Purchasing ammunition online and mail to Hawaii. (Read 22035 times)

johnjdf2

Purchasing ammunition online and mail to Hawaii.
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:16:39 PM »
I have read the Hawaii Gun Laws and it has nothing regarding the ban from purchasing ammunition form an online site . Is it illegal to order the ammunition and have it mailed to you. Do you need an FFL to purchase? What is the ruling on this issue?

dustoff003

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »
There is nothing illegal about purchasing ammo online and shipping it to yourself, good luck getting it here. Also it's doubtful you could get it here without it costing more or just as much as you buying it from a local LGS or other forum member selling. USPS doesn't mail live ammunition so that leaves you FedEx, UPS and DHL or another carrier if they will ship it here. I was looking into this recently and FedEx won't ship ammo to HI http://www.fedex.com/us/hazardous-materials/current-requirements/ nor will UPS http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/packaging/guidelines/ammunition.html You'd probably have to send all your ammo to a west coast freight forwarder and then have it shipped here by ship, I'd guess even to make that cost effective you would need to bring in a lot of ammo.

I'd like to here from others on this matter.

Is there anything in particular that your looking for? Do you have Twitter and Facebook?

Addition: good luck finding an online retailer that will ship to here.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:39:37 PM by dustoff003 »

Tom_G

Re: Purchasing ammunition online and mail to Hawaii.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:39:42 PM »
It's not so hard as dustoff paints it.  Plenty of online retailers are willing to ship ammo to Hawaii.  Most of them charge exorbitant rates to do so, though.  There are two ways I've found to do it in a cost-effective manner.
1.  Order ammo from the CMP.
2.  Have a friend who owns a gun store, and is willing to let you have your ammo shipped to his freight forwarder.

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Q

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:09:03 PM by Q »

dustoff003

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:10:45 PM »

It's not so hard as dustoff paints it.  Plenty of online retailers are willing to ship ammo to Hawaii.  Most of them charge exorbitant rates to do so, though.  There are two ways I've found to do it in a cost-effective manner.
1.  Order ammo from the CMP.
2.  Have a friend who owns a gun store, and is willing to let you have your ammo shipped to his freight forwarder.

I was looking into it and that's what I came along on so far nearly everywhere I've looked I struck out.

Could you please list the online retailers that will ship ammo to HI? Which ones have you ordered from?

1) I have looked at the CMP I have yet to order from them yet. It's all rifle ammo there wonder what the OP is looking for.

2) Not everybody can be on that kinda level with the owner(s) of a gun shop, right? Care to share your hook up?

suka

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »
I was looking into it and that's what I came along on so far nearly everywhere I've looked I struck out.

Could you please list the online retailers that will ship ammo to HI? Which ones have you ordered from?

1) I have looked at the CMP I have yet to order from them yet. It's all rifle ammo there wonder what the OP is looking for.

2) Not everybody can be on that kinda level with the owner(s) of a gun shop, right? Care to share your hook up?
Powder Valley

Yes, and Hazmat fees makes it cost prohibitive to ship ammunition and other items to Hawaii.

Q

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:53 AM »

Talk to Henry or Joe at WGS; they might be able to help you feed the beast!  :geekdanc:

I know no one is bringing in our surplus for some reason, but it is available for purchase online.

Teichi

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:58:38 AM »
CMP has implemented new shipping charges for Hawaii. The days of cheap ammo are over.

johnjdf2

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:28 AM »
The site I was looking at is  ableammo.com. I can imagine the cost for shipping and hazmat!

dustoff003

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »

The site I was looking at is  ableammo.com. I can imagine the cost for shipping and hazmat!

I just looked at their site and they say on the shipping page that "Ammunition can be shipped UPS Ground only." http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/shipping.php

If you have Twitter and Facebook follow the local shops that tweet/post because they will tweet daily or one day sales. Follow OGC, SEC, X-Ring, DCT on Twitter and YG on FB.

I am instituting a new visitation policy with my family members from the mainland they each have to bring me 11 lbs of ammo when they come.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:54:42 AM by dustoff003 »

aieahound

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
I am instituting a new visitation policy with my family members from the mainland they each have to bring me 11 lbs of ammo when they come.

Brilliant ! :D

Tom_G

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »

It's been a while, but I know I've ordered from J&G, and 90% certain I've ordered from Brownell's.  For the most part, though, I've opted not to place orders with the ones I've found because of the cost.  Interestingly, one can ship UPS Ground to Hawaii. 

1.  Well, rifle and .22 only.  Even with their recent slight increase in shipping, I can get M2 ball at under a dollar a round delivered to my door. 

2.  Nope!  I'm altruistic, but my friend is doing me a favor.  It's his hookup, not mine to share.  I only use it sparingly, for things that I literally cannot find locally.  But I mention it because it's a viable route to explore. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Seigii

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »
A few years ago I ordered from ammunitiontogo.com.  I was looking for a specific type/brand of ammo and the shops I frequent on big island didn't have and couldn't get it.  After doing the math, for it to come out roughly the same price per round as comparable locally I had to order a lot.  Like 5 cases total, including my specifically sought after ammo.  Big chunk of change to fork over at once.  Sold some to friends to make some of it back.  We have more gun shops now with more variety.  Be aware, if you check out their website it doesn't quote the haz mat and shipping until you add items to the cart and you find the quote box and enter a zip code.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »
Alaska Air is 50lbs per bag!
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

johnjdf2

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
I just received a reply from Able's ammo, they have suspended shipping to Hawaii for a while. They are negotiating with UPS on the HAZMAT issue. They do not have a projected completion date .

zippz

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »
CMP is no longer a deal unless you can purchase it on the mainland and bring it back yourself.

Quote from: Tom_G on February 12, 2015, 09:52:03 AM

It took a couple of exchanges to get actual numbers out of them.  I don't know if they were being elusive, or if it's still new.  But here is a partial list of shipping charges:

438A- (.30 carbine, 500 rd case) $88.95
    444H223- (.223 Hornady 100 rd case) $76.17
    444H3006- (.30-06 Hornady 200 rd case) $85.94
    4c3006x211-240P- (.30-06 HXP M2 bal 240 rds loose) $112.15
    4C3006X000-200P- (.30-06 HXP M2 bal 200 rds loose) $88.35

So, best case, you're paying $0.18/round in shipping.  Worst case, $0.76/round.  The M2 ball is under $0.50/round.  Yeah, that's significant.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu