PRACTICAL SHOOTING (Read 6462 times)

branz1029

PRACTICAL SHOOTING
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »
WAS THINKING ABOUT JOINING A CLUB SO I COULD PRACTICE SOME HANDGUN PRACTICAL SHOOTING, BUT WHILE LOOKING AT MPPL CLUB, I NOTICED THEIR SCHEDULES AND REALIZED THAT ALL THERE DATES ARE COMPETITIONS.....IS THERE ANY TYPE OF PRACTICE SHOOTING CLUBS IF IM NOT PLANNING ON COMPETING???

Jl808

Re: PRACTICAL SHOOTING
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:17:21 PM »
Competition is a great way to practice!

You can also check out HDF.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

michalebsdad

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:04 PM »
Competition is a great way to practice!

You can also check out HDF.

Definitely take part in comps...you never know, not only will you get some great practice, you may even get bitten by the competition bug!

branz1029

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
thanks guys, ill look into HDF, the only handguns i have right now are a Sig Sauer P229 Equinox, and a Sig Sauer P226 Stainless Steel Elite, are there strict limitations to the type of handgun

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »
WAS THINKING ABOUT JOINING A CLUB SO I COULD PRACTICE SOME HANDGUN PRACTICAL SHOOTING, BUT WHILE LOOKING AT MPPL CLUB, I NOTICED THEIR SCHEDULES AND REALIZED THAT ALL THERE DATES ARE COMPETITIONS.....IS THERE ANY TYPE OF PRACTICE SHOOTING CLUBS IF IM NOT PLANNING ON COMPETING???
==========================
my 2 cents...assuming you are very new to the hobby

First things first.
1-Get your reloading setup established because you can burn a lot of ammo practicing.
2-Get VERY proficient at handling your firearm on the bench at the 25 yd range. (loading-unloading-jam clearing)
3-Get VERY proficient at slow and moderate paced controlled fire at the 25 yard range.

Then you will be ready for the faster pace of action/practical style of shooting.
Like any other endeavor in life, you must crawl first before you can run.

You will be doing yourself and everybody else a huge favor by becoming thoroughly proficient at gun handling and basic marksmanship before strapping on a holster.

What, Me Worry?

Jl808

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »

==========================
my 2 cents...assuming you are very new to the hobby

First things first.
1-Get your reloading setup established because you can burn a lot of ammo practicing.
2-Get VERY proficient at handling your firearm on the bench at the 25 yd range. (loading-unloading-jam clearing)
3-Get VERY proficient at slow and moderate paced controlled fire at the 25 yard range.

Then you will be ready for the faster pace of action/practical style of shooting.
Like any other endeavor in life, you must crawl first before you can run.

You will be doing yourself and everybody else a huge favor by becoming thoroughly proficient at gun handling and basic marksmanship before strapping on a holster.

Hmmm ... Great advice here from oldfart.

If you haven't gotten 2nd-nature familiar with your firearm yet, haven't learned to clear malfunction, haven't practiced hitting targets at 25 yards consistently, and shown that you can be 100% safe with handling your firearm for a good amount of time (1000+ rounds over a few or several months), you should spend time on it before going to competition. No sense crushing your enthusiasm so early by being at the bottom of the scoreboard for not being able to hit the targets in the first place.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
thanks guys, ill look into HDF, the only handguns i have right now are a Sig Sauer P229 Equinox, and a Sig Sauer P226 Stainless Steel Elite, are there strict limitations to the type of handgun
Not strict limitations as opposed to putting you into certain classifications.  Assuming either of your Sigs are a 9 mm, you can most likely shoot in the Production division.  Not sure what features your P226 Elite has though as that might put you into the Limited division.  In either case, you'll have fun.  I've shot with MPPL the past two years and it's quite fun.  If you are able to safely manipulate your firearm and are safety minded (keep finger off trigger until ready to fire, always keep muzzle pointed downrange, etc.), you'll be fine.  MPPL is more suited for beginners than say HPS or the other USPSA/IPSC groups. 

Your "support" gear will also be a factor.  You'll likely need a minimum of 4 mags, but 6 or more is ideal.  You won't necessarily need all mags in a given course of fire, but it will also help to have the extra mags so that you're not rushing to reload between stages.  Quality holster, belt and mag pouches are a must.  You can probably find decent mag pouches locally, but for holsters, you're probably better off ordering one from a quality manufacturer.  While I see some people using Serpas, I'd personally stay FAR away from those holsters.  They are readily available locally, but there are MUCH better options than that. 

If you do decide to shoot in the USPSA/IPSC groups, just go slow at first and be safe.  Yes, it's a competition and you of course want to do well, but don't try to match the pace of the more seasoned shooters.  Just go at your own pace and build from there. 

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
Practice changing mags blindfolded. Made a big difference for me.

HDF has fun shoot days. You can get some practice. Or an idea of
How things Work.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

branz1029

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »
Not strict limitations as opposed to putting you into certain classifications.  Assuming either of your Sigs are a 9 mm, you can most likely shoot in the Production division.  Not sure what features your P226 Elite has though as that might put you into the Limited division.  In either case, you'll have fun.  I've shot with MPPL the past two years and it's quite fun.  If you are able to safely manipulate your firearm and are safety minded (keep finger off trigger until ready to fire, always keep muzzle pointed downrange, etc.), you'll be fine.  MPPL is more suited for beginners than say HPS or the other USPSA/IPSC groups. 

Your "support" gear will also be a factor.  You'll likely need a minimum of 4 mags, but 6 or more is ideal.  You won't necessarily need all mags in a given course of fire, but it will also help to have the extra mags so that you're not rushing to reload between stages.  Quality holster, belt and mag pouches are a must.  You can probably find decent mag pouches locally, but for holsters, you're probably better off ordering one from a quality manufacturer.  While I see some people using Serpas, I'd personally stay FAR away from those holsters.  They are readily available locally, but there are MUCH better options than that. 

If you do decide to shoot in the USPSA/IPSC groups, just go slow at first and be safe.  Yes, it's a competition and you of course want to do well, but don't try to match the pace of the more seasoned shooters.  Just go at your own pace and build from there.

thanks alot, i will definitely keep all of this in mind when im ready to join and participate

sworbeyegib

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
I did my first ipsc a couple of months ago, and right after the real quick 101, I was thrown right into the matches.  I'll admit my first match I was a bit intimidated, none of the guys in the group I was in wanted to be the one to shadow me and show me the ropes. But after the 3rd match when I got my footing they started complimenting me on my handling skills, and talking a bit more on their personal preferences and experiences while shooting. 

I'll admit I'm still not 100% on the shooting classes, but that was fine with me.  I just enjoyed stretching the legs on my handgun a bit.

branz1029

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
I did my first ipsc a couple of months ago, and right after the real quick 101, I was thrown right into the matches.  I'll admit my first match I was a bit intimidated, none of the guys in the group I was in wanted to be the one to shadow me and show me the ropes. But after the 3rd match when I got my footing they started complimenting me on my handling skills, and talking a bit more on their personal preferences and experiences while shooting. 

I'll admit I'm still not 100% on the shooting classes, but that was fine with me.  I just enjoyed stretching the legs on my handgun a bit.

sounds like alot of fun.......thanks

Jl808

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 05:48:38 AM »
IPSC is A LOT of fun. Planning how you approach the course targets then executing it adds a lot to the shooting practice.

A word of warning... It can get to be a bit like a Disney ride where there is a lot of waiting involved.  If there are a lot of people, you could end up waiting 40-50 minutes for your turn then get to shoot for 2-3 minutes.  There is one couple that always brings folding chairs and a cart to carry their gear, an ice cooler and a large beach umbrella.  Smart.

Despite the wait though, it was fun watching the other shooters go through the course, learning how they approach it and seeing how they do. 

You also get a lot of time to talk story with other shooters during the wait.

branz1029

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »
IPSC is A LOT of fun. Planning how you approach the course targets then executing it adds a lot to the shooting practice.

A word of warning... It can get to be a bit like a Disney ride where there is a lot of waiting involved.  If there are a lot of people, you could end up waiting 40-50 minutes for your turn then get to shoot for 2-3 minutes.  There is one couple that always brings folding chairs and a cart to carry their gear, an ice cooler and a large beach umbrella.  Smart.

Despite the wait though, it was fun watching the other shooters go through the course, learning how they approach it and seeing how they do. 

You also get a lot of time to talk story with other shooters during the wait.

thanks for the info.

808gmac

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »
Aside from the big matches, they (USPSA clubs) have matches usually every weekend...need holster, ammo, 5 magazines (at least), eye/ear protection..It is fun!