high capacity magazines (Read 17175 times)

mr. me 808

high capacity magazines
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
I had a question on high cap magazines, maybe somebody can help out.  Some guns don't come with a 10rd magazine option when you buy.  Is there a legal way to block high cap magazines yourself or can only an ffl can do so?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:26:38 PM by mr. me 808 »

moosed

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: high capacity magazines
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
Shhhh!  We're hunting Wabbit!
When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".

mr. me 808

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Shhhh!  We're hunting Wabbit!

Roger that, modified original post

OldFaithful

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
Need more info.  Rifle or pistol mags?  You really mean hi caps or actual standard capacity?  Buying online? 

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
If you have shipped to your house assembled hi-cap mags that can fit in a legal pistol you are commiting a misdermenor.

You can ship it to a FFL and they will have to have it blocked for you.

If you are transferring a pistol by FFL. The recieving FFL will have to block the mags before giving them to you.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

mr. me 808

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
Talking about pistol mags.  Not high cap, but standard capacity in any 2a friendly state.  Some pistols you look at don't provide a 10rd mag as an option, was just curious.  Also, hypothetically speaking, if one had a "disassembled" magazine greater than 10 rounds is there a way they could legally block it themselves so they could assemble and use those mags in Hawaii?  What is the legally acceptable way to block the magazine?  Does anyone know if you can give your mags to a shop to have them block them for you if you can't legally do it yourself?

Dirtyc

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
what if you have a 9mm carbine would a 33rd glock mag be illegal?

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »
I've seen plastic blocks glued to the follower and riveted mag bodies. 

John Perreira is a name you will come across for limiting mags:

Jhp Arms
Licensee Name: Perreira, John H
47-440 Ahuimanu Pl
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Phone: 808-239-7449
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

nathanm14fan

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
I have purchased many a magazine block from magazineblocks.com. I simply insert the block, and epoxy the floorplate shut. Easy to do and makes for a permanent fix that follows the letter of the law.

mr. me 808

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
I have purchased many a magazine block from magazineblocks.com. I simply insert the block, and epoxy the floorplate shut. Easy to do and makes for a permanent fix that follows the letter of the law.
I'll check that out, thanks!

SpeedTek

• View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »

YES but there is a fix....If you make the mag not fit the glock pistol anymore then you can use it in your carbine....

SpeedTek

• View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
Talking about pistol mags.  Not high cap, but standard capacity in any 2a friendly state.  Some pistols you look at don't provide a 10rd mag as an option, was just curious.  Also, hypothetically speaking, if one had a "disassembled" magazine greater than 10 rounds is there a way they could legally block it themselves so they could assemble and use those mags in Hawaii?  What is the legally acceptable way to block the magazine?  Does anyone know if you can give your mags to a shop to have them block them for you if you can't legally do it yourself?

You can do it yourself....The law is NOT Readily restorable.......

Paul96734

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:41:19 PM »
The recieving FFL will have to block the mags before giving them to you.

Yep, they will do that.  ;D

mnpfamily

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
Are you still able to clean mags, change springs and followers, etc. after that?  Just wondering as some of the  "standard cap" mags seeme to work better than the 10 rounders.

OldFaithful

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
They sell magazine parts/rebuild kits.  Its basically a disassembled standard capacity magazine that you can use for spare parts, spring, floor plate, follower, magazine tube.  Since its not assembled, its legal.  It would be just like disassembling a blocked magazine.  However if you assemble it without inserting a magazine block then that's illegal.  Google magazine blocks and you can find a good site to buy some to do it yourself.  If SHTF I wouldn't mind having a few disassembled ones standby

moosed

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
Are you still able to clean mags, change springs and followers, etc. after that?  Just wondering as some of the  "standard cap" mags seeme to work better than the 10 rounders.

It's always better to be safe than sorry, so don't act on this information without verification...

I ran across a case where the court determined that if you remove a part of the magazine (the floor plate) and replace it with a round limiting floor plate, you do not have to seal the magazine to make it "not capable of being readily restored to a capacity of more than ten rounds."

Simply keep the original floor plates at home and make sure you don't have other magazines with the same original floor plates with you.  As long as you don't have the parts with you to restore the magazine's >10 capacity, it is legal.

I will post that link if I find the case information again.  This mostly applies to AR-15 type mags.  Pistol mags may not offer the same types of capacity limiting devices. (???)
When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".

Funtimes

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24:28 AM »
absolutely illegal.
Check out the Hawaii Defense Foundation.
HDF on Facebook
Defender of the Accused in Arkansas Courts
Posts are not legal advice & are my own, unless said so.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 06:36:04 AM »
absolutely illegal.

Not necessarily. If the magazine is made to NOT fit in a Glock pistol. (Typically a small piece is attached to the mag and a groove is made in the rifle mag well so it becomes proprietary) then it is 100% legal to own the 33 round magazine.

The law states:      (c)  The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of use with a pistol is prohibited.

Your proprietary magazine is designed for your rifle only and is not capable of use with any pistol.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:43:38 AM by Kingkeoni »
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

GZire

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:10 AM »
^^^KK you have my interest piqued. I gave up long ago on getting a KRISS Vector because of the Glock mag issue.  I'd be interested to see how a mag could be modified to fit only the KRISS.

Jl808

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
+1. I would like to know that as well. I have the exact same question as GZire.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.