SB3196 - Testimony Numbers Manipulation (Read 1544 times)

Q

SB3196 - Testimony Numbers Manipulation
« on: February 25, 2024, 02:28:47 AM »
Felt this needed its own post. Delete if redundant.

Decided to do some major grunt work related to these testimonies. While scanning through the pdf files of testimonies submitted, I discovered the following:

- 193 copy-paste email testimonies sent directly to Rhoads from Everytown for Retardation, beginning with the phrase "I'm urging you to protect Hawai'i residents like me..."

- 474 copy-paste email testimonies sent directly to Rhoads from Everytown for Retardation, beginning with the phrase "Please protect Hawai'i residents like me from gun violence..."

- 71 individuals submitted at least two testimonies using both phrases.

- Of the 71 multiple submissions, 42 are triple submissions, meaning their names are listed 3 times in the pdf files.

- All 667 emails were sent directly to Rhoads via everytownʻs email. I wasnʻt able to check if they submitted official testimony through the legislature site as well.

I believe it might be a good talking point to bring up with those senators on the JDC committee will influence the vote on Tuesday, as this can be interpreted as interference and manipulation of the numbers to justify passing this in light of strong opposition; especially considering Rhoadsʻ clear anti-constitutional biases, his affiliations with Everytown. and the fact that he is the individual who included these emails as official testimony on the record.

716x

Re: SB3196 - Testimony Numbers Manipulation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 03:29:17 AM »
thanks for taking the time, making the effort for this tedious analysis.  painful to count, but very insightful.  good job.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 03:53:29 AM »
that's awesome detective work :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 08:05:21 AM »
Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 08:35:45 AM »

Decided to do some major grunt work related to these testimonies. While scanning through the pdf files of testimonies submitted, I discovered the following:

- 193 copy-paste email testimonies sent directly to Rhoads from Everytown for Retardation, beginning with the phrase "I'm urging you to protect Hawai'i residents like me..."

- 474 copy-paste email testimonies sent directly to Rhoads from Everytown for Retardation, beginning with the phrase "Please protect Hawai'i residents like me from gun violence..."

- Of the 71 multiple submissions, 42 are triple submissions, meaning their names are listed 3 times in the pdf files.

- All 667 emails were sent directly to Rhoads via everytownʻs email. I wasnʻt able to check if they submitted official testimony through the legislature site as well.

I believe it might be a good talking point to bring up with those senators on the JDC committee will influence the vote on Tuesday, as this can be interpreted as interference and manipulation of the numbers to justify passing this in light of strong opposition; especially considering Rhoadsʻ clear anti-constitutional biases, his affiliations with Everytown. and the fact that he is the individual who included these emails as official testimony on the record.

Appreciate your work.  I already submitted testimony on the JDC hearing so I don't think I can submit another one but I will email the JDC Senators individually and share my concerns about the above information you uncovered.

Thanks again.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 02:29:39 PM »
Mahalo for bringing this to hifico’s attention. We have sent a letter to Senate President Kouchi as well as the members of the JDC exposing the duplicate and triplicate emails as well as asking why emails were allowed to be submitted in the first place.

[quote by author=Q link=topic=52781.msg475629#msg475629 date=1708864127]

[/quote]

zippz

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 06:28:41 PM »
There's a lot more dupes that aren't listed.  A sample of missing dupes:

Darcy Ing
M Moran

There could be 50 to 100 more dupes in there.  But thanks to Q we got a starting point for the complaint.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Q

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 10:01:21 PM »
There's a lot more dupes that aren't listed.  A sample of missing dupes:

Darcy Ing
M Moran

There could be 50 to 100 more dupes in there.  But thanks to Q we got a starting point for the complaint.

Yes I realized this later as I was cross referencing only the names from the first email with the second. I suspect it's going to be higher, thereby driving legitimate support testimony numbers even lower

randay

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 06:39:18 AM »
where do we expect this to go?

Shoboshi

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 06:53:24 AM »
Thanks Q! Saved us from the work. I expected the same strategy as the first round of testimonies where they submitted mass copy-paste to manipulate the numbers.

macsak

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 07:10:26 AM »
vote is this morning at 9:33 am
if it loses in this committee, it is dead
if it passes, then it goes to the house floor for a vote...

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 07:44:26 AM »

So the possible next step is SB3196 goes to the House floor for a vote and not the Senate?

Pardon me for asking I don't know the legislative process very well.  Just trying to prepare which representative to contact if this bill goes through the JDC Committee. :shaka:

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 08:17:35 AM »
So the possible next step is SB3196 goes to the House floor for a vote and not the Senate?

Pardon me for asking I don't know the legislative process very well.  Just trying to prepare which representative to contact if this bill goes through the JDC Committee. :shaka:

If it passes this committee, it goes to the senate floor for a vote.

Then off to the house committees if it passes the senate floor vote.

randay

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 08:38:12 AM »

I meant the "testimony numbers manipulation".

Q

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 08:50:38 AM »

I have reached out to major news outlets and pro-2a channels with this info to hopefully report on it. Not sure if it will get on they radar.

My primary purpose locally was to provide an additional talking point for the Hawai'i 2a community to bring up with members of the JDC committee or other elected representatives, should this bill go forward.

macsak

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 10:01:40 AM »
not sure
it could be nothing, or a slap on the wrist, we are hoping for more...

I meant the "testimony numbers manipulation".

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 01:22:45 PM »
Zip and Teichi and London and myself went to talk to all the senators involved this morning.
We presented them with the inflated numbers that Q provided.
Rhoads looked at it and looked concerned.
I'll just leave it as that.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 02:13:39 PM »
If it passes this committee, it goes to the senate floor for a vote.

Then off to the house committees if it passes the senate floor vote.

Thanks! :shaka:

Q

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 06:14:10 AM »
The Grind Continues....

Decided to go through the copy-paste emails again. Here are the new numbers:

- Total copy-paste emails to Rhoads: 667

- Testimonies where the same name appears four times : 1

- Testimonies where the same name appears three times : 42

- Testimonies where the same name appears two times using a single email template : 133

- ITestimonies where the name appears two times using both templates : 30

Total testimonies after removing names with multiple submissions : ~417

Also went through the testimonies pdf using the keyword "SUPPORT", which triggered 394 hits from the entire document. Of the 394 hits, a total of ~120 testimonies were in support.

A second search was conducted using the the keyword "OPPOSE"; that triggered 1,376 hits throughout the pdf. Someone else can count those.

Total count for support testimonies comes out to ~537, assuming you consider the copy-paste emails legitimate. I donʻt, as they were all sent from a single email address and because over +1000 people from both sides took the time to submit official testimony, both through the website and through email, in their own words and (for the email testimonies) using their own emails. Therefore, my personal count stands at ~120, but it is what it is.

This does not exclude individuals who are not from here (casually noticed several zip codes were not from Hawaiʻi) or those who may have may have submitted duplicate testimony through both email and the state legislature site, which would likely drive the actual count lower.

Oh and side note: Bronze Star Chris is one of those whose name appears 3 times  :shaka:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 06:26:58 AM by Q »

macsak

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 06:48:10 AM »
mahaloQ
 :shaka:

The Grind Continues....

Decided to go through the copy-paste emails again. Here are the new numbers:

- Total copy-paste emails to Rhoads: 667

- Testimonies where the same name appears four times : 1

- Testimonies where the same name appears three times : 42

- Testimonies where the same name appears two times using a single email template : 133

- ITestimonies where the name appears two times using both templates : 30

Total testimonies after removing names with multiple submissions : ~417

Also went through the testimonies pdf using the keyword "SUPPORT", which triggered 394 hits from the entire document. Of the 394 hits, a total of ~120 testimonies were in support.

A second search was conducted using the the keyword "OPPOSE"; that triggered 1,376 hits throughout the pdf. Someone else can count those.

Total count for support testimonies comes out to ~537, assuming you consider the copy-paste emails legitimate. I donʻt, as they were all sent from a single email address and because over +1000 people from both sides took the time to submit official testimony, both through the website and through email, in their own words and (for the email testimonies) using their own emails. Therefore, my personal count stands at ~120, but it is what it is.

This does not exclude individuals who are not from here (casually noticed several zip codes were not from Hawaiʻi) or those who may have may have submitted duplicate testimony through both email and the state legislature site, which would likely drive the actual count lower.

Oh and side note: Bronze Star Chris is one of those whose name appears 3 times  :shaka: