Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii (Read 344963 times)

bccs22

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and to the gun laws in HI.

I have a few questions, maybe someone can help me with.

Is it legal for an individual to purchase a firearm from another individual in HI?  Like a private party sale.  I realize that permits must be obtained and the firearm must be registered.  Do all transfers have to go thru a licensed FFA dealer?  I'm from a state where private party transactions (under a certain quantity annually) are legal, and I'm wondering what it's like in Hawaii.  Let's say I move there, and bring over a firearm (legally, registered, with permit) and I decide to sell it (say I need the money) can I sell it to an individual or does it have to go to a dealer?

Also, are AR-15s on the no-no list there?  Or is it just a matter of the size of the magazine?

Thanks for any assistance.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »
Welcome bccs22.

Private sales are perfectly legal in Hawaii, with a few caveats. Handgun purchases still need a 14 day waiting period before being transferred. For long gun purchases, usually the buyer will bring along their long gun permit (needed for it to be legal) or do the transfer right at the police station. So just as long as the buyer has a valid permit, everything is GTG.

AR-15's are on the yes-yes list :) (almost everyone has one). The size of the magazine does matter according to most people. Keep it maxed at 10-rds to be on the safe side.

If you have anymore questions, I'd be glad to answer them.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

bccs22

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
Thanks for the answer and the welcome 2a.

I do have another question.  A friend of mine moved to HI a while back and left me with one of his rifles (and alot of other crap still sitting in my storage unit; he couldnt take everything).  Now I'm going to move out there.  Can I bring his rifle with me and give it to him when I get there?  I'm told I have to declare it with the airline, and then take it to the PD within X amount of time.  Can I just turn it over to him and he can take it to the PD since he's going to have possession of it thereafter?  Or is the PD going to be expecting me to check-in myself since I declared it?  I want to make sure whatever I do is legal and I damn sure dont want to be in any trouble.  If you have any idea, please let me know what you think.  Or if you think there are any other better options to get it to him, otherwise he just has to get it himself the next time he comes back to visit.

Thanks again.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
I really can't see anything wrong with what you said. Federally, you should be able to fly with your friend's rifle, just as if you had borrowed it. You can then give it back to him (since it's his) and he'll be able to take it to HPD. I don't believe there is any communication between the airport and HPD regarding the firearms being transported in so there shouldn't be a problem with him taking it in. If there is, there won't be a problem since, again, the rifle is his to begin with.

He could also send it to himself if he were in the same state as you. It is legal to send yourself firearms in the mail as long as you are the sender and recipient. I think the first way is a better option :)
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Tom_G

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
Just for clarification, there's no communication between the airlines and HPD.  You don't need to worry about HPD calling you, or knocking on your door, and asking about it. 

Now, when he takes it to HPD, they will ask him its origin.  All he needs to say is "It's my gun, I just brought it in from out of state."  Technically, he doesn't even need a permit in order to register guns brought in from out of state, whether they are old acquisitions or bought the day before.  HPS will ask him for his permit, but the magic words to repeat are "out of state."
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

stegosaurus

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »
Regarding DUIs and acquiring/registering a firearm... I went to HPD today to register my handgun and I told them I have a DUI on my record from 6 - 7 years ago and that I had the pertinent paperwork from the Dept. of Driver Education. He asked "how long ago?" and when I replied, he said not to worry about it and he never took my paperwork. I guess the DUI only affects your eligibility for a certain length of time but I never asked exactly how long. I'm assuming it's 5 years. Anyone know for sure?
"When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns."

Heavies

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 04:11:28 AM »
A couple of questions. I am coming up on renewing my long gun permit. Do I need t do all the paperwork over again, wait the 14 days, and go back to get the permit? I know with handguns gotta do that for each one. (otherwise I would have more! ;) ) But, If you have to wait, in the case of long guns, especially if the permit is still good, what is the point of making you wait 14 days?

Tom_G

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »
Do I need t do all the paperwork over again, wait the 14 days, and go back to get the permit?

Yes.  Take your old permit with you when you go, it will speed things up.  The only thing you won't have to do the second time is get fingerprinted.  Also, make sure you wait until 14 days before the old permit expires.  If you show up 15 days before it expires, they will refuse to process you.

(otherwise I would have more! ;) )

You have no idea how sad that statement makes me.  Hawaii's laws were designed to be "humbug" to discourage gun ownership.  You're the first person I've heard articulate so clearly "it works." 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
The handgun wait period really, really sucks and it is humbug. I'm sure it works as even my wife has commented on it.  :(

On the positive side, it hasn't affected me :)
I am not a lawyer.

Heavies

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
Tom, Thank you very much for the info.

Also, make sure you wait until 14 days before the old permit expires.  If you show up 15 days before it expires, they will refuse to process you.
This ticks me off. I mean you already have the permit to acquire so what the heck is the point of waiting 14 days?  !More trips downtown!  >:(

You have no idea how sad that statement makes me.  Hawaii's laws were designed to be "humbug" to discourage gun ownership.  You're the first person I've heard articulate so clearly "it works."
I know it is really sad. I know many people that don't buy handguns or do not get another one because of the time involved.  :(  Lots of folks are unable to take multiple days off of work to get all the issues straight with HPD; waiting in the long lines, and, for some, a long drive to town in the middle of the week.
The system does what it is intended to do. Keep handguns out of the hands of hard working, law abiding, citizens.

