How many (theoretically) rifles do you own? (Read 1602 times)

tim808

How many (theoretically) rifles do you own?
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
I’ve been trying to stop buying rifles but I alway keep coming up with a reason/rationalization to get another hunting rifle.  Thing is I hardly hunt because I’m old and hunt alone (which is not safe, my friends say don’t do it, yet my wife has no problem with it :-))

7mm-08 - first hunting rifle.  Used as a secondary if let a friend use the 6.5cm
6.5 cm - was just cheap (typo in listing).  Now primary.
30-06 - traded for a 22lr upper I wasn’t using.  want to transfer it to my mom for when I visit Maui.
6.5 grendel - for hunting on private land and in case we run into poachers and need to detain them. 

Never thought I would end up with 4 hunting rifles. 

Now I’m considering a 7mm Rem Mag.   And I’m a recoil wimp.  I got to see how I rationalize this one.

Anyone else have this disease/condition?  Or a good rationalization for the 7mm Rem mag?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:15:52 PM by tim808 »

jc2721

Re: How many (theoretically) rifles do you own?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
I bought my 7mm Magnum for hunting deer in the 90's. 

About 10 years ago it literally gave me whiplash everytime I shot it, so I sold it and bought a 270.  Best hunting gun decision I ever made, but I don't hunt anymore.

groveler

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
I’ve been trying to stop buying rifles but I alway keep coming up with a reason/rationalization to get another hunting rifle.  Thing is I hardly hunt because I’m old and hunt alone (which is not safe, my friends say don’t do it, yet my wife has no problem with it :-))

7mm-06 - first hunting rifle.  Used as a secondary if let a friend use the 6.5cm
30-06 - traded for a 22lr upper I wasn’t using.  want to transfer it to my mom for when I visit Maui.
6.5 grendel - for hunting on private land and in case we run into poachers and need to detain them. 

Now I’m considering a 7mm Rem Mag.   And I’m a recoil wimp.  I got to see how I rationalize this one.

Anyone else have this disease/condition?  Or a good rationalization for the 7mm Rem mag?
"Or a good rationalization for the 7mm Rem mag?"
Goes through body armor at a pretty good range.
Recoil is nothing. Very flat shooting.
But I'm one of those guys with a M1917 Springfield Odd 6 and it has a steel butt plate,
for Alaskan Bear.

tim808

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:15:36 AM »
Groveler - steel butt plate!  That must be for your brother in law that you hate but wants to go shooting with you.

Thanks for the reason/rationalization!

groveler

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
Groveler - steel butt plate!  That must be for your brother in law that you hate but wants to go shooting with you.

Thanks for the reason/rationalization!
I like my BIL. He is a retired Gunny Sarge, that used to be
an arms instructor.

dv808

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »

7mm-06 - first hunting rifle.  Used as a secondary if let a friend use the 6.5cm

You have a 7mm-06?  Or -08?  The 7mm mag recoil will be similar in recoil to the 30-06 but with higher BC's.  I was looking at getting a 7mm mag but also liked the 25-06, 7x57 Mauser, 280 Rem and 257 Roberts.

So many choices.  Just gotta get em all!

Sent from my J8270 using Tapatalk

tim808

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »
Hi C,
I told Paul and Anna I met you.   I didn’t tell Warren or Tim at work yet.  Our workplace is laying off people so it has been kind of crazy lately.

Good eye.  Yes, 7mm-08.  Getting old and have always been dizzy.  Mixed it up with a 30-06.

Thanks to enablers like you and Groveler I bought the 7mm mag.

dv808

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 07:21:40 PM »
Hi C,
I told Paul and Anna I met you.   I didn’t tell Warren or Tim at work yet.  Our workplace is laying off people so it has been kind of crazy lately.

Good eye.  Yes, 7mm-08.  Getting old and have always been dizzy.  Mixed it up with a 30-06.

Thanks to enablers like you and Groveler I bought the 7mm mag.
Nice pickup!  Sucks about work...  Hope you guys aren't affected.

I gotta get something new soon too.

Sent from my J8270 using Tapatalk