Instructors chat (Read 29919 times)

Tom_G

Re: Instructors chat
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
Amongst those of us who became NRA instructors while living here in Hawaii, I'm willing to bet the #1 reason is "so I can teach classes and issue affidavits" as opposed to "because I think the NRA class is da bomb."
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

zippz

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 01:09:54 AM »
NRA training is good in there's at least a minimum standard, widely recognized, easy to follow, and suits a wide variety of people from children to the elderly.  I can see the reason for the muzzle thing for newbies and those without hand strength to be able to hold the gun.  Helps with keeping the muzzle downrange.

NRA is very inflexible though which I dont like.  Very different from Sig Sauers do whatever that works as long as its safe attitude.

I suggest a change in the law where any certified pistol instructor can teach the class, to include military instructors, Sig academy, rangemaster, etc.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Tom_G

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »

I suggest a change in the law where any certified pistol instructor can teach the class, to include military instructors, Sig academy, rangemaster, etc.

POOF! Congratulations! Your wish is actually the law!!!

(1) An approved hunter education course as authorized under section 183D-28;

(2) A firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency of the State or of any county;

(3) A firearms safety or training course offered to law enforcement officers, security guards, investigators, deputy sheriffs, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement by a state or county law enforcement agency; or

(4) A firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor or a certified military firearms instructor that provides, at a minimum, a total of at least two hours of firing training at a firing range and a total of at least four hours of classroom instruction, which may include a video, that focuses on:

Ok, well, PART of your wish is the law.

At LIFE, we get a constant stream of students who are either military or LE, but who are forced to take the NRA class because their higher-ups won't generate the piece of paper necessary for them to comply with HRS. It's not that other options aren't allowed by law, it's that no one is using them.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »
POOF! Congratulations! Your wish is actually the law!!!

Ok, well, PART of your wish is the law.

At LIFE, we get a constant stream of students who are either military or LE, but who are forced to take the NRA class because their higher-ups won't generate the piece of paper necessary for them to comply with HRS. It's not that other options aren't allowed by law, it's that no one is using them.
Yeah.  The certification part is key in that language.  I became an NRA instructor because I am into firearms and after moving back home, I had lots of friends ask me to take them shooting, show them how, etc.  So I wanted to learn how do that properly and I actually started with the NRA RSO course.  Through involvement in HRA, I eventually became certified for basic pistol.  I don't agree with everything NRA teaches, but they do have lots of good things going for them.  The parts about how to be an effective instructor translates to beyond firearms, at least for me.  Like many things with firearms training, I view it as more tools to add to my toolbox, not the end all, be all of instruction. 

screen

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
Where do you guys teach your classes? I know basically everyone uses Koko Head for the range portion,  but i can't find anywhere that i can use as a classroom setting. I would use my home, but I doubt students want to go through the hassle of getting on a military base.
Training available at AthenaeumTraining.com

Tom_G

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
Where do you guys teach your classes? I know basically everyone uses Koko Head for the range portion,  but i can't find anywhere that i can use as a classroom setting. I would use my home, but I doubt students want to go through the hassle of getting on a military base.

Finding a location that is:
A> firearms-tolerant,
B> affordable,
C> appropriate for a decent-sized class
D> even remotely accessable
is a genuine challenge. One of the notable upsides of the days when we (LIFE) used to run classes for the BSA is that we got to use council property.

There are no shortage of places that meet A,C,&D. Hotel conference rooms, rental spaces, temp office sites, etc. But paying to rent tends to put your per-person cost outside of what people are willing to pay.

zippz

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »

Someone here recommended that I use Hawaii Self Storage.  I rent a small locker (put all my gun show stuff in it) for about $65/mo and use their conference room.  The downsides are some locations like Waialae that don't allow firearms on property, but they'll allow SIRT pistols, airsoft, etc.  Other down side is they open at 9am which makes it difficult to fit in the 2 hour range time in the same day.

Honolulu Firearms charges $50 per student for classroom use which includes the range fee.

A couple guys teach the class on the picnic benches at Koko Head range.  Someone else taught it at Koko Marina Zippys.

