Prime Sports Hawaii (Read 20634 times)

London808

Prime Sports Hawaii
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
So yesterday i went in search of a few guns, I had some extra cash and decided to give Prime Sports Hawaii a try. I have given myself 24 hours before writing my review.

Location sucks, why ? Parking. Took me longer to find parking then it did to visit the store. Nice sized parking lot 1/2 the spots empty, so why the problem finding parking ? because all the empty spots are tenant/reserved spots. Great parking for employees but not for customers. Secondly the spaces are supper narrow. I was in the wifes Kia so nothing big and had trouble fitting in a space and not being on a white line.

The store. After parking on the roof deck I walked down to the store. Its a small store  with a couple of small display shelf's with some ammo and reloading supplies on display.  A long glass counter is in front of the gun racks where a total of 6 or so guns were on display. All handguns. No inventory on display at all. After seeing the posts on this forum and their Instagram i was expecting at least a basic selection of firearms, but 6 pistols and no rifles on display.

Service now this is where i got pissed off. When i entered the store their was one other guy in the store on his cell phone. So i decide to look around which took all of 60 seconds. I look at the handguns hanging on the wall expecting some one to stick thier head out and say Hey, but nothing. Then the guy on the phone walks behind the counter sits down and caries on his phone call. Now i understand as a business phone calls can be important, That being said it takes 2 seconds to say hey and acknowledge a customer and say ill be right with you. But i got nothing. So i took my ass out of the store and ended up buying my gun else wear.

Will i try the store again ? Possibly But when you compare it to the service (WGS and inventory (OGC) of other locations i think i will have a hard time justifying it to myself.

Others may have got lucky in the past and had the best shopping experience at Prime sports but i dident,
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

zippz

Re: Prime Sports Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 06:32:26 PM »
I've been there once for a quick look (for real) and the guy at the counter was friendly.  It took me a while to find parking also, but then I eventually found the parking in the back.

There are 2 types of gun stores, inventory (larger ones) and non-inventory (smaller stores).  Non-inventory stores do special orders as it's very expensive to keep inventory sitting on the shelves, but they can sometimes get you better deals as it's already sold when they order it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
In this day of information ubiquity, brick and mortar stores are having a difficult time existing. Malls aren't what they used to be. The model of shopping online and having stuff shipped to your home is more common than going to the mall and shopping. It's expensive to maintain a physical storefront with its inventory, labor, rent and other capital investments.
I'm looking to having freight forwarders for my HAZMAT needs i.e. ammo, powder and primers. Stores here have a difficult time competing with places like Powder Valley, Wideners, Midsouth and other mainland based companies.

Interesting I visited Primer sports about 2 weeks ago for 22LR ammo. Reminded me of WGS because there's always that one old man sleeping in the corner who you don't know if he works there or not.
WGS has that "third" employee - an older man who tries to help out - not sure if he works there but I try to avoid him because he treats me as if I don't know the difference between loaded ammo and plain ole BULLETS. Being respectful I listen to him as much as I can about how a LEE turret press works etc.
Deeds Not Words

London808

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »
when an admin gets a chance can you move this to the reviews section, my bad
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Bushido

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:57 PM »
I go to Prime Sports quite a bit. They have only been opened a short time so I can understand inventory will not be comparable to OGC or others. Henry and the guys there have always taken care of me. He has what I need and it he doesn't, he'll call me when it does come in. For what I buy, his prices are hard to beat. Sorry your experience wasn't similar.

Prime Sports

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »
Aloha London808,
I would like apologize for your experience you had the other day at our shop.  When someone has a complaint or issue we like to take ownership of that issue asap.  I can reassure you that we pride ourselves on our customer service and will work to correct what happend.
We ask you to give us another shot and stop by.  We want to be your go to shop for everything firearm related and other outdoor needs.
Please dont hesitate to contact us for anything.  You can call us at (808) 392-0248, send us a massage or stop on by.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »

Interesting I visited Primer sports about 2 weeks ago for 22LR ammo. Reminded me of WGS because there's always that one old man sleeping in the corner who you don't know if he works there or not.

there's this one guy who's at prime sometimes that must have tourette's
he says "heads" all the time...

