Cyber attacks today (Read 3918 times)

oldfart

What, Me Worry?

rklapp

Re: Cyber attacks today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
I got one of these back in 2014. Fortunately, I was able to go to a previous Restore Point from Safe Mode and remove the ransomware.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
There's a reason ransomware is popular .... because people do pay!

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
I got one of these back in 2014. Fortunately, I was able to go to a previous Restore Point from Safe Mode and remove the ransomware.

This all depends on where the virus lives on your PC. If it can infect the master boot record, a data drive, or another machine on the network, it'll reinstall itself again, and again, and again....

Some machines, like servers, don't create Restore Points of the registry for rollbacks.  At that point, you'll need a backup of the boot disk and a good program to scan the data disks to clean the virus.

Unfortunately, too many people never take the time to do a full backup regularly.  Windows has a very nice backup utility now.  It creates a full image of the disk/disks you select.  You can later mount the image if you want to view or restore individual files or folders, or use it to restore the entire O/S or system with data.

NOTE:  If you do use this utility, use a 2TB or smaller external USB drive to store the image.  Larger hard disks will fail when trying to mount/restore the image.  Another one of those Microsoft "features".
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »

This isnt that,  any amount of restore points will never get your data back.  Your data is encrypted and you are basically buying the key back to your stuff.  Without that key you will never see your stuff again.

London808

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
This hack is based on an exploit that was released this year in the wiki leaks dump of NSA hacking tools, It was patched in march of this year but if you dont  do windows updates well your vulnerable.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

littlemisssunshine

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
These people are surely bored with their life, targeting hospital to gain money.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."
A network analyst at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.

London808

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
These people are surely bored with their life, targeting hospital to gain money.

They dident target hospitals, They target a windows vulnerability, The attacks are done at random.

TBH people that got hit by this attack are responsible for their own downfall, Not only did they NOT do windows updates, They had some one click on a link in an e-mail that got them hacked to start with. Not to mention almost every one that got hit was using an out dated version of windows.

(Just to clarify im not condoning the actions of the hackers, But..... this attack was easily prevented.)
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016