The liberal, gun hating, law makers fail to realize that criminals don't have to go through a background check, fingerprinting, a fourteen day waiting period, and three trips downtown to get a handgun.

All we can do is try to vote these dingbats out of office.

Old Guy

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
TG, Do Not get Deb started on HPD.  She has a few "words" about that.

I think HPD knows me by my first name by now.

All the more reason why HRA Needs more members who are registered Voters.

So bad laws can be overturned and changed.

Get your friends registered to vote for their guns.

Exactice808

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
Aloha All, I kinda Skimmed through this thread and did a search but to no avail did I find a direct answer.

This is about renewing an expired permit, and what is required:

My Rifle and Pistol Permits expired. I already have weapons registered and would like to currently purchase some new ones. Now from another forums it seems that I just need to go down there with my old permits and register and wait out the 14 days and be done with it.  Others say I need to show all my documents including my Hunters Ed waiver. Which I just cant seem to locate. Now I would hope that they have it on file but if they dont, does that mean I have to do it all over again (take the Hunters Ed, or get the waiver from my commander)?  Problem is Im out of the military now so no access to my commander.

Lastly its been a while but I do have my Instructor Certs when I was teach for a government contract  07-08 but do I need to get an affidavit for it? Or can I just bring those down.

Basically, Im just hoping that I can go down there and renew the permits without having to go to another class or have to contact my commander whom I dont have access to anyway  =/

thank you so much in advance!

2asupport

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »
bump...

Exactice wants to know if he needs to bring in his old handgun cert that he misplaced.   he has already bought and registered handguns in HI. 

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »
I'd venture to guess that you can just bring down your old expired permit and be real nice about it. They may let it go, or they may not. And they might have the old info on file, or they may not.

I don't think I had to reshow my pistol course docs, but my long gun permit also wasn't expired.

As long as you aren't taking a day off of work to go down there or travel across the island, I would just make the trip. You could also call the firearms unit at (808) 529-3371.

Sorry I don't have much more info, but maybe someone else can chime in with their experience.
I am not a lawyer.

2asupport

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
thats where the confusion is,  even if your longgun permit expires you dont need any sort of certification to obtain one,  its a permit to acquire not a permit to own.  even if it expires you just apply for a new one, no classes, no pay.

expired handgun permit isnt even an issue as everyone's handgun permit to acquire expires after the gun is registered.  So when you say you have expired handgun permit you're not alone, everyones is expired.

I have not had to show a handgun certification after the first time.  best bet, call the number above :shaka:

Exactice808

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
thats where the confusion is,  even if your longgun permit expires you dont need any sort of certification to obtain one,  its a permit to acquire not a permit to own.  even if it expires you just apply for a new one, no classes, no pay.

expired handgun permit isnt even an issue as everyone's handgun permit to acquire expires after the gun is registered.  So when you say you have expired handgun permit you're not alone, everyones is expired.

I have not had to show a handgun certification after the first time.  best bet, call the number above :shaka:

Thank you Gentlemen! Im slapping my head, I just realized that too LOL...The Long gun permit is no problem its the Pistol permit. Its for 1 time use only =/. So every time you gotta "re-register" when you purchase another pistol! DOH!

OK well i called them but I couldnt get through...Im going to go down and find out but it sounds like if you registered once then you just have the appropriate weapons info and ID and I should be good to go *Fingers crossed*

Thank you all and I will let you know what I find out!!!

Heavies

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 10:29:03 PM »

Thank you Gentlemen! Im slapping my head, I just realized that too LOL...The Long gun permit is no problem its the Pistol permit. Its for 1 time use only =/. So every time you gotta "re-register" when you purchase another pistol! DOH!

OK well i called them but I couldnt get through...Im going to go down and find out but it sounds like if you registered once then you just have the appropriate weapons info and ID and I should be good to go *Fingers crossed*

Thank you all and I will let you know what I find out!!!

That's the hard part. Sometime the guys at the PD don't even know the rules!  So many inconsistancies!  :P

Exactice808

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
OK So I just came from HPD........*sigh* doesnt look good.....

So Long gun is no problem, but pistol. They said I need to bring everything in to get my pistol registered, Even though Im registered already and I have weapons on file. They do not keep any documents on file so make sure you hold on to those tight and keep it near.  So no joy to just going down their with your ID and Weapon info. You gotta have your Certs/Affidavits with you......Damn.....

hanabataz57

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Aloha Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and am thinking about acquiring my first firearms as well.  I just wanted to get some things clarified.

1.  According to an earlier post, I can still get a Permit to Acquire even if I don't have a doctor?

2.  I plan on buying 2 rifles, one on Oahu for now and one on the Big Island later for when I go back home for vacation.  For now I only know which rifle I will be getting on Oahu, but haven't made up my mind for the other.  When initially applying for the permit do you need to provide information for all rifles you plan on acquiring?

Mahalos!

Dregs

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »
Hanabataz (lol) - #2: No. You don't need any weapons information at all. Government ID & $19.25 & Passport (if you're born somewhere other than US).