OFFICIAL 2AHawaii 1MOA all day challenge (Read 58733 times)

dirsh

OFFICIAL 2AHawaii 1MOA all day challenge
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
Who?
2ahawaii members
spread the word. if you know people who aren't on 2A but would be interested in participating, encourage them to sign up

What?
It’s a challenge to all to prove how good you really are with a rifle! Not sometimes but consistently.

Keep it simple 5 shot groups, 5 groups per target

1 MOA = 100 Yards = 1.047"
––––––––-50 Yards = 0.5235"
––––––––-25 Yards = 0.26175"

Where?
Wherever you can legally shoot at the designating distances

When?
weekly, monthly and all-time scores will be tallied

Why?
For fun, bragging rights and to help us all become better shooters

1. ONE sheet of paper, 8.5”x11” preferred and it MUST HAVE ALL 5 targets.

Meaning 1 sheet of paper with FIVE targets. NO INDIVIDUAL TARGETS. THEY WILL NOT COUNT.

2. On that 1 sheet of paper with 5 targets you shoot 5 groups of 5 shots each. (In one day)

3. Each group is measured OUTSIDE GREASE RING TO OUTSIDE GREASE RING with calipers (preferred) or tape rule in inches. Then subtract the diameter of one bullet IE if your shooting a .223 and your 5 shot group measures 1.13" you will subtract 0.224" to get a group of 0.906". If you are shooting a .22lr you will subtract 0.223", for a 308 you will subtract 0.308" (Remember- the more precise your measurement the better)

Some common measurements:
.172" - .17 HMR
.223" - .22 Short, Long, Long Rifle
.224" - .223 Remington, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet
.243" - .243 Winchester
.284" - 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Mag
.308" - .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Mag
.311" - 7.62x39 Soviet, .303 British
.338" - .338 Mag

4. NO MECHANICAL REST/SLED, NO VICE OR SIMILAR DEVICE THAT SUPPORTS THE ENITRE RIFLE, NO SHOOTING JACKETS, NO STRAPPING THE GUN INTO ANYTHING, NO LARGE REAR SANDBAG ** OR REST. SHOOTER MUST HAVE POSITIVE CONTROL OF RIFLE.

THE POINT IS TO SEE HOW GOOD YOU SHOOT, NOT HOW WELL YOU CAN MOUNT IT IN A MACHINE.

5. OK TO USE sandbag, rest, ruck, bipod, rock with a hat, sling etc. on forearm of the rifle.

**Will be OK to use a small rear sandbag (ie: sand sock or squeeze bag) or bean bag no bigger then a softball that must require constant hand pressure to maintain hold on target.

IE. Can NOT sandbag gun inplace. Shooter must maintain positive control of rifle.

6. Shooting position is up to you, sitting, standing, prone.

7. Posting: 1st picture of target with 5 groups of 5 shots each, next to them write down group size. 2nd picture with calipers (or tape rule) left in place over BEST group. 3rd picture of rifle and shooting setup (ie. Sandbag, prone and so on). Post all 3 pics and also type in the post your 5 group sizes and what the average is. IE. .99”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5” add them up, equals 6.99” and divide by five. So 6.99/5 = 1.398”

8. In each division you can only have your name up once per gun for all-time scores. Meaning that if you shoot the Iron Sight 22lr with your 10/22 and average a 1.65” group and lets say place 4th. If you use that same gun and do worse, even if you would place better then someone else it will not count for your group. Best group counts.

Now if you then shoot Iron Sight 22lr with your M&P 15-22 and shoot better, say 1.25” average groups and place 2nd. Both that score and the 10/22 score will remain. Different guns will be allowed for different group rankings within a division. Best group counts.

