I think the vast majority of active 2A users are definitely in favor of automatic firearms.  I don't think we talk about it often because we just don't have them but conversation about full-auto is far from taboo O.o
I don't think full auto isn't discussed here because it's taboo.  While full auto guns aren't very high on my want list at all, in fact not really on my want list at all.  I do find them interesting and fun to shoot on the rare chance that I have the opportunity.  I agree that it's not really discussed here because I don't think that many have that much time shooting full auto (our former service members aside). 

I also think view myself as extreme in any regard. . .

zippz

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Whenever I bring up the topic is automatics here I get crickets.  When I went person to person getting testimony, a lot of people agreed with the bump stock ban.  Seemed like 25 to 50%.  Almost everyone opposed the modification ban

We are the top 1% of the gun rights movement.  Most people that own a gun don't shoot it regularly.  Most that shoot their gun regularly don't track laws, testify or get involved.

Most of the gun rights discussions and testimony writers take place here, some facebook boards, and the HRA.  The 1%.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:49:34 AM by zippz »

Drakiir84

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
I don't think full auto isn't discussed here because it's taboo.  While full auto guns aren't very high on my want list at all, in fact not really on my want list at all.  I do find them interesting and fun to shoot on the rare chance that I have the opportunity.  I agree that it's not really discussed here because I don't think that many have that much time shooting full auto (our former service members aside). 

I also think view myself as extreme in any regard. . .

My friend you haven't lived until you've you've fired a belt fed on full auto lol.  While I would probably never purchase something like a M2 Browning or M249, what I would absolutely love to own is a select fire HK MP5 and HK416 10.4" with a can.
-Jeff Cooper

zippz

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »

Id say most tactical active 2a users.  A lot of hunters, skeet and trap shooter, law enforcement, bullseye and high power competitors  are against it.  Even a lot of military shooters are against.

They make up a lot of the NRA hence the NRAs sometimes moderate position on the 2nd amendment.

Drakiir84

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »
Id say most tactical active 2a users.  A lot of hunters, skeet and trap shooter, law enforcement, bullseye and high power competitors  are against it.  Even a lot of military shooters are against.

A condition of growing up Hawaii I guess.
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »
My friend you haven't lived until you've you've fired a belt fed on full auto lol.  While I would probably never purchase something like a M2 Browning or M249, what I would absolutely love to own is a select fire HK MP5 and HK416 10.4" with a can.
I've done the MP5 and Colt SBR auto thing.  M249 (ish), I've only shot the semiauto versions. 

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 09:01:15 AM »

They make up a lot of the NRA hence the NRAs sometimes moderate position on the 2nd amendment.
Gotcha. A lot of "it doesn't impact me, so whatever" kind of Ainokea attitude. 

Rocky

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »

Can we discuss the "Fully Semi-Automatics" ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt