If they were to revise the NFA list... (Read 3036 times)

TastesLikeMetal

If they were to revise the NFA list...
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
Let's say they removed Short-Barreled Rifles or Suppressors from the NFA list, individual State laws would ultimately dictate if they were legal where you live right?  Reason I ask is I've been reading about people trying to get SBR's removed but figured it wouldn't matter for us.

zippz

Re: If they were to revise the NFA list...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
You could have a bolt action short barreled rifle.  Or maybe not.  Not sure if Hawaii law would prohibit something like that.

Edit...never mind, that would still be prohibited.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

London808

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
You could have a bolt action short barreled rifle.  Or maybe not.  Not sure if Hawaii law would prohibit something like that.

Edit...never mind, that would still be prohibited.

Sort of, The law contradicts itself in a couple of places.

134-1  Definitions.
"Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm of any shape with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length and capable of discharging loaded ammunition or any noxious gas.

134-8  Ownership, etc., of automatic firearms, silencers, etc., prohibited; penalties.
The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of any of the following is prohibited:  assault pistols, except as provided by section 134-4(e); automatic firearms; rifles with barrel lengths less than sixteen inches; shotguns with barrel lengths less than eighteen inches;

Now the only thing that does is ban Shotguns with a barrel between 16-18 inchs,
The reason being : a Rifle or Shotgun with a barrel less then 16 inchs meets the state law standard of a Pistol and as such is no longer a rifle or shotgun. The characteristics of a rifle or shotgun as defined in federal law are not within the state law and as such are irrelevant. The defintion of pistol clearly states that any firearm of any shape with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length

[/b]
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

michaelkih

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
Sort of, The law contradicts itself in a couple of places.

134-1  Definitions.
"Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm of any shape with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length and capable of discharging loaded ammunition or any noxious gas.

134-8  Ownership, etc., of automatic firearms, silencers, etc., prohibited; penalties.
The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of any of the following is prohibited:  assault pistols, except as provided by section 134-4(e); automatic firearms; rifles with barrel lengths less than sixteen inches; shotguns with barrel lengths less than eighteen inches;

Now the only thing that does is ban Shotguns with a barrel between 16-18 inchs,
The reason being : a Rifle or Shotgun with a barrel less then 16 inchs meets the state law standard of a Pistol and as such is no longer a rifle or shotgun. The characteristics of a rifle or shotgun as defined in federal law are not within the state law and as such are irrelevant. The defintion of pistol clearly states that any firearm of any shape with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length

[/b]

So you're saying that SBRs are legal in Hawaii?

London808

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »
So you're saying that SBRs are legal in Hawaii?

Im saying that the laws in Hawaii are very poorly written and as far as i can tell there i no law that prohibits them by definition. That being said that dosnt mean you wont get arrested, charged and convicted for possession of one.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

RSN172

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
Im saying that the laws in Hawaii are very poorly written and as far as i can tell there i no law that prohibits them by definition. That being said that dosnt mean you wont get arrested, charged and convicted for possession of one.

And that is because our liberal politicians and all of law enforcement management don’t know their ahole from a hole in the ground.  They are stupid, but think they are smart, and that makes them dangerous.

michaelkih

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »

That is pretty interesting.  The written law is the written law.  Tempted to go to the PD to talk with the chief and see if I can bring one of my SBRs here.  I'm assuming that they can just be using the national definition of a rifle though?  Who knows, but cool to know.  Thanks!

rklapp

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 12:11:42 AM »
My understanding is that if it's over 16" then it's a rifle, and under 16" is a pistol that's legal as long as it doesn't have the characteristics of an assault pistol. They basically try to pound square pegs into these round holes with anything you might bring in to register.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

michaelkih

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:03:07 AM »
My understanding is that if it's over 16" then it's a rifle, and under 16" is a pistol that's legal as long as it doesn't have the characteristics of an assault pistol. They basically try to pound square pegs into these round holes with anything you might bring in to register.

So retarded.