Adapt and overcome.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

screen

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 08:35:31 PM »
Finding a location that is:
A> firearms-tolerant,
B> affordable,
C> appropriate for a decent-sized class
D> even remotely accessable
is a genuine challenge. One of the notable upsides of the days when we (LIFE) used to run classes for the BSA is that we got to use council property.

There are no shortage of places that meet A,C,&D. Hotel conference rooms, rental spaces, temp office sites, etc. But paying to rent tends to put your per-person cost outside of what people are willing to pay.

What about  places that are B, C, and D? I want to get Refuse to be a Victim and Red Cross instructor certified too,  and wouldn't need a space that allows firearms for that.

Someone here recommended that I use Hawaii Self Storage.  I rent a small locker (put all my gun show stuff in it) for about $65/mo and use their conference room.  The downsides are some locations like Waialae that don't allow firearms on property, but they'll allow SIRT pistols, airsoft, etc.  Other down side is they open at 9am which makes it difficult to fit in the 2 hour range time in the same day.

Honolulu Firearms charges $50 per student for classroom use which includes the range fee.

A couple guys teach the class on the picnic benches at Koko Head range.  Someone else taught it at Koko Marina Zippys.

Adapt and overcome.

I didn't know Honolulu Firearms had a class room,  I'll look into that. Just wish they let you bring your own ammo,  I'd prefer to use bulk ammo for classes to minimize expenses.

Tom_G

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 09:47:08 PM »
What about  places that are B, C, and D? I want to get Refuse to be a Victim and Red Cross instructor certified too,  and wouldn't need a space that allows firearms for that.

B is the universal deal-breaker. Unless you know someone who can do you a favor, or have access of your own to something, you're going to pay Hawaii rates to rent a space. Look for places that operate close to the wire, non-profits in particular. The various flavors of veterans' organizations often have buildings that are reasonable, if you can get on their radar. Churches. Weekends in temp office spaces. Friends who own warehouses. Theatres when they're dark.

zippz

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »

I wanted to get certified in RTBV too but don't want to pay the $250 course fee.  Let me know if you come across a course.  Or else I'll take the online class and possibly be able to teach the instructor course as a Regional trainer.

screen

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »
So is there any instructor certification classes taught on this island (or even in this state) other than NRA basic pistol, shotgun, and rifle? NRA or not.
Even stuff other than firearms, all I can find is Red Cross 1st Aid/CPR instructor, nothing else related to guns, self defense, or first aid.

Also, does anyone know of any shotgun or rifle instructor classes coming up soon? I really want to expand my certs.

Surf

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »
So is there any instructor certification classes taught on this island (or even in this state) other than NRA basic pistol, shotgun, and rifle? NRA or not.
Even stuff other than firearms, all I can find is Red Cross 1st Aid/CPR instructor, nothing else related to guns, self defense, or first aid.
Yes, but they are not "open enrollment."  Some are LE/Mil and those that include the private sector are not easy to get involved with.  It would be easier to find instructor level courses on the mainland, but unlike the NRA that may only require a basic level course as a pre-requisite, followed with simple testing, other reputable organizations will often have more stringent pre-requisites to go with it or much tougher standards in order to pass.   

Also, does anyone know of any shotgun or rifle instructor classes coming up soon? I really want to expand my certs.
No, not anytime soon.  I might also suggest that expanding your knowledge base and functional skills should come first even via non-instructor level courses.  These courses may also offer valuable certifications for successful completion of the course itself.

zippz

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »

I think there may be a rifle instructors class coming up on Maui.

screen

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
Yes, but they are not "open enrollment."  Some are LE/Mil and those that include the private sector are not easy to get involved with.  It would be easier to find instructor level courses on the mainland, but unlike the NRA that may only require a basic level course as a pre-requisite, followed with simple testing, other reputable organizations will often have more stringent pre-requisites to go with it or much tougher standards in order to pass.   
No, not anytime soon.  I might also suggest that expanding your knowledge base and functional skills should come first even via non-instructor level courses.  These courses may also offer valuable certifications for successful completion of the course itself.

I'm mil, I haven't found any special training, other than the minimal training I get as a part of my job.
And I do go to as many training courses as I can afford, instructor or not, but I am still wanting to  expand my instructor certs if possible.