9. Remember, this is NOT a Bullseye challenge, it's a Groups challenge.

10. Any and all ammo is fine I don't care if you use Factory loads or your super secret Hand Load that Moses gave you.

Service Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A1 etc style weapons)
Iron sights at 50 yards

Non-Magnified Optic at 50 yards

SPR Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A etc WITH magnified optics) **See rule 5
100 yards

Bolt Division with magnified optics (any precision gun) ** See rule 5
100 yards

And for cheapness a 22lr Division

Any 22lr rifle with iron sights at 25 yards

Any 22lr rifle with non-magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 100 yards

Misc Small Bore Division
Any .17HMR/.17HM2/.17Fireball/.22WMR/.22 Hornet etc etc etc with any sighting system (Irons/nonmagnified/magnified) at 100 yards **See Rule 5

Unlimited Division
Catch-all class for anyone wishing to use a lead-sled, large sandbag set-up, or other assisting device prohibited from the other classes. 50yd minimum for non magnified optic rifles and 100 yd minimum for magnified optics of all calibers. Does not qualify you for MOA shooter list, but will be recognized as an MOA rifle owner.

Click to download target

Target Black Diamonds http://pdfcast.org/pdf/1-moa-all-day-target

Small BFL Target https://www.box.com/ar151moa

Small BFL Target https://www.box.com/s/wt0l3nuvgbxx0sr6hkfa

MOA formula

How many MOA equal 2 inches at 200 yards?
(inches / yards) x 100 = MOA
(2 inches / 200 yards) x 100 = 1 MOA

*challenge borrowed from arfcom*
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

moosed

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: OFFICIAL 2AHawaii 1MOA all day challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
Good Job, Dirch!    :thumbsup:

(1)  Any difference when using the targets you posted, such as distance?

(2)  Will there be a separate thread per week to keep submitted targets grouped by deadline?

Thanks!!   :geekdanc:
When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".

aieahound

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
Thanks Dirsch !

With the wind at Kokohead, can we have a 50 yard division for small bore ( 17's, etc. ) ?

dirsh

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Good Job, Dirch!    :thumbsup:

(1)  Any difference when using the targets you posted, such as distance?

(2)  Will there be a separate thread per week to keep submitted targets grouped by deadline?

Thanks!!   :geekdanc:

1. We're going for groups so the Targets don't really matter. If we keep the same targets at least the results will be uniform.

2. Yes sir
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

dirsh

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »
Thanks Dirsch !

With the wind at Kokohead, can we have a 50 yard division for small bore ( 17's, etc. ) ?

Sure
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Tom_G

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Ok, how the fuck do you post an image?????
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

dirsh

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »
Ok, how the fuck do you post an image?????

You can upload it as an attachment on the forum or to photobucket.com

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Tom_G

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
Here's my first attempt!  Since I'm obviously not approaching MOA on this, I didn't bother measuring.  But look at #1 and #4... doesn't it look like I had two different loads going?  Weird.

Remington m1903a4, in a Boyds stock w/10x scope, sandbags & benchrest, Prykal M2 ball ammo

dirsh

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
good try Tom!

keep the pics coming guys. I think we'll post the entries here in the beginning until we get enough people participating then I'll make separate threads for each time period
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »
Can't see your pics Tom. I need to get out.  Maybe this weekend.  Try to work up a new plinking load for 100 yard practice. :)

Heavies

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
Got out early this morning.  Rain, Rain, Rain.... and Wind, Wind, Wind....  New load....  I wanted to work a cheaper load to practice with.  Not bad considering these loads where never tested in my rifle before and never worked on it yet.   Couldn't get the target to print out right so I just used my own target.  Also, used "On Target" software to measure targets.  Rain really f*cked up the paper so the 'grease ring' is hard to see.  You can download the software and use it to measure targets for free at ontargetcalc.com .  It is really easy and accurate to use.   

Rifle : Barnard single shot three lug action, CG two stage trigger.
Stock : Robertson Composites with Barnard aluminum bed block
Barrel : Bartlein 5r .308 95 Palma chamber
Bipod : MWerks
Rear Bag : KHSC special
Scope : NightForce 12-42X56MM NXS NP2DD reticle

Load=
New Winchester Brass.  Sorted necks to within .001" neck wall variance, reamed flash holes to a consistent diameter, and reamed primer pockets to a consistent depth.
Primer.  PMC Large Rifle
Bullet. 168 gain Nosler Custom Comp
Powder.  Varget 43 grains  Thrown on RCBS Chargemaster
OAL.  2.800" Avg per Avg bullet length. 

