Meeting with a State Senator (Read 3930 times)

zippz

Meeting with a State Senator
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »
Last month I had a meeting with Sen Espero  at the Capitol.  At his previous Gun Control community meeting earlier this year he said anyone was welcome to sit down and talk with him about guns, so I took him up on his offer.  I just looked him up in the directory (http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/members/legislators.aspx?chamber=all) and emailed him for a meeting, and his office responded the next day and made an appointment to see him the following day.  We talked about our backgrounds and then got into guns.  We discussed how I got started, what kind of things I do, and why I shoot guns.  We discussed some legislative things like rapbak, CCW, permitting requirements, and other topics.

Everything went well and he was welcoming and seemed interested in what I had to say.  I tried to see things from his viewpoint too.  I know I didn't outright change his views on guns, but maybe I helped him to see things from a citizens perspective and he'll remember that down the road.

I suggest everyone here do the same and have a meeting with their district's senator and representative, and also others such as Sen Espero that are anti-gun.  If everyone on this board did the same then maybe things will slowly change down the road.  Most of the Senators and Representatives not in leadership positions are out of session so do not work at the Capitol, but they still respond to emails so ask to meet with them at their Capitol office or somewhere else, or at least talk to them over the phone.  Or attend your monthly neighborhood board meeting (http://www.honolulu.gov/nco/boards.htm) where your Senators and Representatives usually attend.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

Re: Meeting with a State Senator
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Earlier this year I also had a chat with Rep Sam Kong, who is pro gun.  He was also very welcoming and we had a good talk.

I thought it would be intimidating at first, but everyone was nice.  It's a good time to chat with them now as things get hectic during the legislative session (Jan-May)
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
I have Ken Ito who is already pro gun as I recall. Wanted to talk to him about a separate issue (food stamp reform) but never returned my call.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
I have Ken Ito who is already pro gun as I recall. Wanted to talk to him about a separate issue (food stamp reform) but never returned my call.

Another option is to call the office and see if he'll be attending the neighborhood board meeting, you may be able to catch him there for a quick talk.

z06psi

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
So I have also been talking with Mr. Espero since he was the sponsor of the bill.  He referred me to Major Robinson at HPD, who was the creator BTW, and never received any replies to two of my emails. Even with Mr. Espero forwarding my email.     

I am really tired of public officials paid with my family's tax dollars who are not accountable to the public.

I am not aware of any information on Rapback other than what is written in that purposely vague law.  No answers from our elected, paid, and appointed "officials".

I re-engaged with Mr. Slom this morning and awaiting an answer from him.

London808

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »
So I have also been talking with Mr. Espero since he was the sponsor of the bill.  He referred me to Major Robinson at HPD, who was the creator BTW, and never received any replies to two of my emails. Even with Mr. Espero forwarding my email.     

I am really tired of public officials paid with my family's tax dollars who are not accountable to the public.

I am not aware of any information on Rapback other than what is written in that purposely vague law.  No answers from our elected, paid, and appointed "officials".

I re-engaged with Mr. Slom this morning and awaiting an answer from him.

Espero was asked to put the bill up, he had no idea what it was, As you can see from the other post, They have no system in place and no legal way to implement rap back and i for 1 intent to do everything i can to keep it that way.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

zippz

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »

You could try and write to the Chief and say that the Major isn't responding to your emails.  If that doesn't work then write to the police commission that no one, including the Chief, is responding to you.  That should get the ball rolling.

Gordyf

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:21 PM »
You could try and write to the Chief and say that the Major isn't responding to your emails.  If that doesn't work then write to the police commission that no one, including the Chief, is responding to you.  That should get the ball rolling.

Ya really think?????
Aloha
Gordy

rpoL98

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
Will Espero, Moron Leader, chief proponent of RapBack, running for city council, Mililani, Ewa Beach, Waipahu.
don't support.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
Last month I had a meeting with Sen Espero  at the Capitol.  At his previous Gun Control community meeting earlier this year he said anyone was welcome to sit down and talk with him about guns, so I took him up on his offer.  I just looked him up in the directory (http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/members/legislators.aspx?chamber=all) and emailed him for a meeting, and his office responded the next day and made an appointment to see him the following day.  We talked about our backgrounds and then got into guns.  We discussed how I got started, what kind of things I do, and why I shoot guns.  We discussed some legislative things like rapbak, CCW, permitting requirements, and other topics.

Everything went well and he was welcoming and seemed interested in what I had to say.  I tried to see things from his viewpoint too.  I know I didn't outright change his views on guns, but maybe I helped him to see things from a citizens perspective and he'll remember that down the road.

I suggest everyone here do the same and have a meeting with their district's senator and representative, and also others such as Sen Espero that are anti-gun.  If everyone on this board did the same then maybe things will slowly change down the road.  Most of the Senators and Representatives not in leadership positions are out of session so do not work at the Capitol, but they still respond to emails so ask to meet with them at their Capitol office or somewhere else, or at least talk to them over the phone.  Or attend your monthly neighborhood board meeting (http://www.honolulu.gov/nco/boards.htm) where your Senators and Representatives usually attend.

From what I have seen in the way you communicate I think that at the very least you helped present a more positive image of firearm enthusiasts and to help breakdown any idea of a gun nut he might have had. Probably didn't sway him much but even if you softened him a little, you have made progress.

zippz

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 09:34:19 PM »
Not sure if you guys saw this thread is from 2016.