Surf

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
I'm mil, I haven't found any special training, other than the minimal training I get as a part of my job.
And I do go to as many training courses as I can afford, instructor or not, but I am still wanting to  expand my instructor certs if possible.
I support you and others 110% that are willing to invest in their professional development, especially those in armed professions, been there and tens of thousands of dollars later, still doing it.  I don't know Zippz on a personal level, but I do know that as of recent he has been traveling this path of professional development and spending a lot of money on it.  He can perhaps offer you advice on how he used funds for education, that may apply to you one day.  I am empathetic to your situation, so please don't take any of my comments as that of being dissenting or trying to dissuade you, but instead informing you of the availability or lack of availability and challenges here in Hawaii. 

The LE/Mil courses here are not easy to get involved with.  Most are sponsored and hosted by Law Enforcement, and any extra slots may be offered to select Mil personnel.  However, those slots are generally reserved for those with an MOS in that area, or with contacts with the correct people hosting such courses.  Of course, select Mil units may bring in training, but you know how that works.  Indeed it can be frustrating, but that is how it would work anywhere, not just in Hawaii. 

As for "open enrollment" courses to obtain certifications or certificates of attendance/completion, they are far, and few between and as Zippz mentioned there might be a random course here and there, such as the Maui course if it happens, but that is not the norm, but rather the exception.  Open enrollment is pretty much non-existent, so clubs are often the way to go, but if you are working on resume development, that is not always helpful.

There are private events in Hawaii that may include instructor level stuff, but these opportunities are hard to come by.  Some of the biggest names in the business have done events in Hawaii, but getting an invitation is near impossible. 

I am not sure what your budget is, but opportunities for high-quality training are far and few between in Hawaii.  Most people, especially in Hawaii just don't realize what it costs to get vetted professional level training from world-class level trainers, unless if they have sought it out elsewhere.  So comparing prices here is nominal as opposed to traveling expense and the courses here have a commensurate or even cheaper tuition than mainland courses.  Also if you find the right people, the training can be world class.  I suggest that anyone who ever has the chance to get involved should immediately jump on it.   

drck1000

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
Hawaii is definitely a challenging place for training!  I have been lucky enough that my time and budget allowed for me to attend some awesome training all around the US.  I've also been very blessed to have some awesome training opportunities become available closer to home recently.  What you learn is always awesome (assuming you did your research on the trainers), but for me, the overall experience, especially the people you meet along the way, is what I truly appreciate.  I haven't been traveling recently for training due to some family stuff, but I am always looking for more opportunities. 

For a while, I was trying really hard to arrange for one of the trainers that I did multiple classes with to come to Hawaii.  He wanted to, but couldn't get the proper facility.  I had a buddy that was building his own range on Kauai, but that has since fallen through.  I also tried to get them to put on a TCCC course here, but haven't gotten sufficient interest.  Their TCCC course includes shooting, but they were willing to do just TCCC.  Maybe something I'll try to spin up again. 

I haven't approached it from a perspective of trying to get instructor certified.  Other than the NRA Basic Pistol, I don't see anything right now that I am realistically able to pursue.  One might be the Sig instructor series, but don't think I have the time nor funding to complete that any time soon.  I mean I'd love do, but sometimes it sucks being an adult.  Haha

screen

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »

Just got off the phone with them if anyone is interested. Apparently someone signed an exclusive contract with them,  no one else can rent out the class room,  but anyone can still use the range.

Drakiir84

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
Just got off the phone with them if anyone is interested. Apparently someone signed an exclusive contract with them,  no one else can rent out the class room,  but anyone can still use the range.

KHSC silhouette range is $5.  It's where I do all my classes.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

screen

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
KHSC silhouette range is $5.  It's where I do all my classes.
Who do I contact for that? I thought KHSC didn't ren't class space for instructors.

Drakiir84

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
Who do I contact for that? I thought KHSC didn't ren't class space for instructors.

Not class space, I teach the class portion at my house, utilize KHSC for the range and the silhouette side is the way to go.  Technically you could setup a table, tent and some chairs on the grass and teach the class portion there if you wanted to.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper