Always inspect your brass (Read 1121 times)

ImKu

Always inspect your brass
« on: May 18, 2021, 07:53:36 AM »
Just started reloading again after maybe 4-6 years and unfortunately relearned a few lessons I wanted to share.  First, checking checking OAL of brass is a simple process I do prior to seating primers.  Loaded 100 rounds of 308.  Brought my rifle down the next day to clean, and when I looked at the bolt face I noticed (again) pitting on the surface.  I found that this occurs from loose primer pockets.  The gas escapes and the side of the primer pocket that can cause pitting.  This is where I relearned to really inspect my brass.  I always do, just forgot  :(  to look for those indications of “loose” primer pockets or damage around them.  After a re-inspection of my loaded rounds I found 2 rounds that had issues.  Re-inspected my shot brass and found 5 with issues out of about 300.

Of note, these were 4th shot brass reloads and I do load them a little “hot”.  Future loads I will probably back down the charge to a lower node to save case life.  Hope this helps someone!
 :shaka:
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

sa594

Re: Always inspect your brass
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »
Good reminder with pix...thanks for sharing

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
    Another one is inspecting for Case Head Separation

Case head separation is caused by the firing and resizing process which requires the case to stretch and then be re-compressed.
Unless you track your reload count for each casing (ain't nobody got time for dat wit pistol),  inspect after cleaning for the tell tale "ring" .
This is especially true if you collect brass where you and other known re-loaders are shooting.

In rifles,
Full-length sizing works the brass more that neck sizing by pushing the shoulder back to allow for easy chambering at the cost of more case stretch as it re-fills the chamber back to its headspace dimension.

In pistol cartridges,
This culprit  (shiny ring) is just above the rim past the end of the primer where combustion starts.

The point of stretch is located above the solid web of the case, which when cut open, reveals a well-defined thinner ring.
This ring will eventually become the fracture point of a case head separation.
(Do not confuse this ring with the factory loaded QC ring usually halfway up the cartridge.)
You can also verify with a dental pick by scraping up inside the cartridge to feel the ridge of worn material but best to just toss any suspicions casings.

If reloaded, it usually causes what I call "beer canning" as it's like semi crushing a beer can when you seat the bullet as the worn out interior of the casing is thinner and weaker so the casing collapses there.
Cartridge USUALLY will not load as bulge cannot enter breach (fails plunk test)
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »
Ahh, interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out on that. 

I'm still new to reloading myself and still check out each brass after firing before putting the brass away before leaving the range.  I've only seen primers pushed out, but that was with Fed brass.  I've since switched to Lapua.  While I am not expecting any problems with Lapua brass, this is a good reminder to always check to signs of something going on.  Wear showing up in different areas is something I always have watch for on all of my semi-auto firearms, but also my bolt gun. 

macsak

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 12:00:19 PM »
    Another one is inspecting for Case Head Separation

Case head separation is caused by the firing and resizing process which requires the case to stretch and then be re-compressed.
Unless you track your reload count for each casing (ain't nobody got time for dat wit pistol),  inspect after cleaning for the tell tale "ring" .
This is especially true if you collect brass where you and other known re-loaders are shooting.

In rifles,
Full-length sizing works the brass more that neck sizing by pushing the shoulder back to allow for easy chambering at the cost of more case stretch as it re-fills the chamber back to its headspace dimension.

In pistol cartridges,
This culprit  (shiny ring) is just above the rim past the end of the primer where combustion starts.

The point of stretch is located above the solid web of the case, which when cut open, reveals a well-defined thinner ring.
This ring will eventually become the fracture point of a case head separation.
(Do not confuse this ring with the factory loaded QC ring usually halfway up the cartridge.)
You can also verify with a dental pick by scraping up inside the cartridge to feel the ridge of worn material but best to just toss any suspicions casings.

If reloaded, it usually causes what I call "beer canning" as it's like semi crushing a beer can when you seat the bullet as the worn out interior of the casing is thinner and weaker so the casing collapses there.
Cartridge USUALLY will not load as bulge cannot enter breach (fails plunk test)

pick