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:23:35 PM »
I went in once a while ago and had a good experience. Wasn't buying anything but went in to check on the store and kill time talking story while I waited for the wife to finish work.

What struck me is that even though their inventory was lacking, the owner was ready to order anything you needed and get it to you at a good price. I remember the owner from his days at Security Equipment (i think) before so I guess I got that benefit but other than that if I ever get around to getting a 300 blackout that is where I am going to go back to.

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »

He's weird..... 

Other than that I have had great experiences in Prime Sports.   Sorry you had a bad experience. 

ren

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »

was he asking you or telling you???
Deeds Not Words

whynow?

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:12 PM »
I've been to PSH a few times.  If you go around lunchtime weekdays, yeah parking sucks but at other times parking is pretty good.   Saturday afternoons are good to park in the back close by to the front entrance.   The owner Henry is very accommodating to customers and will order not in stock items for you. 
Before he went on leave a few months ago, he helped to expedite a cerakote job for me.  Once he meets you he will greet you by name.  Like other old timey fishing or gun shops he sometimes has friends talking story sitting around.   Good shop IMHO.

paka808

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
I have been to prime sports a couple of times and service has been good.small shop yes.but Henry will try his best to bring in what you need,and for the partking just go straight to the top parking..always open space up there.

Inspector

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 06:33:54 AM »
I visit PSH regularly (When I'm not dealing with my health). Henry has special ordered several items for me and his prices have always been good (Better than the competition). I need someone like this here as I use certain powders (and other items) that most of the LGS around here don't usually carry or order only small amounts of. Also, I buy a lot of target and match grade .22 ammo. Which mostly only WGS is carrying and charging inflated prices for. But Henry has been trying to bring the better stuff like SK. I noticed that PSH turns over inventory quite regularly and quickly. I was in the other day and noticed that the pistols he advertised the week before were gone already. Since he supports my .22 match ammo and reloading habits I will continue to have Henry and PSH be my go to LGS for most of what I need. I wish Henry all the luck in the world with his business.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

suka

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »
Our shop also carries zero to a few inventory,  Main business is FFL and NFA transfers by appointment only. 

$20 for FFL
$60 for NFA

Cheapest price in town and word get around,

omnigun

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 12:30:08 PM »
Henrys shop is great go there often. Built me a sweet ar15 and special ordered me several stuff.

ren

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
I visit PSH regularly (When I'm not dealing with my health). Henry has special ordered several items for me and his prices have always been good (Better than the competition). I need someone like this here as I use certain powders (and other items) that most of the LGS around here don't usually carry or order only small amounts of. Also, I buy a lot of target and match grade .22 ammo. Which mostly only WGS is carrying and charging inflated prices for. But Henry has been trying to bring the better stuff like SK. I noticed that PSH turns over inventory quite regularly and quickly. I was in the other day and noticed that the pistols he advertised the week before were gone already. Since he supports my .22 match ammo and reloading habits I will continue to have Henry and PSH be my go to LGS for most of what I need. I wish Henry all the luck in the world with his business.
Will pay them a visit to talk about 22 ammo!
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »

Oh no Inspector. You just let the cat out of the bag. Now everyone knows where we get the good 22 ammo from. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blastoff747

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »
Our shop also carries zero to a few inventory,  Main business is FFL and NFA transfers by appointment only. 

$20 for FFL
$60 for NFA

Cheapest price in town and word get around,

Which shop?

Inspector

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 06:30:02 AM »
Oh no Inspector. You just let the cat out of the bag. Now everyone knows where we get the good 22 ammo from. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Bushido,

PM me and I'll tell you what .22 ammo he is trying to get.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 06:48:19 AM »
Henry at Prime Sports supported our last 2A membership drive by donating items and agreeing to be a pickup location for the winners.
 :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?