Best group : 0.470 MOA
Worst group : 1.247 MOA
Avg MOA : 0.9716 MOA

Load 2 =
New Winchester Brass.  Sorted necks to within .001" neck wall variance, reamed flash holes to a consistent diameter, and reamed primer pockets to a consistent depth.
Primer.  PMC Large Rifle
Bullet. 168 gain Nosler Custom Comp
Powder.  Varget 43.5 grains  Thrown on RCBS Chargemaster
OAL.  2.800" Avg per Avg bullet length. 

Best group : 0.592 MOA
Worst group : 0.988 MOA
Avg MOA : 0.799 MOA

Load #2 looks to be the more consistent, probably mess with the seating depth would bring the group in tighter still.  Even though the rain and the wind made for crappy shooting, I though it was good to try out these conditions.  I got soaked to the bone, all my equipment got soaked, rifle got soaked.  Oh well, it was time for a detail strip and cleaning anyway..   haha...  It is good to practice in all conditions to see where you're at. ;D

Lessons learned:
1. A proper rear bag makes a difference when shooting small groups.
2. Even though there is a roof overhead,  it makes no difference when the rain comes in side ways.
3. DON'T SHOOT WITH WATER ON THE LENS OF THE SCOPE.  It moves the POI in strange directions.  Hahah  :thumbsup:

ren

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
I plan to shoot open sights on my CLE 22 upper but those targets are too small - even the HP bulls are small through my sights. Distance is my normal practice at 50 yards. 5 bulls cant fit on one sheet.
Deeds Not Words

Tom_G

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:59:39 AM »
5 bulls cant fit on one sheet.

Yeah, if shooting iron sights, this target printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper is invisible.  I think if you were to print it on larger paper, like tabloid or larger, then you'd be able to see it at 50 yards.  The deal is (at least for this competition) that you have to have five targets on one sheet of paper.  Make them as big as you need to for visibility! 

Heavies

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »
So what's the scoop?  Any others shooters?  :)  I like shoot this again with a garand and .22lr one of these days when I not working.   :P

Heavies

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
I plan to shoot open sights on my CLE 22 upper but those targets are too small - even the HP bulls are small through my sights. Distance is my normal practice at 50 yards. 5 bulls cant fit on one sheet.

Yeah, if shooting iron sights, this target printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper is invisible.  I think if you were to print it on larger paper, like tabloid or larger, then you'd be able to see it at 50 yards.  The deal is (at least for this competition) that you have to have five targets on one sheet of paper.  Make them as big as you need to for visibility! 

What if you just use one aim point that you can see at 50y, then use sight adjustment to shoot five seperate groups on one peice of paper?

I have a target for this somewhere. I'll up load it if I can find it.

ren

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »
Shot today. Windy, prone.
CLE .22 upper open sights, .040 rear, standard GI front sight. Aguila standard vel ammo from CMP
10 shots per bull.

OK, where's everyone else from the original thread stating their <1MOA all day guns and shooting skills?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:38:42 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

Tom_G

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Second attempt, same rifle.  Used national match ammo this time, which only goes to prove the shortcoming is in the rifleman, not the rifle. Note target #4, though... I had given up, and just shot that one quickly.  Go fig!

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
Second attempt, same rifle.  Used national match ammo this time, which only goes to prove the shortcoming is in the rifleman, not the rifle. Note target #4, though... I had given up, and just shot that one quickly.  Go fig!

Was this from 50 yds, Tom?  i may have missed it, but didn't see the distance in the earlier entry.

:thumbsup:
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

ren

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »

What were you shooting?
Last NM offering I heard of was M852.
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/04/history-us-national-match-ammunition.html

I attempted to shoot my SDM clone with 77 Noslers on top of 24.0 RL 15 - I had similar results as you did and didn't bother to post. I used a TA31 ACOG and the donut covered up the boltface logo of the AR15.com target. I was getting really off-call shots. I need to work with shooting an ACOG.
Deeds Not Words