My Own little farm (Read 7724 times)

London808

Re: My Own little farm
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
I am 1 step closer to selling eggs commercially,
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

London808

« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »
So i have ready to go 2 sets, I have 100 more eggs on the way so in 60-75 days i will have more to sell.

Kit includes, Cage, feeder and feed, Waterer, 3 FEMALE quails. Additional quails can be added for $15 each. Each quail will lay around 300 eggs a year (or 25 dozen),
I currently sell my eggs for $4 a dozen so one quail  equates to $100 of eggs a year, So this kit equates to $300 a year in eggs.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

oldfart

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
I hatched these guys from eggs with the intention of them being food, These were at no point pets. My 8 year old daughter gives them all names and every 1 is called dinner.

I understand how some people could have a problem eating them tho. (personally i think they are crazzy)
I never seen a quail before that didn't have birdshot in it.
What, Me Worry?

London808

« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
96 more eggs on the way, Havent told the wife yet but oh well.  Im gona plant to do 100 (eggs so around 50-60 hatched quail)  every 3 months, I only need to keep them 45-60 days to get to full size then can harvest and freeze them.
A the moment we cook 1 quail person per meal, 1 meal of quail every month means i need 48 quails a year. I also want to sell live birds so other people can get their own eggs, As well as harvest their own meat.

London808

« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
The quail pen, Currently 16 quails (I think) some arent laying yet but they should start any day.

London808

« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
The quail rack, 4 of the 6 cages have quails. One currently has 6 males who are waiting harvesting, The rest have 3 females and 1 male in each. These are m,y breeders and will allow me to incubate 72 quails at a time once they all start laying.

London808

« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
Each cage in the rack is 20 inchs wide and 24 inchs deep and can hold as many as 10 quail.  In a cmorical setting where your not caring about the quails welbeing as much you could put 20+ quail in that space.

Just to give you an idea that rack is 6ftx5ft or 30sq ft. a commercial setup will grow 400-600 quail in that same space.

oldfart

« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
I've never seen so many in captivity.
Do they make much noise?
What, Me Worry?

London808

« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
I've never seen so many in captivity.
Do they make much noise?

The males can make a fair amount of noise, not as much as a a rooster (chicken) but they only tend to do it when the number of males to females is off balance (you want a 4-1 ratio)

The females are near silent, they make a cute chirping noise but you can't really here it a few feet away.

I harvest my males as soon as they start getting rowdy as to not upset th neighbors to much.

I'm trying to push my numbers up to at least 60 females, that will give me 5 dozen eggs a day. I also want to run enough growouts to be able to eat quail when I want, and also have enough to be able to sell chicks and adults.

London808

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2017, 07:33:44 PM »
Just ordered and outdoor kitchen/table. So expect a quail harvesting video soon.  Its hard to video and get the angles needed in my real kitchen.

changemyoil66

« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Just ordered and outdoor kitchen/table. So expect a quail harvesting video soon.  Its hard to video and get the angles needed in my real kitchen.

Awesome work, keep us posted. :thumbsup:

How many times a week does your family eat quail and quail eggs?

London808

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
Awesome work, keep us posted. :thumbsup:

How many times a week does your family eat quail and quail eggs?

Right now we eat quail meat once a month whilst I build my numbers up, eggs we eat a couple times a week, fronds and neigbours get the rest, so far I am covering my feed and supplies cost  doing this.

Inspector

« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »
Right now we eat quail meat once a month whilst I build my numbers up, eggs we eat a couple times a week, fronds and neigbours get the rest, so far I am covering my feed and supplies cost  doing this.
Yummmmmmm Quail egg shooters. With fresh eggs. Yummmmmmmmm  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dave Brilliant (S)  - Proudly Serving Oahu and the Big Island
Second Amendment Friendly Real Estate Agent RS-77348
(808) 366-8714  dave@davebrilliant.com
Dave Brilliant Website - Da Kine Web Design - Kona Forum - Koko Head Shooting Complex
Kona Ka'u Realty, 75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

London808

« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
So the mainland quails i got are meant to be JUMBOS, meaning they get bigger for more meat and lay larger eggs, What do you guys think ?

London808

« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »

London808

« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »
So how much do quails eat ??

About 25 grams a day each, So currently i am feeding 2lbs a day. 1lb goes to the 24 in the pen and the rest split between my cages.

I use 3 different feeders,  In the pen i have a trough feeder and a bucket feeder,

The bucket feeder gets about 3/4 of the feed, Basically its a 5 gallon bucket with holes cut into the side, The quails can go in and get food as they want, This usually has food left in it all day and is empty each morning. I originally used this feeder with an automatic deer feeder, The feeder sat on top and would dispense food (around 1/4lb) 3 times a day, I recently broke the feeder tho and haven't had the time to replace it.

The trough feeder is basically that, a metal through with a free spinning bar on top that stops birds climbing and standing on it (not really tho) This gets about 1/4 of the feed and is usually gone in a couple of hours.

The 3rd type of feeders i use is box feeders, These are boxs that have a feeding trough attached so that they automatically fill as the quails eat. I use rabbit feeders with a solid bottom (they also come with a grate bottom) I modify them by adding a piece of card inside to reduce the size of the slot and as such reducing the amount of food in the trough. Quails can be messy eaters and if given a big pile of food will throw it all over, In a pen its not to bad as they will pick it up off the floor but in a cage that food tends to be wasted. I am also experimenting with placing 1x1 wire over the through, This reduced the amount of movement they have whist eating and again reduces food waste.

London808

« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2017, 07:24:33 AM »
100 more eggs in the incubator.

drck1000

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »
5 dozen eggs a day!   :o

Are the quail eggs that you are currently getting about the same as typical chicken eggs in the supermarket?  I thought quail eggs were smaller, but some of the ones that you had looked pretty damn big.

This sounds like a good project to give my retired father an interesting hobby.

London808

« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
the jumbo eggs are about 1/2 a chicken egg as opposed tot he normal eggs which are 1/3.

they are super easy to look after tho. Change the water atleast every other day and top up the feed containers.

drck1000

« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
the jumbo eggs are about 1/2 a chicken egg as opposed tot he normal eggs which are 1/3.

they are super easy to look after tho. Change the water atleast every other day and top up the feed containers.
Gotcha.  So even at 1/3 size of normal chicken eggs, 5 dozen is still quite a bit.  I don't eat eggs that often nowadays, but surely good to have a (seemingly) sustainable source.

Just curious, but nutrition wise, are quail eggs pretty similar to chicken eggs?  As in protein and other stuff?